Tactical Comms Gear - Lets see what you're using

HSGI comms TACO with an HT750 (minus the belt clip) in it, awesome. I am probably going to trim the retention loop, but otherwise it works pretty good. I am going to order one for my padded belt at some point.

attachment.php

Thanks Sprocket for putting the radio together for me.

Attachments

• 20160825_141843.jpg
    20160825_141843.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Our favorite Frenchman pointed this out to me, looks like a pretty cool Baofeng pouch solution.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-08-29-19-59-26.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-08-29-19-59-26.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 160
I wandered down this rabbit hole today and I can't say I'm too surprised it's the usual suspects from the other gear thread.
Im really enjoying the progression you've all posted.
So Ed if I've been following, you've gotten your HAM license and then bought the HT750?
And Snacks you're using the Comtac III's for PTT?

I'm seeing prices all over the place for the HT1000, I can't tell if it's because some are missing parts or what. What should just the radio come with for parts, a charging base, battery, and antenna?

HT1000s are old technology and are bricks - Most units are heavily used and probably abused. Replacing cases is not practical either. I would not pay more than $25 for one.

That said and commercial grade radio should come with a few basic things:
radio
battery with clip
antenna
charging cup
programming of your spec.

Bonus items:
spare battery
microphone
holster

Batteries are the consumable item - they don't last forever, even rechargables.

Motorola commercial radios are not "face programmable" meaning you need a program and cable (proprietary) to program the radio. Programming can be done "per point" or at a flat rate per hour.

I do radios on the side and have units for sale but will help anyone here with questions and guidance - if you buy something and want programming I can help too. Feel free to PM me about anything.

I wandered down this rabbit hole today and I can't say I'm too surprised it's the usual suspects from the other gear thread.
Im really enjoying the progression you've all posted.
So Ed if I've been following, you've gotten your HAM license and then bought the HT750?
And Snacks you're using the Comtac III's for PTT?

I got my HAM ticket over the winter because I wanted to get into HAM, this is just an other facet of use in the hobby. I went through the gamut of cheap to moderately priced HAM gear for this use, and while it is great for commo, it always lacked something one way or an other, usually quality PTT for use with comm headsets like Comtacs. So I went for a commercial HT750 rig. Now I have found my new favorite site, srstactical.com, and they have PTT's that appear to work (I say appear to work because I have not verified that they do, and because of their cost I will not advise someone to buy them unless I have seen them work) with HAM radios like the UV5R's and Yaesu's I like so much.

I have not updated this in a while. I am now using a Peltor PTT and Comtac II's. Although I have to dig into my Comtacs because I have a significant voltage drain that is burning batteries up real fast. Pains of buying used on the internet. Something else I have figured out, I don't really love the Comm TACO pouch. This radio and all my others will fit in a double M4 pouch which is WAY cheaper, and if I needed to, I could bump the radio to my belt with the clip and carry 2 more mags. That is what I get for drunken internet shopping.

attachment.php

After I get caught up on some stuff around the house, I am probably going to invest in a set of new in the box dual comm Comtac III's and get a PTT for my Yaesu so I can be a super fag with too much shit in a closet I don't use, but I will be able to run 2 radios like a SEAL? What a queer. [laugh]

I'm seeing prices all over the place for the HT1000, I can't tell if it's because some are missing parts or what. What should just the radio come with for parts, a charging base, battery, and antenna?

If you want to get into a commercial radio, I would contact Sproket. I bought my HT750 from him, and will likely buy a few more. It came with everything needed to use it, programmed. Just remember, one radio with no one to talk to and no way to program it is useless.

Attachments

• carrier.jpg
    carrier.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 85
So for running around in the mud at Monadnock each spring and comms between vehicles on road trips would you go with a 750/1000 or the UV5Rs?
And given how clear you say the comtacs are id probably look for whichever radio is compatible with that.

Last edited:
So for running around in the mud at Monadnock each spring and comms between vehicles on road trips would you go with a 750/1000 or the UV5Rs?
And given how clear you say the comtacs are id probably look for whichever radio is compatible with that.

For larping at Monadnock, UV5R's work fine. I made a post earlier in this thread about that very day last year. If you want to use a hand held in your car, I would suggest you get a mag mount antenna and put it on the roof of your vehicle and tuck the cable into your weather stripping. Car bodies can limit your transmission from inside that cab. Problem there is you need to wire that antenna into your radio somehow. Both Moto and UV5R's can do this, it just requires different items.

UV5R's and commercial radios like the Moto's are kind of apples and oranges and you get what you pay for. If you are interested in HAM radio, and want to get into it on the cheap, get the UV5R. You will be able to do more with it. If you want a rugged radio with excellent battery life that is simple to operate and has strong accessories, go with the Moto. But again, understand that it is useless by itself, so have 2, or establish a channel list with your friends, or at least know (print out) your channel freqs so someone with a UV5R can tune in and you can talk with them.

Sure, you could mount a radio in your dash, I have one. I just thought you were talking about using a handheld from in your car.
I don't think we're on the same page. Why would I need to run the antenna into my car radio?
Maybe my reading comprehension is shit this morning. Could it just be a loose cord hanging near where I place the handheld unit?

I don't think we're on the same page. Why would I need to run the antenna into my car radio?
Maybe my reading comprehension is shit this morning. Could it just be a loose cord hanging near where I place the handheld unit?

Ah, I was a little unclear, sorry.

Your handheld's antenna attachment is rarely the same as a wired antenna for a bigger mobile rig (PL259 vs SMA). So you would either need an adapter to connect the external antenna to your handheld, or have an antenna made with the proper connector on the radio end.

How long did you study for in order to get the material down?

- - - Updated - - -

For the HAM card I mean.

I work with radios and electronics for a living so it's kind of second nature for me, but if you want to get your ticket, here is what I did.

I watched this video at like 8pm the night before, and then took practice tests until bed time. This video gives ALL of the answers. It is long and kind of boring, but if you listen intently and then go straight to the practice tests, you will past the tech exam.

I used this app for the tests. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iversoft.ham.test.prep&hl=en

Last edited by a moderator:
I just took one of them and my BSEE has paid off for an easy answer to 60% of the questions. Got tripped up on the specific answers for frequency channels.

If you’re looking for antennas or adapters for a Baofeng, check out these places. Disco32 has gotten popular and more expensive though.

If you’re looking for antennas or adapters for a Baofeng, check out these places. Disco32 has gotten popular and more expensive though.

I'll probably be in there soon finding right adapter for PTT. Just grabbed a set of Liberator iii's

+1 for Disco32. Forgot about this thread — reposting my comms stuff from the tactical gear thread. Photos on original posts.

Finally getting comms set up on the JPC 2.0. If any are looking for ideas:

View attachment 398371
Had the BFG Ten-Speed Triple M4 Mag Pouch with 90 rounds of love.

View attachment 398380 View attachment 398381
Exchanged for a Double with empty slot on support side. Fished a Nexus PTT altered by Disco32 for Kenwood 2-pin radio connection and U94 headset downlead. Very clicky, great tactile confirmation when activated. Removed the PTT's clamp and held in place with a Ferro PTT retainer. This photo shows one loose and another installed around the PTT.

View attachment 398382 View attachment 398390 View attachment 398391
I'm using Anytone 878s and got the pouch made for them by Specter (currently having a 20% off sale for their 20th anniversary). It has some detachable button-down MOLLE straps that weren't rigid enough for me, so replaced with a couple Blackhawk! Speed Clips. The clips sit perfect parallel to the wires and secure the MOLLE well. A loop of slack at the bottom allows moving parts around while installing but tucks away well in the end.

View attachment 398385 View attachment 398392
I replaced the stock rubber duck antennas with Super-Elastic Signal Sticks from Signal Stuff. They're super-flexible but rigid against an axial load, 19", dual-band, meant for storage in a loop as shown.

View attachment 398393 View attachment 398394 View attachment 398401
Last step of securing the radio with the PTT wire retained under. So the wire is tucked in the radio pouch, tucked under the radio securing strap, behind the other end of the PTT, through the MOLLE twice, and just a small loop of slack remaining at the bottom. Very secure against snagging when slack is distributed behind all these points but still easily adjusted.

View attachment 398410 View attachment 398411 View attachment 398443 View attachment 398447
The antenna slips well through the PTT retainer's loops and then the fabric sleeve of the shoulder pad. Sticks a few inches straight back when worn and can slide bit in and out with movement.

Now just waiting for Ops-Core to send the headset. (Edited to flip the photos taken in a mirror and correct the orientation.)

Finally got my Ops-Core in. Here's a photo dump and details for anyone else in the market.

I heard stories of some bump helmets having a loose shroud or flexing too much and breaking ear pro seal, so I wanted a ballistic setup for the most stable anchor holding NODs and comms. The kevlar armor part is nice too though I wouldn't necessarily have gotten it without a bunch else to mount on it. Gentex (Ops-Core parent company) said helmets are built to order and projected a 16-week wait. This was a Sep 15 order and Dec 9 delivery, so 85 days or 12.5 weeks.

Came with a nice drawstring cover with an accessory pouch on one end.
View attachment 422053 View attachment 422054 View attachment 422055 View attachment 422056

Very clean. This is the "Ops-Core FAST SF Super High Cut Helmet" so it would have max room for ear pro. Also lighter, more comfortable, and more ventilated than lower cut models.
View attachment 422057 View attachment 422058 View attachment 422059 View attachment 422060

This is the worm dial model as opposed to the occ dial. Great cushion, very comfortable. Also came with an accessory cushion pack so you can replace some. You can see the green kevlar fibers and epoxy on the underside.
View attachment 422061 View attachment 422073

Ops-Core AMP ear pro. Cushions don't have gel but are just as comfortable as MSA Sordins with gel cups. In addition to color option you can choose what downlead format fits your radio, whether fixed or sold separate/interchangeable downlead, and whether NFMI-enabled. These are ear plugs that magnetically resonate, so you have double ear pro with noise cancelling and ambient sound reproduction by the buds. Just a thin string connecting the buds. Very high-quality memory foam on them. Reminds me of those orange foam ear plugs but they take much longer to expand again. Came with S/M/L buds. The microphone arm is nice and stiff, holds whatever position you flex it to well. Can switch the mic to the opposite side. A screw holds it in place at the base, as with a plug on the opposite side. Came with an extra plug in case you want to run with no mic. Very comfortable headband with a great seal against ears.
View attachment 422062 View attachment 422063 View attachment 422066 View attachment 422069 View attachment 422070

Removing the electronics from the headband and installing on the helmet took less than five minutes with no tools. Very easy to switch back if you want the headband again. Both the headband and helmet rail mount kit have tabs orienting with the ear cup exteriors, so no way to get them backward. The wire secures without any slack lying around when routed through the mounts' backside channels and then through velcro straps on the helmet rear. Takes two AAs, a little disappointing since everything else I run (and NODs on order) uses CR-123s. First world problems. The mount has a double spring, giving perfect pressure against the ears across a very short range of motion in/out but otherwise swivels and rotates freely. Extremely comfortable initially though we'll see how a longer test goes.
View attachment 422064 View attachment 422065 View attachment 422071 View attachment 422068 View attachment 422067

Altogether 3lbs 6.6oz.
View attachment 422072

Integrates very well with the Disco-32 PTT adapter. I hadn't thought much about the downlead length and got concerned after ordering that an extension might be needed, but it's perfect. Run it under the inside of the PC shoulder strap and out the side for a good balance of retention and flexibility. Didn't realize how creepy the swirling blur would be on my face.
View attachment 422078 View attachment 422076 View attachment 422074

Now time to get it all dirty and test out the electronics. Will report back. NODs will still be another 8+ months.

Side note, I placed this order with a made-to-order item and then realized I had forgotten a spare pair of mic port plugs. Placed that second order the same hour on Sep 15 and received them around Oct 15, so currently even simple orders with all items in-stock will potentially take about a month from Gentex.

I saw on the news yesterday how communications were shut down around the capitol. Would this stuff work if the government tries to jam them?

I would imagine it depends on them jamming signals vs shutting cell towers down. The radios we have for larping are direct.

I can foresee things getting worse do they have the ability to shut down all communications? Is there an alternative to overcome this problem.
They can shut down internet, cell, and copper lines pretty easily. If shit gets real that is the first thing they will do.

Back
Top Bottom