Survival Section

I need to dirty this girl up this season...

Becker Crewman BK-10.JPG

What’s the finish on that blade?

It is a Black Titanium Nitrate, or so I'm told. YouTubers have a hell of a time removing it and customizing the finish. I'm leaving it.

My BoB has a cold steel gi tanto. The other car has a cold stew outdoorsman lite. Very different knives but both pretty good for purpose and value. I got the tanto when it was like $15 on amazon.

one of my woods packages
woods.png

Bark River Bravo II - 1/4" A2 steel ~6inch - could use a fatter handle - otherwise not a bad thwacker - convex edge is a super shaver.
Mora #2 standard (i think) carbon steel ~3inch for fine tasks
Blades are all greased up

What are the two washers on the bottom of the sheath with the paracord through them? Looks like DIY cinch for a leg strap.
Is it effective?

I picked up a Schrade "Leroy" SCHF45 as an alternative to a machete. It's big (blade is 10.4", overall is 16.5", weight is pound and a half) and lops off branches and batons like a mule. (something a machete falls short on) Inexpensive too at $44 bucks...

x_517d4df8.jpg

Last edited:
What are the two washers on the bottom of the sheath with the paracord through them? Looks like DIY cinch for a leg strap.
Is it effective?

You're a smart man!
Yes, washers to cinch like a helmet strap - seems to work well. It's there just in case but, I've yet to 'have' to use it.

Also - nice Leroy lopper. - that's a big boy.

I find my Bravo to be almost a little too big for nimble knife use but, I do love the convex grind for ease of cutting/slicing and the ~6" blade is nice for battoning. But, I'll usually bring a 4.5" scandi in a similar package and my 'hawk to chop bigger stuff.

Also - nice Leroy lopper. - that's a big boy.
Yea, the Leroy is as nimble as a brick, and twice as sharp.
I have a machete, but never take it camping anymore. When I did, I found I was scanning the canopy for banana bunches and low-hanging coconuts...
The Leroy just feels easier to manage with a 10 and a half inch blade.

The rest of my camping gear, other than a folder of choice.
Top Busse ASH-1 "Skinny" 6ish inch blade - I really don't need anything more than this. It does it all.
Middle SYKCO 1311 - I use this in place of an axe at base camp
Bottom Silky Saw GOMBOY - Mucho love for this folding saw.

1HiP2Lb.jpg

I have the smaller Silky Pocketboy,medium-teeth and it is small, lightweight and fast.

Yes the Silky saws are typically push pull. Very aggressive profile. The gomboy is on the larger size for carry but it makes fast work of things. They do make smaller ones.

I miss the old Rep Points so I could say 'thank you' rather than just 'liking' your post.
so - thank you!
:)

Here is my favorite camping folder. An early Doug Ritter RSK MK1. Basically a Griptillian with a beefier blade profile, better S30V steel at the time. Great for batoning small kindling. The safety orange makes it really easy to find when I stupidly drop it in the leaves.

kQdSiiJ.jpg

Here is my favorite camping folder. An early Doug Ritter RSK MK1. Basically a Griptillian with a beefier blade profile, better S30V steel at the time. Great for batoning small kindling. The safety orange makes it really easy to find when I stupidly drop it in the leaves.

kQdSiiJ.jpg
these ritter griptillions are super. I remember buying both, the full size and the mini when they came out. don't recall the date but it was over 13 years ago. sadly, I sold them, and the bulk of my knife collection, to finance a little internet fountain pen business. anyway, iirc, benchmade started releasing these with a few different scale colors. I seem to remember yellow, but wasn't the orange the first release? never used my ritters, wish I kept those. congrats for owning one.

eta: sitting remembering here over coffee...wasn't the orange a limited edition run marketed towards first responders when they first appeared?

I have an Ontario SP-1 in my GHB. I had the Swedge blunted so I can throw it in my pack when I go hiking and not have to worry. Probably overkill, but in MA you never know....

7EE182C9-08F9-4633-9536-FC05AEDEF741.jpeg 940D96C9-9F35-4DD7-8DF0-F512FE5A6174.jpeg 8D7B138E-AFDE-4414-AE92-FCE7370C65C5.jpeg 33682C27-786D-47D6-BE33-6711C165E6A8.jpeg 0856BDA7-4704-4792-80BC-F0735FBF782F.jpeg Tops Machete .230 w/some small fire starter items in pouches, a chemlight w/10’ of 100MPH tape wrapped around it and 10’ of 550 cord wrapped around that. Additional 20’ of 550 cord wrapped around the sheath between the pockets.

Cold Steel Recon Tanto w/Carbon V30 steel blade (old original at about 25yrs old now and still hacking away like a champ) w/15’ of 550 cord wrapped around sheath and firestick w/hollow handle containing a vasoline soaked cotton pad.

Lone Wolf Knives T3 w/CPM S30V steel blade and 5’ of 550 cord attached. It’s big folder and solid as a rock.

Last edited:
Nice set up. That T3 looks sick!

It is a beautiful knife, thank you. Got it for 200.00 (after Benchmade had bought out Lone Wolf). If I did my research right before I bought it, it was worth around 500.00 at the time by collectors. Crazy.

And since nobody asked, I’ll tell you, the little flask I keep in my machete pouch is filled with 18yr old Scotch.

I figure at my age if shit goes that far south that I’m sitting in the woods with a machete, I’ll just sit quietly for a few moments and have a good drink while deciding what to do next.

Very good thinking! I’ve got a small metal flask somewhere. I’ll have to rig it to my kit.

Yep, no better time to take a tactical pause, a deep breath, a good long swig to settle the nerves and think calmly, and then move out smartly to the next AO.

Back
Top Bottom