• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SWIM is stashing firearms..

I think the idea of burying them isn't the end game. It's just a stall.

If the UN led peacekeepers of North Korea sweep through town and seize firearms , those who buried their guns will avoid the blaze of glory - one guy versus a SWAT team , that he won't win.

Then later he digs them up and selectively chooses his battles to inflict the highest cost on the invading forces.

But , it's just a guess.

All of the above. Burying them defeats the true purpose of owning them as well as the second amendment.

It doesn't sound like the OP is talking about burying ALL his guns. He asked if having a backup shotty in the ground just in case would be a good idea. Everyone like to think they will have even a chance to resist having their guns taken. Ask yourself this. What are you going to do if the cops go through your house with a no knock warrant while you are at work? How much resistance are you going to offer then?

While I fully support the sentiment you guys are expressing, I would submit that. You never know when or how they are going to come if they ever come. It wouldn't be un-coplike to deliberately show up when they know the house is empty so they can secure the location. Even if the owner has to be notified and be allowed to be present during the search. Your guns won't do you much good if they are there first and all you have is your carry piece if even that.

I don't think there is anything wrong with having a small cash of a shotty, a few mil surps., and some ammo in the ground as backup. Just in case.

WARNING It only takes ONE full breath of pure CO2 to KILL you!!

This isn't true. I use CO2 canons as a prop in the night club world all the time. Regularly blasting it into the faces of us on stage, and the people in the front rows. I'm sure I (Or someone I work with, or someone else in America) would have killed someone by now. CO2 is carried in your blood stream to your lungs every time you exhale... Your body can handle a breath of it.

So much fail in this it's hard to know where to start, but I'll try. A) Nobody is taking my legally acquired property without due process, and because ex post facto law is NO LAW, everything I have will ALWAYS be my legally acquired property. B) When the dance starts , I don't give a good goddamn what anybody not in the fight thinks of me, or whether I'm a "gun Nut". C) As a believer in the efficacy of leaderless fourth-generation warfare, one does not need people to go to war with, and in many cases the individual may enjoy more success on his own.

Well good for you. I'm not so selfish. If/When the cops start no knocking in the middle of the night and confiscating weapons.... I'd rather go down making a stand that is going open someones eyes, than go down silently as a terrorist.

When you go down in the publics eye as a "Criminal" You're just FURTHER damning the rest of us. Push/be part of a decent uprising, and you could actually change the fight for EVERYONE.

Not to mention if you're out and someone tosses your house, confiscates everything, burns it to the ground, ect ect. Having all of your eggs in one basket makes you pretty damn useless. When you have a decent collection, what harm is it hiding away a small cache just in case?

If it's time to bury them, it's time to dig them up.

I saw the quote below on another site about the same topic (and the same sentiment quoted above), here it is:

I also agree with the above sentiment, but have always considered underground storage as a viable option for supply caches. I see no shame in it, and no real reason to suggest that the person who buries an item is not prepared to use it. On the contrary, he may be the first man willing, and last man able. This notion is not the mark of cowardice or submission.

While I may not agree with burying them, I don't see it as a horrible idea. The logic of having everything in one place to make a stand is crazy. If you have a big enough collecton how many guns do you need for that stand? Having 10-20-30 in one place is the illogical move. 5-10-15k rounds of ammo in one place and being your only supply is just as bad. What kind of supply line are you providing for yourself? Splitting it up is smart. If one so chooses to bury them so be it. They bought them and they own it when the time comes I highly doubt a little dirt/dust is going to matter. Diversification and being unconventional is key.

Well good for you. I'm not so selfish. If/When the cops start no knocking in the middle of the night and confiscating weapons.... I'd rather go down making a stand that is going open someones eyes, than go down silently as a terrorist.

When you go down in the publics eye as a "Criminal" You're just FURTHER damning the rest of us. Push/be part of a decent uprising, and you could actually change the fight for EVERYONE.

Not to mention if you're out and someone tosses your house, confiscates everything, burns it to the ground, ect ect. Having all of your eggs in one basket makes you pretty damn useless. When you have a decent collection, what harm is it hiding away a small cache just in case?

You want to bury your guns, have at it and good luck. But consider, if the time comes where warrants are a thing of the past and doors are being kicked in, if you still possess firearms at that point you WILL be killed immediately in your home. I will add that if these things come to pass and you aren't IN THE FIELD with those firearms, you are demonstrably useless to the cause of freedom. Those junkers you buried in the yard will rot there or be quickly discovered by the professionals sent to recover them. Let us examine this scenario you have envisioned: Firearms possession is outlawed completely and raids have begun to deal with non-compliance. If you are on the receiving end of a raid at this point it is because you have declared yourself a criminal by continuing to own weapons. You surely will not be the first of these raids, yet these guns remain buried until they come to raid YOU (selfish?) You have two clunkers buried in the yard, or wherever. The agents have, as you postulate, "kicked in your door in the middle of the night in a no-knock to confiscate weapons".....your weapons. The ones you failed to turn in which earned you the midnight visit. Then what? You give up all the guns but the ones you have buried? Then what? The agents take the guns, thank you for your compliance and leave? Do you arise the next morning and start your war with your friends or do you wait for things to get REALLY bad? If warrantless raids and doors being kicked in by jackbooted agents in service of a government who labels resistors to all of this as terrorists isn't the time to act, when is? When do you dig up those guns? Of course whenever you do you're viewed by society as a hero at this point, you've worked that all out. It's important when liberty is being strangled to death to know what the neighbors think of you...You're not a "selfish" "criminal" or "terrorist" like me, who would never let things get that out of hand in the first place.

Last edited:
SWIM does not think they will be coming for anybody's firearms in his life time. How are you going to find anyone willing to undertake the job of knocking on the doors of gun owners and requesting they turn over their firearms. It sure better pay more than minimum wage that's for sure.
SWIM also thinks that he has more than enough guns that putting an old Mossberg 500 and a 30 yo mini 14 out of the reach of the authorities Isn't a bad idea. What if you don't happen to be home when your door gets kicked in and the authorities walk off with everything. A back up plan might not be a bad idea. SWIM thinks that if he happens to need more than a few 30 round mags it's all over anyway. Just making small talk without substance and I know it but WTH..

What do you do when the zombies invade and you go to get your shoutgun out of the ground but your shovel is broken because you smashed a zombies face in with it. You're screwed.

an old Mossberg 500 and a 30 yo mini 14 out of the reach of the authorities Isn't a bad idea..

One more time, with feeling. A gun in the hands of a Constitutionally-minded citizen IS out of the reach of any "authority" that would seek to seize it. Burying guns is like saying "Before I act, I am going to sit on my ass and let things get to the point where I need to dig up a gun and shoot somebody" It is, to me, defeatism masquerading as Plan B.

Last edited:
Or you can purge the air with carbon dioxide. You can do this cheaply with dry ice. When you put a piece of dry ice in water pure CO2 will pour over the side of the container. Just have the container high enough to put the tube your equipment is in under it and once it fills to overflowing with CO2 cap it. Obviously have everything in the container ahead of time.

WARNING
It only takes ONE full breath of pure CO2 to KILL you!! Do not do it in your house! Do it in a garage with the door open or outside. Make sure you hold your breath any time you have to get close to it like when you cap the tube. Don't say I didn't warn you. I'm not gonna raise your kids if you kill yourself.[grin] Oh and leave all your guns to me just in case. [smile]
Have you done the CO2 procedure yourself? CO2 is acidic. I wouldn't mix it with guns. But people might have used it for preservation of various items.

CO2 is the SAFEST inert gas to play around with; you panic long before you pass out!

I agree with Livefreeormass, purging with CO2 for storage of any steel/iron item is still a bad idea. Once the canister does start to take on water, the high CO2 atmosphere in the container will promote corrosion. Save the CO2 for the legumes.

WARNING It only takes ONE full breath of pure CO2 to KILL you!! Do not do it in your house! Do it in a garage with the door open or outside. Make sure you hold your breath any time you have to get close to it like when you cap the tube.
All wrong.[angry]

For starters, it takes 3 deep breaths of a deoxygenated gas to start to deplete oxygen in your body, and a full minute to pass out. As pointed out by John Haxx, it's tough to accidentally cause death with carbon dioxide; nitrogen is more risky in this regard. Of all the "inert" gases to experiment with, carbon dioxide is the least likely to kill a healthy adult.

Last edited:
One more time, with feeling. A gun in the hands of a Constitutionally-minded citizen IS out of the reach of any "authority" that would seek to seize it. Burying guns is like saying "Before I act, I am going to sit on my ass and let things get to the point where I need to dig up a gun and shoot somebody" It is, to me, defeatism masquerading as Plan B.

Yea because they never ever ever do anything that they aren't supposed too. They've already done it. Are you saying they won't do it again? Whatever helps you sleep at night.

You want to bury your guns, have at it and good luck. But consider, if the time comes where warrants are a thing of the past and doors are being kicked in, if you still possess firearms at that point you WILL be killed immediately in your home. I will add that if these things come to pass and you aren't IN THE FIELD with those firearms, you are demonstrably useless to the cause of freedom. Those junkers you buried in the yard will rot there or be quickly discovered by the professionals sent to recover them. Let us examine this scenario you have envisioned: Firearms possession is outlawed completely and raids have begun to deal with non-compliance. If you are on the receiving end of a raid at this point it is because you have declared yourself a criminal by continuing to own weapons. You surely will not be the first of these raids, yet these guns remain buried until they come to raid YOU (selfish?) You have two clunkers buried in the yard, or wherever. The agents have, as you postulate, "kicked in your door in the middle of the night in a no-knock to confiscate weapons".....your weapons. The ones you failed to turn in which earned you the midnight visit. Then what? You give up all the guns but the ones you have buried? Then what? The agents take the guns, thank you for your compliance and leave? Do you arise the next morning and start your war with your friends or do you wait for things to get REALLY bad? If warrantless raids and doors being kicked in by jackbooted agents in service of a government who labels resistors to all of this as terrorists isn't the time to act, when is? When do you dig up those guns? Of course whenever you do you're viewed by society as a hero at this point, you've worked that all out. It's important when liberty is being strangled to death to know what the neighbors think of you...You're not a "selfish" "criminal" or "terrorist" like me, who would never let things get that out of hand in the first place.

You assume that

1) said weapons are registered
2) said weapons are buried on SWIM's property

Yea because they never ever ever do anything that they aren't supposed too. They've already done it. Are you saying they won't do it again? Whatever helps you sleep at night.
My post went right over your head. Again, A gun in the hands of a Constitutionally-minded citizen IS out of the reach of any "authority" that would seek to seize it.

Last edited:
You assume that

1) said weapons are registered
2) said weapons are buried on SWIM's property

I assume nothing, because I didn't dream up SWIM's scenario....he did, with doors being kicked and warrantless raids. And it doesn't matter where they're buried because if SWIM's future comes to pass, it won't be the guns they come for, it will be the gun owners. Most don't understand that. In SWIM's world, the guns are not what stand in the way of the antagonist, it is the man or woman who wields the gun. Put another way, if Obama or another tyrant were to come for the guns and got them without a fight, do you think they would stop there and leave the previous owners unharmed? Doubtful. The gun owners must be disarmed not to rid the world of guns, but to rid the world of the types of people that seek to own them privately, outside of service to the collective.

Last edited:
I assume nothing, because I didn't dream up SWIM's scenario....he did. He had doors being kicked and warrantless raids. And it doesn't matter where they're buried because if SWIM's future comes to pass, it won't be the guns they come for, it will be the gun owners. Most don't understand that. In SWIM's world, the guns are not what stand in the way of the antagonist, it is the man or woman who wields the gun. Put another way, if Obama or another tyrant were to come for the guns, do you think they would stop there and leave the owners unharmed? Doubtful. The gun owners must be disarmed not to rid the world of guns, but to rid the world of the types of people that seek to own them privately, outside of service to the collective.

shazaamm there it is folks

I always thought SWIM was "someone I met". Feels like an out take from a Leslie Neilsen flick.
"He went M I A in N A M and the C I A asked the F B I to put out an A P B".
"O I C"

the OP is indeed talking about a piece or two stashed not an arsenal. A failure to plan is a plan for failure. Having one piece stashed seems like a pretty good idea. Unless of course you know exactly how it's going to go down, if of course it ever even does "go down".

That being said it seems like a lot of the responders appear to have it all mapped out if it does. It is rather mind numbing trying to play out all the possible scenarios. One could argue that owning a firearm for defensive purposes is merely the same type of thought process as the gun stasher. A just in case scenario has presented itself. You pray everyday you holster your side arm that you won't have to use it. Just as the stasher would pray he wouldn't have to break out the shovel. Playing devils advocate of course. It just seems people are so quick to jump on others for thinking outside the box.

I might have to start looking into a tube and some dry ice the more I think of it.

Have you done the CO2 procedure yourself? CO2 is acidic. I wouldn't mix it with guns. But people might have used it for preservation of various items.

CO2 is referenced here as an alternative to nitrogen for preserving ammo specifically. Just search the text for carbon dioxide it will save some time. Ammunition preservation packaging and storage system - Ready Reserve Ammo, Inc. From the research I have done CO2 is acidic when it mixes with water and creates carbonic acid. As long as you have some moisture absorbers in the container to dry out any remaining moisture then corrosion won't be a problem. Or so I have read on several occasions.

As for the One breath can kill you thing... When filling a container this way, depending on the size of the piece of dry ice you use, you will be dealing with a very dense flow of CO2 over the edge of the container. Bear in mind that I'm not talking about putting a tiny bit in a small container. I'm talking about a 1/4 lb or so in a 5 gal. bucket. Which will produce a significant amount of CO2.

I overstressed the danger because if someone not thinking about it were to crouch down by the container watching it fill, with their head essentially in the flow of CO2, it would be very easy for them to loose consciousness. If you are by yourself and pass out on the floor in this circumstance you are probably dead since CO2 is heavier than air and will be all over the floor around the container.

It is always better to be over cautious rather than under cautious. Hence the first two rules of gun safety. It may take 2 or 3 breaths to knock you out. But you never know when the person reading this is the type to think, "Well if everyone else can handle 3 breaths then I can handle 4 or 5..." The last thing I want it someone accidentally killing them self before "go time"

I'll bury it, right up someones ass who try's to take it. Besides if a total Gun grab is the order of the day there will be so much carnage do you really wanna be the only one left? at that stage you will not need a fire arm.

Back
Top Bottom