• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SW1911 E Series

These things look unbelievable...I am just trying to determine which one to get. Anyone have one and can help me out? I'm looking at either one of the full size w/ the rail or the two-tone with the commander barrel. Is there really a difference in recoil or accuracy? Any info would be appreciated.

e series is beautiful. there was a stainless with wood grips at NET and it went fast, which stinks because I spend a lot of quality time licking the glass there and that gun got a lot of my attention... some day

e series is beautiful. there was a stainless with wood grips at NET and it went fast, which stinks because I spend a lot of quality time licking the glass there and that gun got a lot of my attention... some day

You might want to research Ted's business practices. In my personal opinion, there are a lot of folks who consider him an enemy of freedom.

The E series I saw at State Line Gun Shop were about $800. One was the Black Tactical with ambi safty. The other was stainless. My son and I agreed we need to buy both, then swap the slides. Those would look sick that way!

I appreciate the info thus far but anyone have any info on the original question? My question is basically what performance differences can I expect between the full size 1911 and the commander size?

The commander sized 1911s tend to offer a bit more muzzle flip than the full sized ones. Not a whole heck of a lot more, but some. At least, that's my experience. I find that the full size is easier to shoot accurately due to the longer sight radius, but I have spent more time shooting a full size 1911, so that may be part of it. In terms of performance, they should be pretty close to each other, although you don't see a lot of short models being used as match guns.

Thanks Emoto, think I'm leaning towards the full size, that commander interest is purely aesthetics. Looks like a perfect carry piece but I live in Boston and that's not really an option. That still may be something to pick up in the future...

Thanks Emoto, think I'm leaning towards the full size, that commander interest is purely aesthetics. Looks like a perfect carry piece but I live in Boston and that's not really an option. That still may be something to pick up in the future...

They're both cool. I would sooner carry my commander than my full sized, but I tend to carry physically smaller guns than either of those because I am paranoid about printing and so forth. Perhaps without justification, but that's just me.

The full size will have a slightly longer sight radius and recoil should feel a little less. The 5 inch should be more reliable as its most similiar to the original design of the 1911. Larry vickers recomends only the full size 5 inch steel gun, as he feels these are the most reliable YMMV

They're both cool. I would sooner carry my commander than my full sized, but I tend to carry physically smaller guns than either of those because I am paranoid about printing and so forth. Perhaps without justification, but that's just me.

The Commander v/s Govt model difference is in the barrel length so wouldn't change anything on the printing. Weight diff yes. Look at the Officers/subcompact models if you want a small 1911. The S&W subcompact is one sweet gun...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

SW1911TA (vs Sig 1911)

These things look unbelievable...I am just trying to determine which one to get. Anyone have one and can help me out? I'm looking at either one of the full size w/ the rail or the two-tone with the commander barrel. Is there really a difference in recoil or accuracy? Any info would be appreciated.

The E's do like very nice, smart enhancements, etc. I think the TA model is the way to go since it has the night sites and rail. Aestethically, I just don't like the fish scales, especially on the grips.

I am debating between that and the Sig 1911. Just having a hard time understanding what is unique about Sig's version of the 1911. I'm headed to the Manchester Firing Line to try it but sadly, they don't have a S&W 1911 for comparison.

The E's do like very nice, smart enhancements, etc. I think the TA model is the way to go since it has the night sites and rail. Aestethically, I just don't like the fish scales, especially on the grips.

I am debating between that and the Sig 1911. Just having a hard time understanding what is unique about Sig's version of the 1911. I'm headed to the Manchester Firing Line to try it but sadly, they don't have a S&W 1911 for comparison.

I liked the SIG 1911 at MFL. They didn't have a S&W 1911 for rental a couple weeks ago. I went to the S&W Academy in Springfield for that.

I liked the SIG 1911 at MFL. They didn't have a S&W 1911 for rental a couple weeks ago. I went to the S&W Academy in Springfield for that.

Great! Can you compare / contrast / report? Which did you like better? Did they have Es available in Springfield or just older 1911s?

Great! Can you compare / contrast / report? Which did you like better? Did they have Es available in Springfield or just older 1911s?

I liked the SIG better. Had a better feel to it. Did you get a chance to try it out?

I didn't see any E's in Springfield (for sale or rent).

So I went to Springfield this past weekend to the S&W range and still no E's for sale or rent. I have been there a few times and I've rented the 945 a few times. This past weekend I decided to try one of their standard 1911s (scandium frame). After firing about 24 rounds through it, I had to go back to the 945. I know this is off topic a bit to my original post, but I'm becoming obsessed with the 945. The accuracy is amazing, very little recoil and it feels perfect in my hand. I think my interest has shifted from the E series...

With an IWB holster there isn't that much difference, really. The main advantage to the commander is it's bobtailed.

IWBing a 5" 1911 though is a bit annoying, thats the main reason guys carry commanders instead. That, and they weigh that much less.

-Mike

These sure are pretty sweet looking. Hopefully, the grey area of Ma Compliancy will be clarified soon.

DSC_40581911SC030.jpg

Back
Top Bottom