Tactical Scope on a BLR 358?

I can get a Bushnell Elite SMRS 2 illuminated dot (1-6.5x) scope for good money, and was hoping it would be a good fit with my BLR 358 (lever action) for Maine bear. Anyone have any thoughts before I pull the trigger ? Thanks!

I vote no for two reasons: first, the BDC won't help you when you're shooting a .358 Winchester as I'm sure the BDC is calibrated for a cartridge more like 5.56 NATO and maybe 5.45x39, and second, there's a vast difference in recoil between 5.56 and .358. Take a look at this recoil energy and velocity chart to get an idea of what I mean. Granted you won't be laying down suppressing fire with the .358, but I think you'd be better off with an optic designed for big bore cartridges.

Rifle Recoil Table

You can figure out the BDC reticle can be used with any ammo its just up to you to see it works with your ammo of choice.
As long as you know your balistics for your cartridge and the scopes reticle subtensions you can figure it out.

as far as if it will be good for bear hunting? No idea i dont even know what ranges you would be poking bear with using .358? A heavy 200 grain bullet? Whats the trajectory like?

I have a trijicon Accupoint on my BLR in
308 works great for low light and fast target acquisition. Not sure how the Bushnell would work if your going for close shots over bait it may be ok.

I have a trijicon Accupoint on my BLR in
308 works great for low light and fast target acquisition. Not sure how the Bushnell would work if your going for close shots over bait it may be ok.
Looked up the OPs scope its a 1 moa center dot with basically a 10moa out ring on 6x that is. Then its mildot for the elevation with some windage/range finders off to the sides.
I only hunted briefly with lever gun , small 4x luepold scope for a bit but went back to basic rear aperture zeroed for PBR of minute of dear. 30/30- about 3" high at 100 yards gave me a point aim aim impact out to about 250 yards , would fall inside a broadside vitalzone shot

Everyone, thanks for the info. Based on the comments, I decided to go with a Leopold VX5- HD (1-5X)
thats a nice little scope, probably look better on the lever gun too.
Duplex reticle is nice and if you take the time to figure out reticle subtensions (might be in the owners manual) duplex reticle makes a easy and quick range finder and you can figure out your own balistic drop points and how they change with magnification.

Back
Top Bottom