Swiss Luger's ...

K98

Saw some Swiss Luger's coming up for sale. $2000 each [sad2]. Can't justify that price, maybe I'm wrong.

The question is are they import stamped with the newer regulations stamping? Can you find a Swiss luger with out import stamps ?

And yet at that price, they sold out quickly. For $2K I think you could get something pretty nice, and German. Go figure...

Reminds me of the offline conversation about Garand parts. People paying 3X, 4X, or even more than what can be paid with a little searching. +10% or even +50% would be tolerable for small ticket items but 4X for the same late SA xyz part?. Insanity. I think the definition of 'gun nut' is someone paying these prices that are multiples of actual value. Might be a fun rainy day project to price out a Luger, Garand, or whatever, if it was built from the most expensive parts one could find. $3K mixmaster M1, LOL. If I spend stupid money (and I have), it better come with an SRS letter and interesting provenance.

The place I saw had them all sold out by the time I got their email.

And yet at that price, they sold out quickly. For $2K I think you could get something pretty nice, and German. Go figure...

Reminds me of the offline conversation about Garand parts. People paying 3X, 4X, or even more than what can be paid with a little searching. +10% or even +50% would be tolerable for small ticket items but 4X for the same late SA xyz part?. Insanity. I think the definition of 'gun nut' is someone paying these prices that are multiples of actual value. Might be a fun rainy day project to price out a Luger, Garand, or whatever, if it was built from the most expensive parts one could find. $3K mixmaster M1, LOL. If I spend stupid money (and I have), it better come with an SRS letter and interesting provenance.

this applies to many things..... for many years there where a group of older guys who would buy thier 12 garands a year collectively getting 60 M1s a year between them. They then would swap and trade rifles and parts to fill thier voids make rifles correct and then unload what they didnt want. At one point one of them bought out 2 other guys and had aprox 500 rifles in his collection and many many parts.
Now the rumor goes he retired and moved to FL. Before he went he sold all but his top 25 most valuable M1s to a "distributor" in NY in his words he made out like a bandit. Now consider they where buying from the CMP from day one not to mention what ever they got from the DCM... I think a service grade was 295$ back when cmp took over ? plus they got in on all the nice guns offered through CMP and the early lotteries for the M1d and C rifle all packed in SA wrap.

this applies to many things..... for many years there where a group of older guys who would buy thier 12 garands a year collectively getting 60 M1s a year between them. They then would swap and trade rifles and parts to fill thier voids make rifles correct and then unload what they didnt want. At one point one of them bought out 2 other guys and had aprox 500 rifles in his collection and many many parts.
Now the rumor goes he retired and moved to FL. Before he went he sold all but his top 25 most valuable M1s to a "distributor" in NY in his words he made out like a bandit. Now consider they where buying from the CMP from day one not to mention what ever they got from the DCM... I think a service grade was 295$ back when cmp took over ? plus they got in on all the nice guns offered through CMP and the early lotteries for the M1d and C rifle all packed in SA wrap.

I realize it applies to many things, but it seems that vintage milsurp guns and parts are worse than most things. Just one small example: I remember when a full size, authentic bear trap could be had for pretty cheap. Always wanted one for the man cave and can remember seeing them in rural N. CA when I was a kid. I could have bought an EXC Newhouse from a well known NPR reporter for $300 before she went overseas but had diapers and shoes to buy. The price shot up to ~$1200 or more for originals, leveled out, and now is maybe a little better. The $300 was about 20 years ago, prices shot up to $1200 maybe 5 years after that, held for many years, and has retracted a little.

Milsurps are getting stupid expensive because of speculators like that Garand cartel you mention. Yes, Garands would get more expensive because of supply and demand anyway, but the inflation goes nuclear because of the speculators. I've seen this in business, and it can really create havoc for important raw materials. Did CMP lower the annual limit for M1's? They should.

Just finding late SA small parts for my CMP Unlimited build has been a PITA, at least for finding something at a decent price that a) is in stock and b) the vendor returns emails / phone calls. A follower and slide assembly can be found for $17, if it's in stock. For the ones that might be 'collectible', I see prices of $60. CMP is good for many parts, but high on others. I've resorted to fleabay for a few things.

I've mentioned this before- I think the highly collectible M1's have or will soon plateau. The shooter grades will keep climbing in price and will likely plateau later. If the Korean Garands and Carbines ever come back, those could certainly affect the market as well. Eventually there will be fewer of us fools who like these rifles.

Back
Top Bottom