• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Survival Senerio - Outbreak

The current season of The Coloney Experiment had me thinking of some nightmare survival senerios that might be possible. Here's one I came up with - Outbreak.

Disease is highly contagious with unknown vector, has a 3-5 day incubation period followed by 7-14 days of progressively dibilitating flu-like symptoms and has a 50% mortality rate. Discovering an Outbreak of this infection in your area, the State and Federal governments establish a quarentine zone that includes your town.

Since detection of the infection only occurs 5 days after infection, anyone wishing to leave the quarentine area needs to report to a quaretine camp for 7 days of confinement, after which if no one in the quarentine group demonstrates symptoms, the group is released.

Food/Water & Supplies may be distributed by bio-hazard suited government personal and guarded by CBN suited military guard. Since water contamination may be a vector, public water supplies are shut-off and bottled water is distrubuted and rationed.

So, what would you and your family do?

It's probably too late already. Think about it.

3-5 day incubation period. During that time how many people have left the quarantine area, infected other people, and may/may not have returned? Or gotten sick somewhere else? This probably would not be a localized and easily contained situation.

Hunkering down in your home may be one option, but what do you do if you or one of your family gets sick?

Breaking the quarantine zone, guns blazing at those damned might or might not work. 50% mortality rate there also?

E&Eing out (escape and evading, basically sneaking out) might be an option. But again, what if you get sick on the way?

It would be nice if you could guarantee that:

1. No one in your party was going to get sick.
2. You had a remote and stocked bug-out location to go to.

Last edited:
Isolate in our house and hope for the best. I have the food and supplies including some medical stuff. I would not go to a quarantine camp.

As forsomeone in the house getting sick, we have a room that can become a designated sick room and a plan in the event of swine/bird/SARs so we would follow that.

I would not go to the quarantine camp... Seen to many movies! [laugh]. I would hunker down. I have a 20 month old daughter and I don't see me trying to sneak her out in the middle of the night going unnoticed.

Last edited:
Doomsday was good movie.

http://wiser.nlm.nih.gov/

again, IF you don't know something is present, how would you know to do anything?

if a substance has a 50% kill rate, it's going to kill 50% no matter what. which would mean you can only treat the symptoms. THIS is why vaccines are given for things like Polio, Small Pox, Flu ect...

the risks of taking the vaccines far out-weight the risks of someone sneaking into the country with it and starting a chain reaction.... i.e. Malaria, H1N1 ect

Bugging in is usually the best choice for an outbreak as long as you can protect yourself if society starts to fall and you have enough supplies, waiting it out could be your best option. If the masses do go crazy and it gets too rough it may be time to break out the maps (you know the ones you have already made yourself with alternate routes to your BOL) and get moving. Unless you know you can get out before it is too late then you should be planning on staying for a while.

I would be A) thankful I don't live in a large city and B) would probably stay put as leaving the home would probably just increase the risk of coming in contact with the contagion. I seriously need to work on my emergency supplies though.

This thread reminds me of the movie Legion. I don't know why.

just don't be a hero and try to save a kid... he may be infact, one of them

This thread reminds me of the movie Legion. I don't know why.

just don't be a hero and try to save a kid... he may be infact, one of them

Have you seen The Crazies?

It was the first thing I thought of when reading this thread. In this situation, I would most likely bug-in, provided nobody at home was sick. If myself or someone at home was sick, I'm not sure what I would do. Maybe take the sick to quarantine and sneak off into the darkness, I'm not sure.

If the masses do go crazy and it gets too rough it may be time to break out the maps
Kill without remorse and make an example of anyone who messes with you.

Pretty soon even the most desperate figure out that 50% chance of death is better than 100% chance of same.

The current season of The Coloney Experiment had me thinking of some nightmare survival senerios that might be possible. Here's one I came up with - Outbreak.

Disease is highly contagious with unknown vector, has a 3-5 day incubation period followed by 7-14 days of progressively dibilitating flu-like symptoms and has a 50% mortality rate. Discovering an Outbreak of this infection in your area, the State and Federal governments establish a quarentine zone that includes your town.

Since detection of the infection only occurs 5 days after infection, anyone wishing to leave the quarentine area needs to report to a quaretine camp for 7 days of confinement, after which if no one in the quarentine group demonstrates symptoms, the group is released.

Food/Water & Supplies may be distributed by bio-hazard suited government personal and guarded by CBN suited military guard. Since water contamination may be a vector, public water supplies are shut-off and bottled water is distrubuted and rationed.

So, what would you and your family do?

Do you think cable tv and internet service would still be available? Maybe I should stock up on DVD's? Damn... what about mobile phones. How will I text my friends?

A lot to think about here...

Have you seen The Crazies?

It was the first thing I thought of when reading this thread. In this situation, I would most likely bug-in, provided nobody at home was sick. If myself or someone at home was sick, I'm not sure what I would do. Maybe take the sick to quarantine and sneak off into the darkness, I'm not sure.

watched that one this week.

i'm a DVD w hore... [laugh]

mp_main_wide_LevelAHazmat.jpg

I'd cut off any travel by my family to any area outside my property limits, this way we can avoid confrontation with anyone who could be infected. Plus we have everything we need here so there would be no need to leave.

Back
Top Bottom