SW 929, Ruger Super GP100 or other?

Broc

NES Member
Looking at getting an 8 shot 9mm revolver.

SW 929 seems to be loved by almost everyone, but once in a while I read about issues, and a member here told me that a buddy has one that came with a .358 barrel.

Ruger seems nice, but it is too new. It is hard to find any reviews that are not from someone sponsored by Ruger. Also, I think that getting work done or getting things like replacement springs might be a pain due to how new it is.

What are my other options that are not a gigantic PITA to get in MA?

I might be open to .38 if there is a good option out there.

Last edited:
Why an 8-shot revolver over, say, a P38/P1, or a G48, or a G43?

yNlQWRM.jpg

If you want to consider .38's I have a S&W Performance Center 627 V-Comp which is tough to find in Mass. And a S&W Performance Center 327 TTR8 which is available in Mass. Both 8 shot and cut for moon clips. Both are very nice guns and NFS.

If you want to consider .38's I have a S&W Performance Center 627 V-Comp which is tough to find in Mass. And a S&W Performance Center 327 TTR8 which is available in Mass. Both 8 shot and cut for moon clips. Both are very nice guns and NFS.
Nice man. I will take a look at those. Thank you.

Go for the 38. Way better IMHO
You don't have to worry about glocked brass or crimped primer pockets.
Brass is as cheap as 9mm.
You don't need to run moon clips (but you can if you want to be fancy)
38 can do anything 9mm can and then some.
The 38/357 will work great in the Uberti 1873 you're going to buy ;)

Go for the 38. Way better IMHO
You don't have to worry about glocked brass or crimped primer pockets.
Brass is as cheap as 9mm.
You don't need to run moon clips (but you can if you want to be fancy)
38 can do anything 9mm can and then some.
The 38/357 will work great in the Uberti 1873 you're going to buy ;)
LMAO ... that's another purchase for another thread.

9mm bore diameters can vary from .354 to.358 according to SAAMI specs. Have a 9 mm that the bore is .357 dia a Beretta 92 FS. Called Beretta and was told it's with in SAAMI specs go figure.
Another reason to go with 38. They work better with cast which you can size to fit your bore

I believe they are having an I core match at Harvard this year which is a revolver game. Moon clips rule for revolver games even in 38 special. From what I,ve heard if your starting the revolver game 9mm is recommended over 38 because it's a shorter Cartrage and there for faster to eject and reload on the move. ( if you already own an 8 shot moon clip compatable 38 that's another story) i,d recommend you check out the Brian enous forum, they have a small section related to revolver competition . I,m also looking at revolve options for steel and have found eenous to be informative. A few owners of the ruger super match have posted there.

I believe they are having an I core match at Harvard this year which is a revolver game. Moon clips rule for revolver games even in 38 special. From what I,ve heard if your starting the revolver game 9mm is recommended over 38 because it's a shorter Cartrage and there for faster to eject and reload on the move. ( if you already own an 8 shot moon clip compatable 38 that's another story) i,d recommend you check out the Brian enous forum, they have a small section related to revolver competition . I,m also looking at revolve options for steel and have found eenous to be informative. A few owners of the ruger super match have posted there.
Good point in length.
I still say 38 just trim your brass shorter. I think the speed shooters load to a “mid colt” length For faster reloads and ejection.

Good point in length.
I still say 38 just trim your brass shorter. I think the speed shooters load to a “mid colt” length For faster reloads and ejection.
I was reading that 38 created other issues. One is the moonclips, aparently you have to buy specific ones for the brass used to reload.

The other is the power factor. It is hard to make power factor with 38.

Have you considered the S&W TRR8? Although you either love or hate how these look. I just recently picked one of these up, and I absolutely love everything about it. It's also an 8-shot, in .357/.38 Special. Here's mine:

full

Frank
I didnt know that one existed.

I was reading that 38 created other issues. One is the moonclips, aparently you have to buy specific ones for the brass used to reload.

Yeah good point. Some of the brass is finicky and they make 3 different thickness clips. Not an issue if you buy new brass considering you’re not going to lose it if you’re at a match like shooting a bottom feeder.
All of those 38s are capable of 357 mag loads so you can make PF easy enough.
If you’re really want to be cool you will buy a Medusa 47.
Shoot whatever .355-.357 straight walled cartridge you can find.
Load anything from 380 to 357 mag in the same cylinder.

Looking at getting an 8 shot 9mm revolver.

SW 929 seems to be loved by almost everyone, but once in a while I read about issues, and a member here told me that a buddy has one that came with a .358 barrel.

Ruger seems nice, but it is too new. It is hard to find any reviews that are not from someone sponsored by Ruger. Also, I think that getting work done or getting things like replacement springs might be a pain due to how new it is.

What are my other options that are not a gigantic PITA to get in MA?

I might be open to .38 if there is a good option out there.

929 seems to be the standard for "the games". Moonclips and short rounds make for faster reloads. The other benefit is you can load one round for multiple handguns (if you get into pcc)

On that note, I run a 627.
The new "hot load" for that seems to be .38 colt, or "short colt" for timed reloads.

All the N frame are fairly easy to "smooth out", but its not a 15 min process. A set of stones and about 4-5 hours and its all good.

There was a run of 8 shots in .38 super. Good luck finding one.

Power factors easy to make with .38
I load 160's, you can go up to 180's I believe (books not infront of me, so I'm guessing)
If you're using factory stuff, then power factor's a non issue for either 9 or 38.

Fun fact about moonclips.
The only part of that cartridge thats not SAMMI spec is the groove above the rim. So thicknesses run the gamut, but its nothing to get too overly concerened about.
link is- FAQ's - TK Custom
Revolver supply is another good place to pick up bags of moons.
Whichever route you go, get a mooner and de-mooner, it makes life so much easier.

My mistake.
Hodgdon lists a 170 gr head.
Haven't looked at lymans cast info.
push that to 800 fps and your looking at a p.f. of 136, which you can watch go down range.

Theres a 165 gr option for 9 somewhere on the alliant website- Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

The fed syntec 150 gr stuff is another good option. Noticeably easy in a bottom feed. Out of a 5" stainless wheel gun , I doubt the barrel will move much.

Dawson front sight and a pair of X frame or hogue big-butt and your off to the races

Yeah good point. Some of the brass is finicky and they make 3 different thickness clips. Not an issue if you buy new brass considering you’re not going to lose it if you’re at a match like shooting a bottom feeder.
All of those 38s are capable of 357 mag loads so you can make PF easy enough.
If you’re really want to be cool you will buy a Medusa 47.
Shoot whatever .355-.357 straight walled cartridge you can find.
Load anything from 380 to 357 mag in the same cylinder.

For my V-Comp and TRR8 Brass can be a issue. For my guns I limit brass in clips to RP and Federal which use the same clips. Winchester and everyone else are all over the map on clip thickness.

I,m also looking at revolve options for steel and have found eenous to be informative. A few owners of the ruger super match have posted there.

I have been reading that forum, there is a lot of good info there. That is where I learned what a pain clips can be for 38

If you like revolvers, it's hard not to like either of these smoke wagons.
Every time I shoot them, I am like "oh yes."

As for triggers and actions. If its a new Smith (or new anything) its worth while to check the action and made sure that everything locks up consistantly.
Also even "Performance Center" could benefit from springs and or action work. The TRR8 is totally stock on the inside and the action is smooth, but a LITTLE heavy.
The 627 has new springs, hammer and everything got deburred and slicked on the inside. The original hammer was functional and safe, but it was a MESS. It was either assembled at 3:45 on a Friday afternoon or the person was blindfolded.

IMG_4156.jpg

Back
Top Bottom