• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Swiss gun referendum rejected by voters!

Near-complete results show at least 14 out of 26 Swiss cantons rejected the proposal in Sunday's vote.

For the proposal to succeed, it required the support of the majority of Swiss citizens and the cantons.

Overall, about 57% of the Swiss voters rejected the plan, while 43% backed it.

Note that 14 of 26 is 53%. The people rejected this proposal at a non trivial higher rate than the government.

From reading the articles at the link, I see that they anti firearms forces there are using similar sets of lies as the ones here do.

The interesting thing is one of their biggest lies they use here (firearms deaths include suicides) they can't use there. They had to differentiate the suicides from the murders unlike the game they play here.

Before the vote, I sent an email to ProTell wishing them luck.

I recieved a reply, including :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nf1OgV449g

My correspondant was the featured gentleman.

I invited him to check out the Forum (I pointed out that it's free to register), so perhaps we can build some cross-the-seas amity...

Gov't supplied rifles and ammo....mmmmmmm.......[laugh]

I invited him to check out the Forum (I pointed out that it's free to register), so perhaps we can build some cross-the-seas amity...

What an awesome video!

Thats an awesome video. everyone serves and then you keep your rifle.

I like the shooting competition too. I never heard of that when I lived in Belgium.

The final vote is in. 56.3% of the population and 20 of the 26 cantons rejected the referendum. In Switzerland, a referendum has to get a majority vote and more than half of the cantons have to accept it in order for it to pass. So even if the Swiss had voted for this, it still would've failed because the cantons didn't approve it.

Actually I wouldn't argue against suicide rates being affected by a total ban on personally owned weapons. I'm sure there are a non-trivial number of suicides that occur because of easy access to a sure-fire way to do it that doesn't require you to leave your home, plan in advance etc. You can certainly make the same argument about barbiturates, which were massively restricted and generally eliminated from all but rare prescriptions due to suicides.

Obviously removing all guns form the equation wouldn't eliminate suicide. People bound and determined to kill themselves will find an alternative means. But I think trying to argue that immediate access to firearms and suicide rates are totally unrelated is as specious an argument as claiming "blood will run in the streets" if Shall Issue CCWs become the law.

The point I would make in riposte to the suicide whiners is asking them why, to prevent a free human being from making a decision to end their own lives, they think it's worthwhile to trample the rights on the other 98% of us. Or, perhaps more fundamentally, if I choose to end my life, how is that anyone's business but mine and my family's?

All rights have a cost. This is the fundamental fact that the banners never seem to grasp. They want all the benefits of freedom without any of the costs.

The point I would make in riposte to the suicide whiners is asking them why, to prevent a free human being from making a decision to end their own lives, they think it's worthwhile to trample the rights on the other 98% of us. Or, perhaps more fundamentally, if I choose to end my life, how is that anyone's business but mine and my family's?

They want to control everything, even life and death. Anything they can stick their noses into.

They want to control everything, even life and death. Anything they can stick their noses into.

That's an ad hom and nothing else. You can easily say the same thing about conservatives. After all, it wasn't Liberals who banned dildos, oppose sex ed of any serious kind in schools or would like to make women slaves to their wombs. Nor is it Liberals who are out to get Kevorkian and are up in arms over assisted suicide. Control freaking is found on both sides.

That's an ad hom and nothing else. You can easily say the same thing about conservatives. After all, it wasn't Liberals who banned dildos, oppose sex ed of any serious kind in schools or would like to make women slaves to their wombs. Nor is it Liberals who are out to get Kevorkian and are up in arms over assisted suicide. Control freaking is found on both sides.

I don't know about you Bill, but I'd rather have a gun than a dildo. Then again, I'm not sure which amendment it is that guarantees the Right to Bear Sex Toys, but I am sure which one guarantees the Right To Bear Arms. FWIW, sex education in school was instituted under the guise of reducing teen age pregnancies. Care to guess what the rate of teen age pregnancies has done since sex education was instituted in public schools? And some people have moral objections to suicide, assisted or unassisted. In fact, the people on the side of gun control in Switzerland seem to have a problem with suicide, so it must be the conservatives that are out to ban guns in Switzerland.

The French speaking cantons in Western Switzerland, Zurich and Basel city are the leftist/green strongholds for years.
Take a walk through Geneva or Lausanne and you'll see a LOT of people who don't appear to be Swiss natives.
See a correlation here ?

The French speaking cantons in Western Switzerland, Zurich and Basel city are the leftist/green strongholds for years.
Take a walk through Geneva or Lausanne and you'll see a LOT of people who don't appear to be Swiss natives.
See a correlation here ?

This.
Just goes to show, can't trust liberals or the French on matters of freedom and state. They can't resist pissing it away the first chance they get.

Back
Top Bottom