Switzerland

colt_fan

NES Member
http://worldradio.ch/wrs/news/video/staring-down-the-barrel-of-switzerlands-gun-tradit.shtml?14430

Staring down the barrel of Swiss gun traditions
Switzerland is grappling with a question and it’s a loaded one: should its citizens be allowed to keep military rifles at home? The shooting traditions are deep-rooted in this country where basic military training is mandatory and so is storing weapons at home. It’s estimated that over 500,000 military rifles are kept in Swiss cellars and cupboards. WRS video journalist Amy Wong went to the Tiro Federale in Campagna (also called the Feldschiessen in German or Tir fédéral en campagne in French) the largest shooting festival in the world, to witness this 83-year-old tradition.

Switzerland, my second home. Check out the sound baffles they use to reduce muzzle noise!

Do the members on NES that know switzerland allows its soldiers to store assault rifles in their homes know that you actualy have to be in the military to do this?

So no big boy guns for you mall ninjas! [rofl]

Do the members on NES that know switzerland allows its soldiers to store assault rifles in their homes know that you actualy have to be in the military to do this?

You could always become a Swiss citizen, it is every Swiss man's duty in Switzerland to do military service.

You could always become a Swiss citizen, it is every Swiss man's duty in Switzerland to do military service.

you can do other duties instead of being in the military if you dont want to, like civic service and gay stuff like that.

you can do other duties instead of being in the military if you dont want to, like civic service and gay stuff like that.

yeah, there is that. but there will always be a need for someone to clean bed pans.

Sooo, this group wants to take a practice that has been working for generations, and make it illegal?

Ok, who sent the shipping container full of liberals to Switzerland??? You guys KNOW that doing that is prohibited by the Geneva Convention.

Sooo, this group wants to take a practice that has been working for generations, and make it illegal?

Ok, who sent the shipping container full of liberals to Switzerland??? You guys KNOW that doing that is prohibited by the Geneva Convention.

Europe is getting a little to comfortable these days. They are so convinced they will never have a war on their soil or be invaded they are making their armies small (although well trained) and in the Swiss's case, getting rid of every SOB on the block armed with a rifle policy.

it's a lot deeper than this, bud. keeping the rifles at home is still legal, but keeping more than one magazine of ammunition for those rifles has been illegal for the last 18 months. current Swiss "militia" tactics incorporate rally points, etc., in their cute little towns.

the Evil rifles will be out of swiss citizens hands before year end. hunting / sporting rifles are next.

times have changed.

What's amazing is there is very little reason for the change outside of fear. No slaughters in the country with said rifles, etc. This is just politics and they didn't need a pretext to pull off the change.

That video just made me sad. There was the traditionalist Swiss who understands that firearms preserve freedom and prevent tyranny. And there was the neutered "man" who wants to destroy what's left of Switzerland's greatness because he's scared of guns.

I guess cowards and half-men live in every country. This video strengthens my resolve never to let them win here.

That video just made me sad. There was the traditionalist Swiss who understands that firearms preserve freedom and prevent tyranny. And there was the neutered "man" who wants to destroy what's left of Switzerland's greatness because he's scared of guns.

I guess cowards and half-men live in every country. This video strengthens my resolve never to let them win here.

The vast majority of the deaths are suicides too. WTF?

I like the pro-gun stickers in Heim's safe as he shows off his guns. He makes a lot of great points.

I don't understand why the reporter equates suicides with gun crime though. [thinking] If someone wants to off him/herself, unfortunately, they will find a way.

I like the pro-gun stickers in Heim's safe as he shows off his guns. He makes a lot of great points.

I don't understand why the reporter equates suicides with gun crime though. [thinking] If someone wants to off him/herself, unfortunately, they will find a way.
They latch on to anything if it supports their case to disarm people so that they go into the ovens without protest...

The Pro-Tell guy in the video (who is not currently serving military) - still has his service weapon from when he served, has his fathers' service rifle (looked like a K31 to me) - and has his grandfather's service rifle mounted on his office wall.

I believe you can buy your ex-service rifle once you finally "retire" from reserve military service. The thing you cannot have (except for a sealed battle pack) at home is ammo. You get the ammo at the range when you get there and you have to hand in unfired ammo before you leave the range.

Contrary to belief, Switzerland has pretty strict gun control laws. Back in 2000 when I lived there, for non-citizens to own a firearm you needed to apply for a permit from the Cantonal Police. You are limited to a certain number of firearms that you can purchase in a given time period though. To purchase a hand gun, an additional permit was required as well. CCW needs a permit too.

Disclaimer: I worked for the Swiss government at EMPA as a praktikant (intern) in St. Gallen. So my co-workers that were not Swiss citizens may have had different rules applied to them. Most likely they knew someone higher up though.

All Swiss men between the ages of 18 and 60 (I think) are required to be members of the millitia, and are required to keep a small basic load of ammo in their homes along with their military issued rifles. They are also required to qualify with said rifle annually.

I was in Switzerland in the early 80s and it's a wonderful place. While in Zurich one Sunday, I saw an older gentleman riding his bicycle through the center of town with an assault rifle slung over his shoulder.

I spent almost a year in Switzerland in the late '80s. Except for the issue of guns, they're pretty moonbat about everything else. Now the pacifists movement seems to be gaining steam over there. Luckily, they're not the majority, but I don't see them going away either. Switzerland has, to me anyway, always been the prime example where legal gun ownership has worked and has never been detrimental to society. Hate to see that example go away.

My wife has worked in Zurich. Not only is serving required by some, it's darn good for your career in Switzerland. The leaders in business are all in the militia, and people make connections while serving.

youtube has the video posted on what seems an abridged version, with a title about the low Swiss crime rate.

While they can keep their military rifles at home, they're given a sealed box of ammo that they're not allowed to open, and they can't just go to the store and pick up some ammo for those rifles. The government organizes shooting events for them sometimes, but the rifle at home is only for military purposes.

You get the ammo at the range when you get there and you have to hand in unfired ammo before you leave the range.

Foo. [frown]

Where's the fun in that ?

The Euro-weenies have been attempting to pussify the Swiss for a couple years now at least.

France wants Switzerland safe for their invasion. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom