Swiss K31 Craze

Ok i held off getting one because of the ammo but i finally gave in and got my first one. I ordered an Excellent condition Swiss K31 from Samco Global arms. I received an excellent swiss with a beech stock. They sent me a really purdy one. All i'm going to say if you don't have one you should take a look at these awesome rifles while they are still affordable. These have never been used in a war and have never been shot with corrosive ammo so the bores are in excellent condition. They do come with walnut stocks too its an option.

BTW; I haven't shot it yet but i have heard the accuracy is similair to the swede mauser and finnish mosin M39.

Aim Surplus very good condition $99

Samco Excellent condition $139
Samco Very Good condition $109

Century Arms Good condition $89 (more like fair+ condition) walnut stk
Century Arms Fair condition $69

SOG Good Condition $89

I did pick up some swiss 7,5mm fmj ammo in the 60rd package they say its match quality ammo. I'm going to order reloading dies soon for it too.

Prvi-Partizan makes it and i heard the new wolf gold (brass case) is made by Prvi-Partizan too. They also manufacture ammo for FNM and Igman too. The yugo boxer primed brass is the best brass i have ever reloaded. I have heard that some with the 6,5mm yugo brass its lasting over 15 times being reloaded.

Nickle do you hunt moose? Any word on the moose season lottery yet?

The Swiss surplus ammo is everywhere and some companies will ship to Mass. as long as they have your C&R plus LTC and Driver's license copies on file. I'm not naming them here because bad people may be reading. [lol] Its even at gun shows for affordable prices.
Now that you have a K31, you need a K11, then a 96/11, then you need tiger striped stock models, etc. the Swiss bug bites hard. :D
Two great places for Swiss rifles. http://www.simpsonltd.com/
http://allans-armory.com/aa.asp
Avoid buying from anywhere else unless you want a huge Century stamp and usually chewed stock. You'll pay more from the above companies, but they'l treat you right with a nice rifle.

Swiss K-31Craze

Well Big Bill your right about the CRAZE, Wherewolf beat me to it about
the Swiss Rifle Forum i have been visiting that sight for a couple of years
thay will tell you when your rifle was made and if you are lucky take off the
buttplate and you will find the guy,s name,rank,and outfit and home
address!! i own two of these great rifles one beech and one walnut stocked
i live in Bradford Ma but i am spending a while here in Daytona and of all
the mil-surps i could have brought i have the beech stocked one with me!
the first time i saw these guns in action was 2001 at Camp Perry on the
line at the first Springfield Match, thay stoped the firing after the prone
slow fire and pulled and checked every K-31 on the line!! the reason?
the lowest score turned in was a 91!! as soon as i got home i orderd one
and as soon as i got that and fired it i bought anouther,and i think you might do the same!! i bet you cant believe that trigger pull! unfortunatly
i have to have my brass shipped to my Daytona address or if you have a friend that wants to get you a birthday gift and thay live in NH have them order it through Graf&Sons!! you think its a CRAZE but its the SWISS FLU

I got the swiss flu really bad. I'm up to 3 already and thinking about another one already. So far my best ones are from samco($139) excellent condition and aim surplus($99) very good condition. I received a $89 k31 good condition from Century that was well ridden but the walnut stock cleaned up very well. I think that aim surplus has the best ones for the price. It doesn't take much to refinish them into a purdy rifle again its just mainly the finish thats bad. The beech stocks look great after they are cleaned and restained with the solar lux stain. Out of the 3 different condition guns i purchased all the bores look the same "Great". These won't last too much longer so my gut feeling is to buy them now because when they run out they will be priced much higher. There for sale on the guns for sale sites(gunsamerica/gun broker/auction arms) already at increased prices to. These will go the way the swede's and finnish rifles did too they will become rare and expensive.

What you need is to see one of those rare tiger striped Walnut stocked models with perfect bluing, then find a decently priced K11 or 96/11 at a shop or show. Then you're really in for it, the quest for the holy grail never stops. [lol]

Okay, you've got me convinced. I sent my C&R license to Samco last week, so they should have it in a few days. If the ones they have are as nice as the pictures on the web site, I'm in.

Big Bill, are the Samco guns that good?

Gary

YES the samco excellent k31 $139 is the best one i have received so far very close to the pics but the had the little blackish butts which seems to be the norm. AIM surplus $99 is next. These two had the beech stocks. The one from Century was a walnut tiger striped stock $89 but it was in borderline good/fair+ condition and called good condition. It makes me wonder how bad the $69 fair condition ones are at century arms? I'm tempted to try one.
The bluing seems top be really close on all of them. The bores all look the same condition wise too. So no matter which one you get you'll get a good bore. If your going to refinish it anyway go with the AIM Surplus Swiss K31.

BTW;

Samco $139 excellent Beech Stock "1948"
Aim surplus $99 Beech Stock "1952"
Century arms $89 walnut stock "1937"

I probably would try the AIM one, but alas they don't sell to MA residents. I will get one of the SAMCO ones, I'll probably splurge for the excellent condition one.

Gary

I just took the plunge again and ordered a Fair condition swiss k31 from Century since my last one from them was a 1937 they may send me an older one. As long as it has a great bore like the rest of mine do the outside condition what ever it is will be ok with me for $69? [?]

They're a really nice gun. I've liked them since I saw a friend's K31 about 20 years ago. I just never had the time or money to pursue collecting. Of course I also didn't know about the '03 C&R license until last year.

So, here's another quesiton. Since I'll probably want to shoot this and any other MilSurps at least once in a while, does anyone know of a good gun smith that I can have check these out?

Gary

I just got off the phone with Samco. I ordered and excellent Grade K31. I'm sure once I get it I'll have a million more questions.

You've been warned! <G>

Gary

My bad, I never received the century $69 swiss k31 in fair condition because i didn't spend the minimum of $75. But i just received the one from AIM Surplus it was pretty beat up on the stock but it did refinish ok. If you want one now is the time before they become history and fade off into the sun set like the swede mausers did and the price goes up.

Garys said:
Speaking of questions, I have one about Bore Snakes. Would a 7.62 mm Bore Snake be okay to use on a K31?

Gary

Yes thats what I use. A 30 cal will fit most of your milsurp needs unless you get into 8mm rifles, then you need one the next size up. You can wash them in a bucket with some soapy water too and just hang them up to dry, especially if you're using one on a gun you've shot corosive ammo through.

Thanks. I've read a number of different articles regarding shooting corrosive ammo. All of the formulas seem to involve ammonia in some form. The simplest recommendation is just to spray some Windex or other Ammonia based cleaner down the barrel, follow it with a swab or mop and then do a normal cleaning.

I printed out the K31 manual and have some other stuff from Surplusrifle.com regarding disassembly. I'll study that and see how much I can pick up.

The rifle should arrive this week and I'll get some ammo next weekend at the Wilmington show. At least I hope someone will have it.

Gary

As a matter of fact, I pretty sure they do when they can get it. I remember seeing that they have the ammo and sell the rifles when they can get them.

Gary

It's almost here. UPS tried to deliver today but no one was home. The Mrs. will be here tomorrow. I'll take some digital pictures and post them when I get it upwrapped.

Once I actually have the rifle, I'm sure I'll have even more questions.

Gary

If theres a tag under the butt plate are you gonna try contacting the original owner? I have a link to a thread on the Parallax forums about how to do so and how to decipher the info.
On a side note: I lose sleep when I know a gun of mine is out there in UPS-ville. Thats why these days I always get a tracking number and make sure I know what day its coming. My UPS driver knows me by name and knows what they are, and that they require adult signature. he usually delivers when i'm home at lunch break for that reason alone. :D You can also call the UPS depot and have it stay there until you pick it up if no one will be home.

Milsurps 4 Me said:
If theres a tag under the butt plate are you gonna try contacting the original owner? I have a link to a thread on the Parallax forums about how to do so and how to decipher the info.

I'll look for a tag, but I don't think I'll try to contact the owner.

Milsurps 4 Me said:
On a side note: I lose sleep when I know a gun of mine is out there in UPS-ville.

I have the tracking number, but I know where it is at the moment. UPS was nice enough to give a three hour window of when they are going to deliver tomorrow. My wife will be home and will sign for the package. If she misses the UPS guy for some reason, I'll call and ask them to hold it for me.

Gary

It came today. Here are three pictures. Not very good ones, but I'll take better ones later.
K31-3.jpg

K31-2.jpg

K31-1.jpg

It's very clean, the stock has some nicks and dents, but isn't beat. Bore is nice and bright with well defined rifling. Numbers match on bolt and receiver. No tag under the butt plate. I'd say 95%+ blueing.

Clean and well oiled, and as others have mentioned no Cosmoline.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom