Tactical training

physical fitness is something that should get equal attention if you're considering firearms for self-defense.
Nonsense…

96C576CF-4183-462B-BEB8-C193D48F8EC6.jpeg

Joking aside, I've recently started hitting the gym regularly (working with a personal trainer) for the first time ever lol. In theory it should help with being a little quicker on my feet and have more explosive movement for action shooting competitions. But now after having a newborn, I haven't been to a match since October lol.

Depending on how deep you want to go, Sig may become a bit restrictive since a good portion of their classes aren't open to the general public (thinking night vision, counter ambush, etc.) and they don't have much in the way of combative, which is really critical. Luckily there are alternatives and very few really have the time, funds, and bandwidth to dedicate to that sort of training unless it's your job, and in that case .gov is paying for it anyway.
I saw Sherif/KAG Arms and another guy I know posting some videos (FB or Instagram) of low light shooting (from inside and behind cars) up at Sig. I didn't ask them about it but was curious how you get into those events as I know they ain't letting joe smoe off the street to show up to this. I've shot at Sig on their outdoor ranges for USPSA/IDPA type matches but not indoors.

I'm interested in rifle/carbine classes. I'm past the fundamentals and am pretty accurate out to 300 yards ( that's the farthest setup at my local range ). Basically looking for anything beyond fundamentals. Shooting and moving, clearing rooms, CQB, etc.

Cant help with CQB training, Uncle Sam trained me to do that and I had no idea you can take a class to learn to clear rooms outside of the military or LE.

Are there civilian CQB classes with targets using live rounds available, I would like to do that again lol No idea how that would translate outside of war or LE, but it was kinda fun.

Cant help with CQB training, Uncle Sam trained me to do that and I had no idea you can take a class to learn to clear rooms outside of the military or LE.

Are there civilian CQB classes with targets using live rounds available, I would like to do that again lol No idea how that would translate outside of war or LE, but it was kinda fun.
Ridgeline had a cqb course, I heard it was good

Would be interesting and definitely fun if you can use live rounds, but I would have to have money seriously burning a hole in my pocket due to not ever being able to use what I learn there in any practical applications lol
Agreed, theres definitely other classes id take before that one

Thanks looking into it now....do you have any experience with their courses?
Yes, I have taken several pistol courses and an intermediate rifle course. They are all very addictive and you want to go back for more. Sounds like there is lots of good advice on your thread, all you have to do is check out everything and go try one. Good luck

Definitely more options than i expected.. that being said I appreciate everyone's input its been very helpful. Time to do some more research and figure out which route I'd like to go. Thanks again

…. But the biggest thing I'd have to say, is have fun. If you're not having fun, it's not with the money in classes and ammo. Remember, yes the training may save you're life (hopefully not needed), but if you can't joke around and have some ball busting fun with the instructors or people in the class, it's not worth going.
I’ve done classes in 30-something degrees, raining, and soaked, and I can tell you it was a learning experience, but definitely not “fun”!

The only advice i’ll give is, wherever you decide to train, read the equipment list carefully and do not be the guy that shows up with a gun that isn’t zeroed!!

Nonsense…

View attachment 726131

Joking aside, I've recently started hitting the gym regularly (working with a personal trainer) for the first time ever lol. In theory it should help with being a little quicker on my feet and have more explosive movement for action shooting competitions. But now after having a newborn, I haven't been to a match since October lol.

I saw Sherif/KAG Arms and another guy I know posting some videos (FB or Instagram) of low light shooting (from inside and behind cars) up at Sig. I didn't ask them about it but was curious how you get into those events as I know they ain't letting joe smoe off the street to show up to this. I've shot at Sig on their outdoor ranges for USPSA/IDPA type matches but not indoors.
Fame.

You might find some interesting conversations in this sub:

Especially useful are the three stickied posts from @jeffwatch about how to prep for your class

I’ve done classes in 30-something degrees, raining, and soaked, and I can tell you it was a learning experience, but definitely not “fun”!

The only advice i’ll give is, wherever you decide to train, read the equipment list carefully and do not be the guy that shows up with a gun that isn’t zeroed!!
I have too. But I made the most of it.

I had a class that was downpuring the entire morning. That was the biggest lesson teaching day.

I'm going to bet that was a VTAC class with Kyle Lamb which is open to the public, but usually sells out fast.

I'm just salty that I can't take their Night Vision Operator class otherwise Sig is good shit.

I'm going to bet that was a VTAC class with Kyle Lamb which is open to the public, but usually sells out fast.

I'm just salty that I can't take their Night Vision Operator class otherwise Sig is good shit.
Just looked at his instagram post and I see Kyle Lamb in one of the photos so I'd say you're correct. This was in early December

I'm jealous you have night vision equipment $$$ [laugh]

I'm interested in rifle/carbine classes. I'm past the fundamentals and am pretty accurate out to 300 yards ( that's the farthest setup at my local range ). Basically looking for anything beyond fundamentals. Shooting and moving, clearing rooms, CQB, etc.
Most rifle/carbine classes aren’t going to cover actual tactics. Rifle/carbine classes will still be worthwhile. But there aren’t many places teaching actual tactics for maneuvering.

The problem with taking maneuver/CQB training classes as a civilian is that it’s all team based training.

People need to take the course with their “teams” and continue training as a team after the fact. Very few groups actually do that.

But yes, there are some schools that teach various courses in this type of training to civilians. Including both force on force with simunitions and live fire. I don’t have a good recommendation off the top of my head though.

to get the most of room clearing you need to have a good understanding and lots of practice of fundamentals of moving shooting mechanics.

And a group of like-minded guys with whom you’ll actually continue training.

The problem with taking maneuver/CQB training classes as a civilian is that it’s all team based training.

People need to take the course with their “teams” and continue training as a team after the fact. Very few groups actually do that.

But yes, there are some schools that teach various courses in this type of training to civilians. Including both force on force with simunitions and live fire. I don’t have a good recommendation off the top of my head though.

I was about to say that. As someone that has taught mil breaching classes, MOUT etc everything revolves around team movements. Sure you can individually breach anything, just keep that in mind.

Yup...But if people are willing pay to SWAT LARP, more power to the people capitalizing off of it. I would be curious to see the kinda shoothouse they have set up for civilians.

Might be a fun team building thing to do, more fun than an escape room at least lol

Yeah, I don't think I would take a live fire CQB or any kind of tactics class with people I don't trust pretty well.

Sims in a shoot house? Sure.

I was about to say that. As someone that has taught mil breaching classes, MOUT etc everything revolves around team movements. Sure you can individually breach anything, just keep that in mind.

I hated MOUT training way back when, I could never imagine paying to do it lol Now? Shit, I would do it if I was able to breach some doors with C4 :)

I hated MOUT training way back when, I could never imagine paying to do it lol Now? Shit, I would do it if I was able to breach some doors with C4 :)
Hahah, I feel you. Not all MOUT training is the same, depends who you are teaching. It can get very complex.

It’s also superior tactical wise to survival scenarios if you manage to form any sort of teams, squads etc.

Back
Top Bottom