SWFA SS 10X any good for R700?

Hello!, i plan to do some medium range shooting, mostly 300 yard shooting, but occasional 500-600 yard shooting, and was wondering if the swfa ss is any good for that sort of shooting. I figured a fixed power would be good, so i dont have to worry about the FFP/SFP crap, and ive heard decent reviews about it. I goes for about 300 dollars, with no additons like diffusers, and BCC`s, it is 1/4 moa adjuments, mil dot, 4 inch eye relief, and i believe paralax adjustment.
Would you guys reccomend this scope? Seems like a decent one, but im new to long range shooting. My price range is no more than about the rifle itself, which is 700 dollars.

I know a few guys with that scope and really like it. I am sure it will do what you are asking but I can't comment as to if it would be the best choice.

SWFA makes a fine scope for the money. If that's what you want and like, go for it.

OP I have two of them, as was stated before a good scope for the money. clear and bright glass. I find the turret clicks to be a little on the mushy side but it really doesn't bother me. Both of mine are fixed 10X but my range is only 300yds and if your actually going to use the mil-dot reticle I believe it's designed to be used at 10X magnification. I hate shopping for scopes....way too many choices! Good luck

Just be careful of the "mildot" style scopes. I have a mildot scope no where does it mention at what magX it set to be a "mil " on 10x @100 yards the dot ce fer to center will fit a 8" dia target.... suposex to be more like 3.6" or so.
On my hawke optic with map6 reticle I can use the software to create cheat shears for the holds on each dot and for each magx setting. The soft ware is neat. It will also print out varmint views with the "dots " at certain yardages so you get a idea of what the target will look like @ X yardage. It will even provide the proper hold point to hit the kill zone.

I have the 3-15x42mm, and it's awesome, so while I can't speak specifically to the 10x fixed, I can vouch for the workmanship and quality of the SWFA SS line. If you're willing to spend a little extra, I'd suggest the one I have; at $700 it's definitely a good bit more than the fixed power, but will give you more varied uses than a 10x fixed optic will

FYI

"Front Focal Plane Reticles – Many tactical groups prefer front focal plane designs because common tactical reticles serve a dual purpose: a point of aim and a means of measurement. Reticles such as a mil dot are based on a specific subtension and require exact feature spacing to be accurate; if this type of reticle is used in a rear focal plane design, the scope must be used on a single, specific magnification (typically high power). Placing this type of reticle in a front focal plane design allows the operator to use the scope on any magnification while retaining the exact spacing of the reticle features."

http://www.leupold.com/resources/faqs/#WhatIsTheDifferenceBetweenAFrontFocal

I have a few SWFA scopes they are the 20X power ones, I have one on that 338 EDGE I posted a pic of it on post #41, "in the wildcat" post I use it from 100 feet to over 1000 yards, it tracks good meaning no matter how much I screw with the adjustments it always goes back to zero, and speaking of zero it can be in the safe for 6 months over the long winter season, and when I finally take it out it is still spot on, I have never seen a scope "hold zero" which is the term used, like that one, I wish they made some with more magnification, you see I don't only want to see the squirrel, I want to see up the squirrels ass.LOL

Dean

Last edited:
I had a 12x SWFA SS and I thought it was a solid value for low pieced glass. Wouldn't hold a candle to a nightforce. The fixed power is a good way to go if your on a budget. I purchased the 12x and I wish I had ordered the 10x

Back
Top Bottom