Tactical training

I’d second Sig Academy. Was involved there years ago but in all a solid choice of programs.
Seems like it. Looks like they are exactly what I'm looking for. Just want to learn as much as i can and you can only do so much at the local range

I should add that it's perfectly fine to not know where to start and to pose such a generalized question. But you've gotta put some thought into this before anyone can help you - there's a big difference between wanting to get better with your carry gun vs wanting to clear buildings with a rifle as part of a team. Tell us what your goals are, even if it's very vague and undefined.

This is pretty open-ended... What exactly are you looking for? Pistol, rifle, or shotgun? Shooting fundamentals, tactics, competition, looking cool on Instagram, etc?
What kind of tactical training?
I'm interested in rifle/carbine classes. I'm past the fundamentals and am pretty accurate out to 300 yards ( that's the farthest setup at my local range ). Basically looking for anything beyond fundamentals. Shooting and moving, clearing rooms, CQB, etc.

I can practice a decent amount of pistol drills at my range. They have 3 outdoor pits and there is usually at least 1 thats empty so it's kind of free reign. But we only have 1 rifle range and it's limited to bench or prone shooting

I'm interested in rifle/carbine classes. I'm past the fundamentals and am pretty accurate out to 300 yards ( that's the farthest setup at my local range ). Basically looking for anything beyond fundamentals. Shooting and moving, clearing rooms, CQB, etc.
Ridgeline not SIG for that

I recommend Sig. They are great and I train there often. They will have everything you need from tactical, ccw, medical etc..

Don’t listen to the idiots who offer nothing and just shit all over your question. The question was pretty simple to me. The question was pretty cut and dry…You want tactical training…go to Sig 👍🏻

I recommend Sig. They are great and I train there often. They will have everything you need from tactical, ccw, medical etc..

Don’t listen to the idiots who offer nothing and just shit all over your question. The question was pretty simple to me. The question was pretty cut and dry…You want tactical training…go to Sig 👍🏻
Examples?

OP: go look at Ridgeline as others have stated.

I'm going to be taking some Tactical Dynamics classes in Foxboro, MA this summer for pistol classes maybe shotgun. Cass Training Group in Granby, MA has some great classes for both pistol and rifle I might be taking as well at some point.
Tactical dynamics is good for a quick class. The instructure are ok, I took a class where obe of the instructors put a round into the baffles

If rather @OnSight Firearms Training or sig or Ridgeline

Tactical dynamics is good for a quick class. The instructure are ok, I took a class where obe of the instructors put a round into the baffles

If rather @OnSight Firearms Training or sig or Ridgeline
Yup. I'd pass on Tactical Dynamics. Took a class there that was supposed to be more intermediate and found most drawing from a holster for the first time ever. It was obvious that the majority of the class had no business being there, but not to dissuade anyone, the instructor thought some timed firing from the holster would be beneficial. After getting flagged by Barney Fife on my left two times, I was like "I'm good!"

Look at @OnSight Firearms Training - I took their carbine class last year and it pushed me. Not as advanced as Ridgeline but definitely not for a total beginner either, it was a great intermediate class imho.

That said, you should probably master the basics before trying to do advanced stuff. I've been seeing a lot of trainers I respect lately talking about guys coming to a CQB class but they can barely hit anything, sights aren't zeroed, reloads take forever, etc. Personally, I'm pretty sure that going to Ridgeline would be a waste of my time and money right now, I'm not good enough. Just my two cents, don't take classes for the sake of taking classes.

I haven't taken any classes other than safety classes so for me, any class will help me get better regardless on who I take it with. Have shot a lot but haven't taken any classes to get more advanced at shooting. I'm taking tactical dynamics classes first (right down the street from where I live) to get some basics down then going to move to more advance classes like cass training group has once I get more comfortable. I haven't started yet but that's my plan as I want to get a lot better this year at shooting. I'm not set on these plans just giving you the options in Massachusetts I have found from trying to search for the same classes OP is looking for...

I haven't taken any classes other than safety classes so for me, any class will help me get better regardless on who I take it with. Have shot a lot but haven't taken any classes to get more advanced at shooting. I'm taking tactical dynamics classes first (right down the street from where I live) to get some basics down then going to move to more advance classes like cass training group has once I get more comfortable. I haven't started yet but that's my plan as I want to get a lot better this year at shooting. I'm not set on these plans just giving you the options in Massachusetts I have found from trying to search for the same classes OP is looking for...
Just be safe. That's the biggest thing I can say.

If you're unsure on the drill or instructions, ask. Take it slow till you're more comfortable with everything, and practice dry fire at home from holster (even if your local range allows it).

But the biggest thing I'd have to say, is have fun. If you're not having fun, it's not with the money in classes and ammo. Remember, yes the training may save you're life (hopefully not needed), but if you can't joke around and have some ball busting fun with the instructors or people in the class, it's not worth going.

I'm still in contact with a few people I took a class with a few years ago, and it's that kind of comodery that comes from these.

you may also want to look at mass firearms for other beginner courses if you haven't taken them, to help build good safety practices

Sig looks like they have a lot of great classes..but Ridgeline looks like it's really catered to what I'm looking for. Thanks for the info guys its greatly appreciated
Ridgeline is 100% what you are looking for.

Sig is convenient, but it's like the big box store of training facilities.

I haven't taken any classes other than safety classes so for me, any class will help me get better regardless on who I take it with.
I would disagree with that. There are a lot of mall cop instructors out there teaching pure garbage. Whatever class you find, make sure to thoroughly vet the instructor(s) beforehand.

Just be safe. That's the biggest thing I can say.

If you're unsure on the drill or instructions, ask. Take it slow till you're more comfortable with everything, and practice dry fire at home from holster (even if your local range allows it).

But the biggest thing I'd have to say, is have fun. If you're not having fun, it's not with the money in classes and ammo. Remember, yes the training may save you're life (hopefully not needed), but if you can't joke around and have some ball busting fun with the instructors or people in the class, it's not worth going.

I'm still in contact with a few people I took a class with a few years ago, and it's that kind of comodery that comes from these.

you may also want to look at mass firearms for other beginner courses if you haven't taken them, to help build good safety practices
I appreciate the advice! Like I said I am a newerish shooter and just trying to get better so any advice is appreciated! I will certainly keep that in mind moving forward with training!

I would disagree with that. There are a lot of mall cop instructors out there teaching pure garbage. Whatever class you find, make sure to thoroughly vet the instructor(s) beforehand.
noted! I will certainly ask many questions before taking a class! I'm just starting to look into classes so I only know of a few places and what I stated above is just from my own research. Appreciate your take on it!

Sig Sauer Academy is definitely a great place to start. Martial arts training and physical fitness is something that should get equal attention if you're considering firearms for self-defense.

Depending on how deep you want to go, Sig may become a bit restrictive since a good portion of their classes aren't open to the general public (thinking night vision, counter ambush, etc.) and they don't have much in the way of combative, which is really critical. Luckily there are alternatives and very few really have the time, funds, and bandwidth to dedicate to that sort of training unless it's your job, and in that case .gov is paying for it anyway.

I appreciate the advice! Like I said I am a newerish shooter and just trying to get better so any advice is appreciated! I will certainly keep that in mind moving forward with training!

noted! I will certainly ask many questions before taking a class! I'm just starting to look into classes so I only know of a few places and what I stated above is just from my own research. Appreciate your take on it!

If you're newish, I would do something like Appleseed (schedulemap | Project Appleseed) before you go on to something like ridgeline. Great way to build basic skills.

Back
Top Bottom