Synthetic Motor Oil to Lube/Protect, What to use as a Cleaner

Artie

NES Member
Another cleaning thread, IBTL[popcorn]

I have always used Hoppe's No. 9 as my bore cleaner (Shooters Choice for rimfire) and aerosol RemOil w/ Teflon as my CLP. At $10-15 /10oz can, I need to find something else because I go through quite a bit of the RemOil. Although I like aerosol as the delivery method, I tried the non-aerosol Breakfree CLP and didn't like how it worked.

I have settled on trying synthetic motor oil after reading a bunch of the old threads at NES and elsewhere regarding synthetic motor oil vs anything else but am I wrong to think that the motor oil will only Lube and Protect? What can I use as a cheap, but effective, cleaner? Can motor oil clean, doesn't it have detergents? Carb/choke cleaner, non chlorinated brake cleaner, etc? Do these harm certain finishes, wood furniture and plastics.

Opinions advice. Thanks

I am not looking for a lube or a bore cleaner, this has been covered in all those threads that Coyote33 kindly listed and I read. I am looking for a cleaner.
Cleaner - ?
Lube - Mobile1 Synthetic Motor Oil
Protectant - Mobile1

Thanks

I am not looking for a lube or a bore cleaner, this has been covered in all those threads that Coyote33 kindly listed and I read. I am looking for a cleaner.
Cleaner - ?
Lube - Mobile1 Synthetic Motor Oil
Protectant - Mobile1

Thanks

Why wouldn't Eds Red (or similar) work as a cleaner for the exterior as well as the bore? Usually gun cleaners are just some mix of solvent and lubricant, which is exactly what Eds Red is.

I have had good luck with LACUS gun oil which is synthetic google it I think you may have good luck with it as I have.

Why wouldn't Eds Red (or similar) work as a cleaner for the exterior as well as the bore? Usually gun cleaners are just some mix of solvent and lubricant, which is exactly what Eds Red is.
I agree and considered this because it could be a bore cleaner and a CLP but would the acetone and/or mineral spirits harm plastics and wood?

I would like to hear from those that uses Ed's Red for everything. For all the guys that use M1 synthetic oil to lube, what do they use to clean their exterior, actions, etc? Thanks

Last edited:
I like Hoppe's, no issues at all. Have the same bottle since 2010. Should/could I use it as my cleaner, not just for bores?
Didnt think of that. It is cheaper than RemOil and seems to last
The thing I'm wondering is why the exteriors of your guns get so dirty? Are you ending up with crud that motor oil won't wipe off?

I use ballistol to clean. Works awesome and non toxic. Can use indoors no problem (not the aerosol can). I cant say enoigh good stuff about ballistol. If youve never used it, give it a tey. I like hoppes 9 too, but nasty shit and i cant use it unless ventilation is adequate. Plus it penetrates most gloves and i dont feel like getting liver cancer quite yet.

then i use slp2000 to lube points of contact like rails. Slip 2000 is basically synthetic motor oil, once i run out of it i will switch to syn motor oil too.

I like Hoppe's, no issues at all. Have the same bottle since 2010. Should/could I use it as my cleaner, not just for bores?

EDIT: I think I misunderstood the question. I use Hoppe's as a generic universal cleaner, bores, trigger groups, bolts, whatever.

Last edited:
I clean my bores with Hoppe's all the time.
I do too.
As i posted in the OP, i use Hoppes for my bores and RemOil as my CLP. RemOil is getting expensive as I use a lot of it. I am moving to motor oil in place of RemOil. What should I use for cleaning?. I am looking for something to clean the action, the internals, the exterior (if need be). Squib308 mentioned Ballistol as a cleaner. I might try that. Will Hoppes bore cleaner work as an 'everything' cleaner?

I do too.
As i posted in the OP, i use Hoppes for my bores and RemOil as my CLP. RemOil is getting expensive as I use a lot of it. I am moving to motor oil in place of RemOil. What should I use for cleaning?. I am looking for something to clean the action, the internals, the exterior (if need be). Squib308 mentioned Ballistol as a cleaner. I might try that. Will Hoppes bore cleaner work as an 'everything' cleaner?

Sorry, I misunderstood the question. I use Hoppe's as a generic universal cleaner, bores, trigger groups, bolts, whatever.

I use it to clean everything and have had no issues.

Friday I tried that on my AR's BCG and it worked well. I am leery though because it is water based.

For AR BCG's I just douche with brake cleaner. [thumbsup]

If you're worried about water based SG(I've never had issues) hit the parts wit an air compressor.

Actually, I use Hoppe's and RemOil, or Hoppe's oil. I've had the same can of RemOil and 2 cans of Hoppe's oil for years now. Go through the Hoppes #9 a little more, but that also lasts. Got some "silver" Hoppe's (for semi-automatics) one year for Christmas, and use that also. Some day, if I ever use these up, I'll try the homemade solutions. The wood and plastics are just fine.

I use Simple Green for the vast majority of my cleaning needs, in all aspects of my life.

ETA: If you're worried about the water base, a post-wash with 70% Isopropanol should dry things out pretty well.

Last edited:
Don't use motor oil. For the love of god. You sprang for an ar15

You do realize that "gun oils" are the same thing right? The major difference is that CLP types just have more cleaner additives. Why would you pay for a tiny bottle what you could buy a quart with? Just remember, what goes on inside an internal combustion engine is way more severe than anything a typical range gun will ever be subjected to, unless you happen to own a "mini-gun" or something, and even then I'm sure it still uses regular oil or grease.

I use Hoppes on the entire gun........even the wood gets wiped down with it and it has never hurt it at all.

You do realize that "gun oils" are the same thing right? The major difference is that CLP types just have more cleaner additives. Why would you pay for a tiny bottle what you could buy a quart with? Just remember, what goes on inside an internal combustion engine is way more severe than anything a typical range gun will ever be subjected to, unless you happen to own a "mini-gun" or something, and even then I'm sure it still uses regular oil or grease.

This^

we used to use engine oil to lube the ma duece, mark 19s, 240b, and 249s over there. Why do people think using motor oil is mistreating a fire arm I have no idea. That said I use hoppes #9 for cleaning and breakfree clp to lube after.....mainly because CLP comes in a handy aerosol can with the little straw spout to make it easier to apply.......I would have no problem using engine oil to lube a fire arm though.

- - - Updated - - -
From a study conducted regarding desert operations and the M16 - M4:

Today a wide variety of lubricants is available
commercially and fine cleaners (i.e. Carbon Removing Compound, CRC) and modern
lubricants are available in the unit Motor Pool and at auto supply stores. If there is a
shortfall in the recent dust tests it is that these materials weren’t evaluated during the
tests. If CLP isn’t available, CRC, automatic transmission fluid (ATF), and many other
petroleum, oil, and lubricant (POL) products will suffice for cleaning and lubrication.

The military still states milspec CLP is the only authorized lube but tiy can use other lubes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom