Tactical Shotguns in MA?

Since I'm probably back in MA next year I have to start watching what I buy, I know you can't have pistol grip shotguns, but what about the stock+pistol grip one like the Mossberg #50420 (500). Is this considered different than having a stock with a thumb hole? Also if not, could I bring one in anyways when I move back like when you move into the state with a handgun thats not on the roster or is it considered an assault weapon at that point?

Since I'm probably back in MA next year I have to start watching what I buy, I know you can't have pistol grip shotguns, but what about the stock+pistol grip one like the Mossberg #50420 (500). Is this considered different than having a stock with a thumb hole? Also if not, could I bring one in anyways when I move back like when you move into the state with a handgun thats not on the roster or is it considered an assault weapon at that point?

You might want to do a little more research on what is and isn't an "Assault Weapon" in Massachusetts. You can find all the info you need in the MA Law subforum.

Approved handguns and AW are different animals. Check the stickies in the MA law area of the forum. You will find all of the good info you need there.

Cool, thanks guys. When I had to retake my NRA safety class (in MA) since they wouldn't except the one I had, When the instructor was going over shotguns he pulled out a Pistol Grip pump and followed up by saying "you can't have these" because of the grip. Seemed stupid but ok. I was going to try to look up the law but the MA laws typically make no sense written out so I didn't want to further confuse myself. Figured I'd ask here.

AWB info from the GOAL site.

Read that. You can bring in firearms that are not on the roster here, that is in regards to MA Compliance, as long as they are not classified as an Assault Weapon. Anything coming into state needs to be AWB compliant (see link above.

MA Compliance dictates what a dealer can sell and transfer in MA. Doesn't apply to us normal folks here. Learn the AWB inside and out though because mere possession is a 10 year felony (this includes a magazine over 10 rounds that was manufactured after 09/94).

Cool, thanks guys. When I had to retake my NRA safety class (in MA) since they wouldn't except the one I had, When the instructor was going over shotguns he pulled out a Pistol Grip pump and followed up by saying "you can't have these" because of the grip. Seemed stupid but ok. I was going to try to look up the law but the MA laws typically make no sense written out so I didn't want to further confuse myself. Figured I'd ask here.

That instructor was flat wrong. Unless he was referring to some other feature or something odd about the pump shotgun - perhaps it had an alterned barrel or some such thing.

That instructor was flat wrong. Unless he was referring to some other feature or something odd about the pump shotgun - perhaps it had an alterned barrel or some such thing.

Unpossible....how could anyone be confuesed about mass gun laws? They're all illegal! ( Oh...sorry.....that's just the ideal that a bunch in the .gov are aspiring to..)

my nightstand gun....
perfectly legal in Mass
2011-04-26_10-35-36_680.jpg

2011-04-26_10-36-02_24.jpg

Yeah but a certified instructor should either be sure or shut up :) I love it when non-lawyers dispense legal advice.

Maybe the instructor was referring to that particular gun, and the reason they can't have it is because it is his, and he threw in "in MA" just for the hell of it haha. Just trying to show off his favorite shotgun!

PG shotguns are ghey

That being said, buy the glock,xd, anything you want that is on the "lists" before you come. Because you"ll be able to have want you want an not pay out the add for them

Oh and I forgot to mention earlier. You CANNOT bring any magazines that hold over 10 rounds with you unless they are pre-ban (manufactured prior to 09/94). Welcome to Massachusetts!

PG shotguns are ghey

That being said, buy the glock,xd, anything you want that is on the "lists" before you come. Because you"ll be able to have want you want an not pay out the add for them

Doesn't really matter what you buy, make sure you have pre-ban mags. Because apparently, anything made after the ban isn't going to help commerce....or protect commerce...or some kool-aide mentality the anti's are trying to feed us.

Doesn't really matter what you buy, make sure you have pre-ban mags. Because apparently, anything made after the ban isn't going to help commerce....or protect commerce...or some kool-aide mentality the anti's are trying to feed us.

well theres other guns on the list besides glocks, and some that dont even have highcap mags out there. And also some people might not want highcap mags depending on wether or not they do competitions

The only potential problem with a pump shotgun is the magazine. There's an exemption for tubular .22 magazines, but nothing else. While I haven't found any case law, it would seem that any mag extensions added to a pump shotgun could create a new large capacity feeding device even though the gun itself could never be a large capacity weapon.

Ken

One of the best points I've seen made here (I have no clue what thread) about tubular shotgun mags on a shotgun, is that they are kind of subjective as to capacity. If my pump holds 7 of the 2 3/4" shells, that capacity goes up or down if I use 2" minis or 3" magnums.

Ok...I see Ron GLidden's name tossed around, and see he writes books on Mass. gun laws, and lectures PDs.

But...do his opinions carry any "real" weight. When he speaks, from what authority?

This is not to "dis" him - I think that some folks on here know him personally, and I don't - but if one is in the gray area that apparently is the mag tube extension, would Glidden's opinion cary any extra weight in court in a situation like this?

Among other things, he is the Chairman of the Massachusetts Gun Control Advisory Board (GCAB), who pursuant to Chapter 180 advises the Secretary of Public Safety (EOPSS) on the implementation of Massachusetts firearm laws.

Last edited:
MisterHappy,

Ron Glidden has made it his job to understand the convoluted MA gun laws like nobody else in MA, at least since 1998 when I met him at one of the first lectures he gave to LEOs on the then new law.

His credibility is based on his constant communication with the authors of those laws (yes he used to talk with Queen Cheryl, her staff attorneys, and "side of beef" - her chief of staff . . . they were largely the authors of what we live with today), EOPS Legal Dept., etc. When a question is raised, Ron researches the answer and provides it with an air of authority.

Many others merely tell you what they wish the law was, without putting the research into it to vet the info. I don't always agree with Ron, but I greatly respect his efforts to attempt to make it more understandable.

He also teaches this to new recruits. The value in his book are in the notes which describe things in more down-to-earth words.

MisterHappy,

Ron Glidden has made it his job to understand the convoluted MA gun laws like nobody else in MA, at least since 1998 when I met him at one of the first lectures he gave to LEOs on the then new law.

His credibility is based on his constant communication with the authors of those laws (yes he used to talk with Queen Cheryl, her staff attorneys, and "side of beef" - her chief of staff . . . they were largely the authors of what we live with today), EOPS Legal Dept., etc. When a question is raised, Ron researches the answer and provides it with an air of authority.

Many others merely tell you what they wish the law was, without putting the research into it to vet the info. I don't always agree with Ron, but I greatly respect his efforts to attempt to make it more understandable.

He also teaches this to new recruits. The value in his book are in the notes which describe things in more down-to-earth words.

That's all well and good Len, but I think MisterHappy's question, and the thing I'm wonder, is if you are hauled into court over something and your lawyer offers, "But Your Honor, Ron Glidden said...", is it going to get you off the hook? Ron certainly is a valuable resource, and you've been a fantastic go-between for all of us here and Ron (and Jason Guida too) so please don't think I don't appreciate all of your effort, but it doesn't seem like there is anything legally binding here, just (educated) opinion.

That's all well and good Len, but I think MisterHappy's question, and the thing I'm wonder, is if you are hauled into court over something and your lawyer offers, "But Your Honor, Ron Glidden said...", is it going to get you off the hook? Ron certainly is a valuable resource, and you've been a fantastic go-between for all of us here and Ron (and Jason Guida too) so please don't think I don't appreciate all of your effort, but it doesn't seem like there is anything legally binding here, just (educated) opinion.

You have to remember that it is all part of the picture that needs to be painted. If you want to go around saying there is no authority, then fine - take that to court. A good lawyer is going to have read Mr. Glidden's book - knowing that it is amongst the works used to teach new officers. A lawyer is going to request and training materials which the police have used for their officers. A good lawyer is going to research caselaw, statutory annotations, comparable foreign jurisdiction law, and so forth and will make any and all reasonable arguments on your behalf, regardless of their likelyhood of success. Anyone who is looking to one source for complete authority regardless of the jurisdiction is doing themselves a disservice.

You have to remember that it is all part of the picture that needs to be painted. If you want to go around saying there is no authority, then fine - take that to court. A good lawyer is going to have read Mr. Glidden's book - knowing that it is amongst the works used to teach new officers. A lawyer is going to request and training materials which the police have used for their officers. A good lawyer is going to research caselaw, statutory annotations, comparable foreign jurisdiction law, and so forth and will make any and all reasonable arguments on your behalf, regardless of their likelyhood of success. Anyone who is looking to one source for complete authority regardless of the jurisdiction is doing themselves a disservice.

But I'm not saying there is no authority, I am asking if there is. I admittedly have no idea, I am not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV.

In a court of law, any "testimony" that starts with "Joe said" will be thrown out as "here-say" and inadmissible.

A good lawyer will submit Ron's book into evidence and then quote from it. If it gets "down and dirty" they can subpoena Ron or Jason to testify on the current interpretations of law.

Just like Mas Ayoob testifying as an "expert witness" for a defendant, Ron and Jason can be brought in as "friendly witnesses" or "unfriendly witnesses" and forced to testify by a judge.

Thanks to all. I've been around guns in Mass for a long time, and try to stay abreast and on the right side....but it's a real minefield, when a Firearms ID Card does not allow one to have a firearm (Mass Meaning: Handgun) and empty shotshells, shoveled up and tossed into a dumpster after a shoot, are "ammunition compponents" and need the affore-mentioned FID.
[rolleyes]

My basic question was "Is Mr. Glidden's opinion more than just an opinion?" and it would seem that it is - it's a well-informed opinion. But it's still YMMV, I guess.

Does he do seminars for non-cops? This might be something for GOAL to put together...an opportunity for we the people to see what John Law gets told about the gun laws. Kind of a way to make sure that we're all singing from the same hymnbook.

Back
Top Bottom