• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sweet spot for 10/22 triggers

milktree

NES Member
Which aftermarket 10/22 trigger is the highest performing for its price?

I don’t mean, “what’s the bestest trigger”, but what’s the peak of the price : performance curve?

Is that curve linear, or are there diminishing returns at higher prices?

I installed the Ruger BX trigger. It was $60 compared to the other options that were all pretty much $200. The BX is much better than the stock trigger but I'm not sure how it compares to the higher end units. A heavy barrel with an improved trigger turns the 10/22 into a real tack driver.

I've got the single stage KIDD trigger group in mine and holy crap is that nice. Granted I bought it almost 10 years ago when it was $200 shipped. Prices have crept up a little bit since then.
Haven't tried any other aftermarket triggers.

My buddies are buying Clarks,.. I like the tier 2 from Brimstone,.. other options from the big names are great also. BX's are for plinking pop cans.

One word... Tandemkross

I bought the internal parts, as well as their Victory trigger for my 10/22 Takedown. Also bought parts for my 22-45. Going with their trigger setup turned the unpleasant factory trigger setup into a sweet trigger. Pretty sure I went with their "ultimate" trigger kit for my 10/22. Their Guardian bolt release is also a good item to have on a 10/22. IMO, it's in the "must have" list.

IMO, the parts from Tandemkross are well worth the money. Add to that they're in NH (Weare, NH) and it's even better. Just too bad you can't go to their location to make purchases.

If you are adding up comments +1 for single stage KIDD. May not be the cheapest option but it is an amazing trigger. Like andrew1220, I did mine years and years ago. I would compare this trigger to the best triggers I've tried across different platforms.

i did some other changes, but for trigger pull, I went with the Volq target hammer. This was a few years ago, but on sale it was under $40.

This was before the BX came out. Now I would probably just go with the BX.

I have tried several different aftermarket triggers as well as modifying my own. There are two aspects of trigger performance: pull weight and feel. I'll address these for each trigger I know. Note that if you plan to use the rifle in CMP Rimfire Sporter competition the pull weight must be at least 3 lbs.

Ruger BX: weight around 3lbs, feel is often described as creepy and soft but it's actually more like the European-style "rolling break" in which you press through the break which feels very smooth.

Ruger BX with Brimstone work: Pull weight under 2 lbs, so smooth you can hardly feel the break. I like the rolling break as it contributes to smooth trigger press.

Volquartsen: weight around 2lbs, also quite creepy and soft.

Brimstone Tier 3 (basic): weight as low as 2lbs. Excellent, crisp feel with reduced slack in the take-up.

Brimstone Tier 2 (intermediate): weight as low as 2 lbs. Even smoother and crisper, with reduced overtravel. Includes an aluminum, flat-face trigger which dramatically improves feel and control, reduces overtravel, and has a great reset using a modified trigger return system. This is my favorite modified trigger and if you have a base OEM trigger to supply for the work, is the most cost effective.

Tandemkross: Almost identical to Brimstone Tier 2, but more expensive since you're buying parts instead of just service.

Kidd Trigger Job Kit: There is no better 10/22 trigger than Kidd. Their proprietary design of the hammer/sear interface is far better than any of their competitors. You will feel almost no motion in the trigger press and reset is so short and positive it will make you laugh. This hammer/sear kit does not modify the overtravel/return system.

Kidd Single-Stage Trigger: Yes, this is expensive but totally worth it. If I were budget-constrained I'd get the Brimstone Tier 2. If cost doesn't matter, there is no trigger as good as the Kidd. No perceptible take-up, just increase the pressure of your finger and it goes bang. Overtravel is negligible and reset smooth and positive with their proprietary return plunger system. Pull weight is adjustable and I have seen some owners get it to nearly 1lb.

Kidd Two-Stage Trigger: Only relevant for bench-rest shooting. Pull weight can be under 1 lb.

Last edited:
I did a volquartsen kit, I had to leave one stock spring because the trigger wouldn’t reset. Much better than factory. No idea what it cost 7-8 years?? ago but it costs more now!

I upgraded to BX trigger ( bought from guy on eBay who tests pull weight. Then sells by that weight. Paid a little more for lighter weight.)
Shot 240 at Appleseed with it with otherwise stock rifle. But an Appleseed is about a good shot quickly not a perfect shot. At 25M from bench A five shot group mostly has all shots touching with CCI sv. Perfect for my purpose

I don’t mean, “what’s the bestest trigger”, but what’s the peak of the price : performance curve?

This is very hard to say.
I have a early production kidd trigger and love it. Just right for my needs.
Buddy has the 2 stage Kidd, love that also as im used to 2 stage triggers
Both Brimestone and Tandermous sp I have shot in other guns
I have liked everyone, enough to change what I have? No
The BX trigger is a POS omho , f its better than stock its because stock triggers really suck.

I haven't tried all the different 10/22 trigger varieties but I've got 2 Brimstone level 2 triggers and am very pleased with them. Had a Volquartsen hammer in a stock trigger that was an improvement over stock but nowhere near as good as the Brimstone trigger. The polymer bolt buffers are a great bang-for-buck improvement.

KIDD.

I have one set to 3oz pull. Amazing and dangerous with gloves. I dont recommend going that light unless it is a competition gun.

I bought their drop in kit a few years ago.

I installed the Ruger BX trigger. It was $60 compared to the other options that were all pretty much $200. The BX is much better than the stock trigger but I'm not sure how it compares to the higher end units. A heavy barrel with an improved trigger turns the 10/22 into a real tack driver.
yeah, me also. about 3 years ago midway had them on sale for short money...real short, under 35 dollars. i picked up 2 for the usual price of one. like night and day for a glorified stock trigger and they worked out well for my use. glad i got them cause i was a little hesitant at the time, i had no info on them.

Back
Top Bottom