• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SW1911 Problems

About a month ago, while at the range, the plunger tube snapped off of my SW1911 (Gunsite edition). I sent the pistol back to S&W for repair. S&W returned the pistol to me in a couple of weeks and everything looked good. Since it was returned to me, I used it in an IPSC match (fired about 200 rounds). During the match, I had one failure to feed (using one of the original S&W 8-round magazines). I decided this was a magazine issue, since I had not had any problems while using my CMC 8-rounders.

Today was the first time that I fired it since the IPSC match. Since the match, I picked up a pair of CMC 8-round Powermags (based on reviews that I read, saying how great the Powermags were). Well, out of 100 rounds first, I had one failure to feed the last round; one failure to lock the slide back after the last round, and; on one occasion, the pistol fired the 7th round and then ejected the 8th unfired round straight backwards into my face! [angry]

I have never had this many intermittent problems with a pistol before. Is this a pistol problem or a magazine problem? Has anyone else that owns an SW1911 experienced these kinds of problems?

This is where the Scriv usually steps in to remind eveyone about a certain 1911 with a plunger tube that is integral with the frame :)

i bought a 1911 DK several months ago, i had some similar problems
but i shoot reloads. I bought a wilson combat mag and it never fails,
but since i got past 600 rounds the S&W mags seem to be working as
well.

I have been told 1911's need some break in time, generally 3-500 rounds.

BTW what is a plunger????? I havn't experienced this one yet.

I would also suggest you get or borrow a varialbe speed dremel tool
and polish the feed ramp on the barrel and on the frame this seems
to have greatly improved my feed problems.

In any event if it ain't working send it back.

JimB

I would also suggest you get or borrow a varialbe speed dremel tool
and polish the feed ramp on the barrel and on the frame this seems
to have greatly improved my feed problems.

In any event if it ain't working send it back.

JimB

I would not dremel anything until you know what is causing the probelm, what added to possible issues

I bought a used stainless SW1911, and it had trouble with failures to feed, the bullet got caught on the ramp, and pushed into the case, or else the slide wouldn't fully close.

I sent it to S&W for service, and they did some stuff, and it has not had a failure since then, although it seems like sometimes there is a little hesitation when the slide closes the last little bit.

I'm hoping this is a magazine-related issue. Though that makes me pretty disappointed in these brand new CMC Powermags...

Take one mag apart. Take the follower out and bend the top coil of the spring upward. Now take a good car wax and wax the follower (stop laughing). Assemble everything and see if the problem still exists.

Round Gun,

What is that little dissection and lubrication supposed to do exactly? Is your advice from experience with CMC Powermags? Or just 1911 mags in general?

Bending the spring up adds lift to the nose of the follower, reducing the possibility of a cartridge "nose diving" when the slide starts moving it forward.

I wax the entire inside of the mag tubes.

1911DK

As i mentioned in a previous reply in this thread i've been having some
problems with this gun.

It did not like LSWC's contrary to what S&W told me, it would shoot
ball, but one out of each mag would fail to chanber.

I am a reloader, so i decided this was the first place to look.

I took a vernier and micrometer to at least 50 rounds at random.

I called Dillon and reviewed these measurements, in their opinion
they were right on.

I called Wilosn Combat they agreed with Dillon and in their opinion
the gun was never tuned properly.

I called S&W, they sent me a UPS call tag, i packed it up
and included a very detailed letter with my problems
and who i had spoken with regarding my problem.

About 10 days later i recieved it back. They had remachined the
barrel feed ramp and the feed ramp on the frame.

I took it to the range to punish it, no problems at all with 24 rounds
in three mags. 24 rounds is not a match, but it makes one feel
a little more optimistic.

Don't give up on your new purchase, do some research first and then
call the manufacturer.

Many thanks to S&W for getting it right.

JimB

IMHO- I think 1911s should only get jacketed ball ammo for the utmost reliability in feeding. Anytime you run into feed/ejection issues... first go to factory ammo to see what it does. When reloading all bets are off unless your loads are good AND you chamber check/gauge check all rounds. If your loads are not factory power... don't expect everything to work fine without tuning the gun to the reloads (recoil spring, etc).

I too have problems with the plunger tube on my S&W. It is slowly falling off, starting from the thumb safety side. I'm going to order a staking tool from Midway probably next week so that I can just fix it myself when it happens again. Going to get an Ed Brown tube with extended lugs for staking to an alloy frame just to be on the safe side.

I was pretty angry about that little surprise after hearing from pretty much everyone about how great smith 1911's are.

Back
Top Bottom