• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

t/c contender

I have a couple barrels a buddy gave to me. I tried to sell a .220 Swift rifle barrel a few times but I can't confirm that it's for the Contender vs the Encore so no takers. I haven't bought a frame for the same reason. I also have a .357 Mag barrel that I'd love to put into service. Maybe I should lean on my friend again to part with his frame.

Your .220 Swift barrel is for an Encore. The Contender would not stand the pressure of a .220.

Jack

I believe I first tried to sell it to someone looking for Contender barrels who said it was for an Encore. So then I tried to sell it to someone looking for Encore barrels who said it was for Contenders. This info gives me something to go on now.

So you got me going on the contender again. Just posted a WTB in the classified ads for a contender barrel in .222 or .223

Also went looking and found my old hunting chest rig for carrying it.. All leather, holds a 14" scoped contender, with snap on cover to protect the scope from rain and snow. Shoulder strap also held 10 rounds in it. Handy rig for sitting in tree stand or going hands free when dragging out a deer

I used to watch an old timer on a hunting show take deer every week with his contender rested on a stick of some sort. Not sure I would try it on a brown bear though.

Anyone remember bob milek? Gun writer and avid handgun hunter...he was the champion of the contender in the 70's, took all kinds of animals with his. I believe be took it to Africa also and was very successful with it. Don't remember the calibers he used though.

He was one of the greats, indeed!
Him and Steve Herrett were instrumental in much of the development of contender wildcat cartridges.
Bob Milek.jpg
Here's a 30 Herrett that I use.
Herrett with figured wood.jpg
Lee Jurras was also one of the unsung heroes of super contender development

Last edited:
That brings back a memory of taking my contender to the range with 2 barrels ( both with muzzle tamers ), one in .30-30 and the other in .375 Winchester.
A gentleman was 2 benches over and firing a semi auto 30-06, and every so often an empty brass case would bounce off my table. I started using the 30-30 barrel and after being hit with a couple of casings, I changed to the .375 Winchester barrel and after dropping the hammer on the first round, I see him looking at me like what the f*ck was that.

Back
Top Bottom