• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

T/C Omega5 B.P. inline muzzle loader

Personally I think the quality of the Thompson Center rifles is quite good. My current rifle is a T/C Bone Collector and I like it better than the CVA Optima V2 it replaced.

Sorry, I did not know it varied.

I was told to use 2 pellets. This seems to be working well for me, so I have no reason to change or vary anything. Maybe I could use some cheaper ammo for practice or sighting in.

Hodgdon "triplese7en" 50/50 (.50 caliber, 50 grain) KTP price $31.99
Thompson/Center "SHOCKWAVE" 250 grain spire point, .50 caliber KTP price $13.99
Winchester "se7en" 209 primers for muzzleloading rifles KTP price $8.99

Sorry, I did not know it varied.

I was told to use 2 pellets. This seems to be working well for me, so I have no reason to change or vary anything. Maybe I could use some cheaper ammo for practice or sighting in.

Hodgdon "triplese7en" 50/50 (.50 caliber, 50 grain) KTP price $31.99
Thompson/Center "SHOCKWAVE" 250 grain spire point, .50 caliber KTP price $13.99
Winchester "se7en" 209 primers for muzzleloading rifles KTP price $8.99
there are several variables
pellets or loose powder substitutes or Black Powder- bullet type and weight---

There are pellets that range in size also- 2 50 grain pellets are a standard load. With 2 pellets and a 250 grain shock wave your getting 1850ish to 1900 fps

If you are hitting 15" high at 50 yards your rifle is zeroed for about 400-450 yards. It will hit even higher at 100 yards close to 30" high of point of aim.

If your looking to hit deer with a full view of the side vital zone a 100 yard zero with your impacts about 2" High at 100 yards gives you a center hold on vital hit 25-150 yards and at 150+ you hold high on the back and your still in the zone.

Last edited:
Front sight on my TC Omega is too low. Known issue on earlier models, I've read. Contacted S&W. They expected me to purchase a replacement sight. I put a scope on it.

So, if the front sight is low, that will make it shoot high? I need to dig out that sight, and get it installed, and sight it in again.

Yes front sight is opposite

rear is the same

Im not sure what the sight radius is on your rifle but heres how you figure out how much you need to move the sight
Impact correction needed in inches X sight radius divided by distance in inches

say its shooting 5” high and your sight radius ( from rear of rear sight rear of front sight) is 20”
5” X 20” your shooting 50 yards or 1800”
5X20=100 divided by 1800” (50 y) = .055”
Roughly it gets you real close then you fine tune from there

so to bring your impacts down to point of aim at 50 yards you need to RAISE your FRONT sight or LOWER the REAR sight .055”

Last edited:
T/C Omega is a very accurate ML. I would highly recommend a scope on it to see its real potential. Harvesting a deer @ 250 yds with that smoke pole is realistic.

On a side note: Can anyone who owns a Prohunter or Endeavor with the Speedbreech XT breech plug please PM me...I have a question TIA.

Last edited:
T/C Omega is a very accurate ML. I would highly recommend a scope on it to see its real potential. Harvesting a deer @ 250 yds with that smoke pole is realistic.

On a side note: Can anyone who owns a Prohunter or Endeavor with the Speedbreeck XT breech plug please PM me...I have a question TIA.
I would never see a deer at 250 yards. I'd say 100 yards is my limit, and that is a big stretch. Pretty thick woods around here. Yes, it seems pretty accurate, once I get the height adjusted.

The day may come when you would like to take that shot. ;)
Also remember... a scope helps with (buck or doe) recognition at dusk and dawn (when they move the most).
Nikon makes a ML scope called the Omega with a BDC reticle that's specifically set up for the TC Omega...check it out, its a pretty nice scope for the dollar... Under $100 on the used market.
Unless you are a die-hard traditionalist...I think you're handcuffing yourself (without a scope).
When that buck of a liftime walks out and you have to pass it up because your Iron sights aren't good enough (scopes gather light)...you'll know what I mean...LOL

Last edited:
I looked for that Nikon scope.
Regular Retail Price: $399.99
Camofire Price: $209.50 – 48% OFF Retail

I still see no real chances of taking a shot much over 50 yards.

I looked for that Nikon scope.
Regular Retail Price: $399.99
Camofire Price: $209.50 – 48% OFF Retail

I still see no real chances of taking a shot much over 50 yards.
I have seen some good deals on muzzleloader scopes , often several pages deep into searches.

although as expensive as most average scopes a good rear peep and front globe can do wonders
Leeshaver inserts- several front sight styles to choose.

something like th is or the basic williams rear peep

then a lyman front globe and a base if needed.
bases and globes can be had in different hieghts to help with adjustments.
I only know one guy who hunts with nothing but muzzle loaders and he has a basic rear peep with a .075" aperture.

The fiber sights seem to work quite well for me. Thanks.
you could just use a rear peep, it makes for zome quick alignment , that front fiber sight will darn near center it self up automatically.
if your local to plymouth and need help let me know, im about to dig out my Omega and remount the red dot and then decide if I want to sell the rifle or not.

Back
Top Bottom