Tactical Gear Thread: Lets see your Body Armor, BOB, Vests, Warbelts, IFAK Kits, etc.

atmay

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Does a paddle holster even require a belt? Never used one before.
They benefit greatly from a gun belt just like any other holster, but in a pinch they’ll do the job in sweatpants or gym shorts with the drawstring tied tight. Tight fitting jeans/chinos/cargo shorts sorta work, but you run the risk (esp with a tight holster-gun fit) of pulling the whole setup out of your waistband instead of just the gun from the holster.

boilermaker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
So looking at the various plate options, the basic rundown is the following?

Steel AR500/AR550 - cheap, heavy, multi-hit and less compromised, spall risk unless coated, need trauma pads, seem relatively attainable in the market. Most seem top out at Level III+?

Ceramic composite - next price level up, multi-hit depending on make up and brand, will have deformation, less spall risk (no coating but wrapped?), can get level IV, have a shelf life (technically).

Hescos - Seem to be the top of the market. Lightest weight relative to rating, more advanced ceramic, no spall risk, have a shelf life (technically)

I assume you need trauma pads with all these plates?

Am I missing anything?

Don't want to get into sizing (SAPI, Shooters, Swimmers) that is a seperate conversation.

Brewer

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Not all need trauma pads. Look for “stand alone” in the description, like with these Hescos, to indicate they achieve the NIJ rating without any additional layer.

07BlackHawk

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m buying plates and a carrier. I’m totally nuts considering I’ll never use it, and if I were to truly need it I’d probably be killed before putting it on.

I didn’t mean what I said as a dig, just we all have different levels of what we consider acceptable prices.
youre not totally nuts IMO. I too am buying plates and a carrier. Like you said. It’s piece of mind for me. Probably will never use it, hope I don’t have to. But if the time ever came where I needed to, I’ll be glad I had bought it.

with these ANTIFA soyboys and crazed BLM marching into neighborhoods, can’t be too safe.

jhagberg88

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   1
Is this a JPC carrier?

Care to list the model/specs for the carrier as well as the accessories? All-in or individual prices would be helpful too.

What kind of plates are you running?

Maybe a quick description of why you chose what you did and why it’s set up the way it is?

Thanks in advance.
it’s a medium JPC with medium SAPI plates, attached to it is a Haley strategic chest rig with the AXL placard adapter and swift clips on the side.

Lowbird

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
FYI

Email today from where I've got my plates coming from.
Update from my update.
I should get mine in about 2 weeks.
Wait is still on for Agilite.

Quick update for everyone -

The L210s are on their way to us and should arrive by late next week! We plan to have everyone's order shipped out by 9/25. Tracking will be made available as orders ship.

Thank you for your order, and for your patience during the backorder!

Please reach out with any questions.

Mtn_Guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
So looking at the various plate options, the basic rundown is the following?

Steel AR500/AR550 - cheap, heavy, multi-hit and less compromised, spall risk unless coated, need trauma pads, seem relatively attainable in the market. Most seem top out at Level III+?

Ceramic composite - next price level up, multi-hit depending on make up and brand, will have deformation, less spall risk (no coating but wrapped?), can get level IV, have a shelf life (technically).

Hescos - Seem to be the top of the market. Lightest weight relative to rating, more advanced ceramic, no spall risk, have a shelf life (technically)

Am I missing anything?

Don't want to get into sizing (SAPI, Shooters, Swimmers) that is a seperate conversation.
@boilermaker that seems to be a fairly broad-brush over generalization of the current armor market.

Not sure what you’re looking for here... validation that there are only three options available on the market — (1) budget steel, (2) generic ceramic level IV or (3) Hesco???

yes, all those exist, plus PE plates, new(-er) gen ‘high-speed’ wraparound level IV ‘soft’ armor, etc., etc., etc.

A lot depends on your “Operational” objective, budget and other (user-specific) factors. If you want to bunker in your “ Castle” and lay down suppressive fire as the hoards of BLM-Antifa Zombies storm your fortress, then I’d say get a reputable set of Multi-hit rated Level IV plates and write “Custer” on the front as you plan to make your last stand. If you’ve started to grow out your beard while waiting for your back-ordered new Gucci Crye multicam wardrobe to be Amazon prime drop-shipped to your front door step, than I’d say get yourself some ultra lightweight “special threat” rated plates, so you can conduct your quick-action strike missions as the tip of the local neighborhood watch spear.

seriously though, get the lightest plates you can afford. Happy shopping. Let us know what you find... I like ShotStop plates myself to give you another option.

76Too

NES Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
@boilermaker
A lot depends on your “Operational” objective, budget and other (user-specific) factors. If you want to bunker in your “ Castle” and lay down suppressive fire as the hoards of BLM-Antifa Zombies storm your fortress, then I’d say get a reputable set of Multi-hit rated Level IV plates and write “Custer” on the front as you plan to make your last stand. If you’ve started to grow out your beard while waiting for your back-ordered new Gucci Crye multicam wardrobe to be Amazon prime drop-shipped to your front door step, than I’d say get yourself some ultra lightweight “special threat” rated plates, so you can conduct your quick-action strike missions as the tip of the local neighborhood watch spear.
I’m currently designing ‘one of each’ instead of settling for a happy medium.

My lite setup will stay in my truck and will be easily deployable. I’m leaning toward a slickster to be worn in conjunction with a war belt for all my equipment needs.

My other setup will be based on my ‘battlefield pickup’ USMC flak jacket that will have level IV front/rear/side plates for full coverage. This will stay at home for a situation I have to break out the 1919a4 with the crankfire!

I’m putting together the ‘heavy’ setup first because it will be the most useful to me currently as I’m not really going anywhere and I already have the flak jacket (just narrowing down ceramic plate options to the final selections).

76Too

NES Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
@boilermaker that seems to be a fairly broad-brush over generalization of the current armor market.

Not sure what you’re looking for here... validation that there are only three options available on the market — (1) budget steel, (2) generic ceramic level IV or (3) Hesco

P.S. what makes Hesco worthy of its own category? I’m looking at the L210’s for my lightweight slickster option, but then you went and posted that link to the ‘new to me’ vendor with some very attractive options and ultra light weight but at a hefty price.

I’m trying to approach these purchases with a ‘cost is not a factor’ mindset because it very well could mean the difference between life and death if things actually get ‘that bad’. I’ve personally worn my flak jacket for weeks on end in some of the most extreme climates on the planet (desert, tundra, jungle) and man does that shit get old. A nice, lightweight, comfortable option for my second setup is going to be my middle finger to the Marine Corps for going with the lowest bidder for our esapi’s!

Mtn_Guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
P.S. what makes Hesco worthy of its own category? I’m looking at the L210’s for my lightweight slickster option, but then you went and posted that link to the ‘new to me’ vendor with some very attractive options and ultra light weight but at a hefty price.

I’m trying to approach these purchases with a ‘cost is not a factor’ mindset because it very well could mean the difference between life and death if things actually get ‘that bad’. I’ve personally worn my flak jacket for weeks on end in some of the most extreme climates on the planet (desert, tundra, jungle) and man does that shit get old. A nice, lightweight, comfortable option for my second setup is going to be my middle finger to the Marine Corps for going with the lowest bidder for our esapi’s!
I’m not a fanboy of Hesco, so I can’t swear to why so many people like them... I will speculate that T.rex Arms has done a pretty good job of keeping them in stock or filling back orders quickly from what others have posted, so there is something to be said about availability...

As for the ShotStop ballistic plates, it’s wicked light and has a 15 year shelf-life with proper storage. I don’t work for them or get any commission, but I will say that in just checking out their website, their current sale price is what I previously paid with the discount — plus civilians can get an additional 10% off. I think shipping was~$15, no sales tax charged.

Hesco is supposedly good armor (no first hand knowledge). I’m not the expert, but I question whether it’s the gold standard....

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I’m not a fanboy of Hesco, so I can’t swear to why so many people like them... I will speculate that T.rex Arms has done a pretty good job of keeping them in stock or filling back orders quickly from what others have posted, so there is something to be said about availability...

As for the ShotStop ballistic plates, it’s wicked light and has a 15 year shelf-life with proper storage. I don’t work for them or get any commission, but I will say that in just checking out their website, their current sale price is what I previously paid with the discount — plus civilians can get an additional 10% off. I think shipping was~$15, no sales tax charged.

Hesco is supposedly good armor (no first hand knowledge). I’m not the expert, but I question whether it’s the gold standard....
From what I’ve read most people consider them to be, but I don’t know. I’m just a schmuck looking to not die as quick.
Marine buddy of mine swears by LTC and they make the Level IVs for Hoplite, so I ordered a pair of those. Got them delivered today.

boilermaker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
@Mtn_Guy I wasn't trying to over-generalize at all. I was trying to better understand the options and so had grouped them that way as it is tough for me to understand the differences between all the manufacturers of the plates. With carriers, I can usually see the differences and decide what is right for me. With the plates it is tougher. You can have plates with the same rating, cut, and fairly close in weight but be priced very differently.

I appreciate the response and now understand PE plates are a differnet category (I learned something!). Also I appreciate the recommendation of ShotStop, I hadn't run into them before but really like the weight aspect they have.

Top Bottom