• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sweeping gun control passed in Maryland.

By Erin Cox, The Baltimore Sun
Updated April 3, 2013
The House of Delegates voted Wednesday to give Maryland one of the toughest gun laws in the nation, passing a bill that would ban the sale of assault-type weapons, set a 10-bullet limit on magazines and require fingerprints and a license to buy a handgun.

Delegates altered the Senate's bill during more than 10 hours of emotional floor debate that lasted over two days. Key lawmakers said they expect the differences to be resolved quickly and the legislation sent to Gov. Martin O'Malley for his promised signature.

After the 78-61 vote, O'Malley said the House strengthened his proposal, which he has called his top legislative priority of the session.

"Maryland has stood up as a state to say that this is not acceptable and that military assault weapons have no place in a civil society," O'Malley said.

The bill would be among the most restrictive gun measures passed by a state legislature since lawmakers across the country began considering new laws in the wake of the December shooting that killed 27 at a Connecticut elementary school. Maryland's move to stricter gun laws comes as federal efforts have stalled.

Once the measure is signed into law, Maryland would become one of five states to require a license and training to buy a handgun. It would be one of a handful of states that ban the sale of military-style assault rifles. Gun owners would be required to report lost weapons to police.

State police would be empowered to audit gun dealers. More information about the mentally ill would be sent to a national database for background checks, and the state would disqualify more people from gun ownership based on mental illness or the commission of a violent crime.

The legislation represents the first significant change to Maryland's gun laws in nearly two decades.

"It was a very emotional issue — it polarized a lot of people," House Speaker Michael E. Busch said after the debate, noting that support came from urban areas. "Licensure and fingerprinting stop straw purchases and keep handguns off the street."

Busch and Sen. Brian E. Frosh, a Montgomery County Democrat who shepherded the proposal through his chamber in February, said the Senate probably would adopt the House changes.

"It's a bill that will save lives," Frosh said. "It will prevent gun violence, and it'll keep guns out of the hands of people who are dangerous, either by virtue of their criminality or because of their disturbed state of mind."

Republicans and conservative Democrats in rural areas mounted the most opposition to the Maryland measure, calling it an infringement on Second Amendment rights and a punishment of law-abiding citizens. House Minority Leader Anthony J. O'Donnell criticized the bill as hastily crafted and pushed through the General Assembly to advance O'Malley's potential presidential bid.

"This is a sham job on the citizens of Maryland so that the governor can punch his national ticket," the Republican from Southern Maryland said.

The National Rifle Association's chief lobbyist in Annapolis predicted political backlash at the ballot box for lawmakers who supported the bill, pointing to the thousands of gun-rights supporters who several times came to Annapolis to voice their outrage.

"They've awoken a sleeping giant," said NRA lobbyist Shannon Alford.

From the floor, Del. Talmadge Branch, a Baltimore Democrat, lamented that he and his city colleagues have to put funerals on their calendars as he argued that the bill would limit gun violence.

"We don't have the need for an assault rifle in the city of Baltimore," Branch said. "I want decent people, real people and honest people to operate and have a handgun. ... I don't want drug dealers or individuals who want to do this tomfoolery, who go out there and do things with guns, killing people."

A key provision in both bills would require handgun purchasers to undergo training, submit fingerprints and get a state license. Supporters say that would significantly reduce straw purchases, in which someone buys a gun on behalf of another with a criminal record. Opponents say citizens should not be required to get a license to exercise a constitutionally protected right.

The House adopted a narrower definition of an assault weapon than did the Senate, a change that some gun-control supporters fear could allow some future models to escape the ban. The House also would ban "cop-killing" bullets.

The two chambers take a different approach about when to bar gun ownership for mental health patients who voluntarily seek care.

The Senate would prohibit gun ownership for patients voluntarily admitted to psychiatric care as the result of an emergency petition — which lawmakers said suggests that the patients are a danger to themselves or others. The House endorsed the state's current standard, which bars people who have been admitted voluntarily for 30 days or more.

Article is on the Baltimore sun. Couldn't copy the link.

On a positive note, I can't think of one reason anyone would ever need to live in Maryland. It is even more dreadful than CT or RI. Yes, even RI.

On a positive note, I can't think of one reason anyone would ever need to live in Maryland. It is even more dreadful than CT or RI. Yes, even RI.

Out where Beretta is in Maryland (near the Chesapeake Bay) is pretty nice. Everywhere else kinda stinks.

Oh me hopes Beretta does move across the Potomac to VA. I will help them move if they let me keep 1 out of every 50 guns I move.

"It's a bill that will save lives," Frosh said. "It will prevent gun violence, and it'll keep guns out of the hands of people who are dangerous, either by virtue of their criminality or because of their disturbed state of mind."

utter fallacy and horse s**t right there

Out where Beretta is in Maryland (near the Chesapeake Bay) is pretty nice. Everywhere else kinda stinks.

Oh me hopes Beretta does move across the Potomac to VA. I will help them move if they let me keep 1 out of every 50 guns I move.

Ah yes, that. I only went to Baltimore... I couldnt believe people live there. Its one selling point was that it wasn't Newark.

Ahh yes, the old "there is no need for xxx weapons in a civilized society". I counter with this: if we are in fact a civilized society then every member of the society should be trusted to have whatever weapons they want. After all a civilized individual wouldn't use a weapon to harm someone. The fact that these laws are being passed by default is an admission that we are NOT the civilized society that these people like to think we are

There is almost nothing civil left in our society.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ah yes, that. I only went to Baltimore... I couldnt believe people live there. Its one selling point was that it wasn't Newark.

There are about six square blocks of nice area in Baltimore, all of it around the Inner Harbor. Other than that, it's pure ghetto. OTOH, get out of the urban areas and it's very pretty. Sadly, like IL, it's the urban legislators that are driving this. It's far easier to claim that you are doing something when you pass a law that will only affect people who are inclined to obey it. So, people who are unlikely to commit crimes will be harmed, but the criminals will continue on with business as usual. And the urban legislators will demand more useless legislation.

The House of Delegates voted Wednesday to give Maryland one of the toughest gun laws in the nation, passing a bill that would ban the sale of assault-type weapons, set a 10-bullet limit on magazines and require fingerprints and a license to buy a handgun.

That sounds familiar...

I can rest easy now. There will not be any "drug dealers or individuals who want to do this tomfoolery", killing people any more. Everyone knows that drug dealers and tomfoolerer only use legal weapons.

If we had any intelligent politicians on " our side" - they could easily kill efforts at further gun control by putting "prove it" provisions into the laws.

The liberals who put in gun control CONSTANTLY say things like " this bill will save lives". So there should be a "prove it" clause - where, if after say five years - the murder rate has not gone down appreciably - the law is automatically revoked.

This would force the pro-ban legislators to put their money where their mouths are.

That sounds familiar...

I just shake my head when I see these "one of the toughest blah blah" comments and it turns out most of what they did is already in place in my state.

MA is going to have to step up their game to differentiate themselves.

Haha I didn't know that there were bullets engineered to specifically kill cops. Might be good to have some of those on hand. Unfortunately they provided no insight on what they actually are. FMJ? HP? AP? Tracer? .45cal or above? Kryptonite?

"Maryland has stood up as a state to say that this is not acceptable and that military assault weapons have no place in a civil society," O'Malley said.

Ok, so the police (and RETIRED LE) are included in these restrictions then, correct?

Back
Top Bottom