• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Survival of your Tastebuds...

In college I dated a girl from PR for 4 years. My Favorite recipe: .

This is all from preps

1 Can of Goya pink beans
1 small can of Goya tomato sauce
2 large cans of Goya salchichas (Vienna sausages) sliced 3-4 per sausage
1 onion diced
1 cubenelle (Italian) pepper diced
2 teaspoons garlic
1 packet of sazon Goya seasoning
1 packet chicken bullion
1tbs of olive oil

• In a sauce pan heat the oil to medium high
  • Add the chopped onion and pepper, cooked until soft 3-4 minutes
  • Make a hole in the middle and add garlic, (you want the garlic to touch the panp)cook for 30 seconds and stir
  • Add the packet of sazon and stir. Cook for 30 seconds to bloom the spice
  • Add tomato sauce
  • Using the can add 2.5 cans of water. (You'll decide how much you need based on your taste)
  • Add the beans
  • Add the salchichas
  • Add the packet of bullion and stir
  • Bring to a simmer and cover(leave edge open to allow sauce to thicken)
  • Cook for at least 20 minutes(longer develops more flavor) Stir occasionally
  • Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve over rice

What I just checked on my FIFO long term spices shelf

Real lemon lemon juice concentrate
Salt (a lot). Like enough to preserve game. Think Barrels
Garlic granules (not powder)
Cocoa in vacuum sealed mason jars
Franks sauce
Siracha
Cholula
Chili powder
Tumeric
Pepper
Chipotle
Adobo
Tomato powder by the case
Honey
Chocolate chips (again, vacuum packed) good for 4+ years
Soy sauce
dehydrated ginger
dried mustard
not-so dried mustard
Balsamic Vinegar
White vinegar
Cider Vinegar
Dried basil
Dried parsley
Boullion beef and chicken
Liquid smoke
Sugar (again long term stored)
Molasses
Rum (just for flavor)
Cumin

If you're going to be thinking very long term, seeds for any of the spices above you'd like really long term

I have been actively "prepping" since shortly after 911 and because I have food stores in my preps that I rotate in to my regular diet I have found one very important fact...

Bland food sucks.

So this is just a reminder that ANY spices/herbs/seasonings/sauces that you can have in your "stores" will make that rice/oatmeal/wheat taste much better than plain old salt and pepper.

One of my favorite long-term storage flavors is... Sriracha!
iu

Here is one of my favorite uses for Sriracha sauce.

I cup of fresh or canned green beans in a saute' pan with a little butter cook until al dente' or warm in the case of canned, grind a little black pepper and sea salt then drizzle sriracha to taste. Toss until green beans are fully coated and the sriracha is starting to glaze.
BAM! Never have dull green beans again!

Please feel free to add what you like to "pep" up your food stores!

~Matt

I have survived some of the worst ship food on the face of the planet with a few bottles of that stuff. Its worth it's weight in ammo if shtf.

Stock up every few BJs runs. I'm the only one in the house who likes it, but darum does it make things which are crappy fairly yummy.

Franks sauce
Siracha
Cholula
Chili powder
Tumeric
Pepper
Chipotle
Adobo
Honey
Soy sauce
dehydrated ginger
dried mustard
not-so dried mustard
Balsamic Vinegar
White vinegar
Cider Vinegar
Dried basil
Dried parsley
Liquid smoke
Molasses
Rum (just for flavor)
Cumin

If you're going to be thinking very long term, seeds for any of the spices above you'd like really long term

Jay's gonna open up the first "Post-SHTF Restaurant Chain and Ammo Supplies"... [smile]

Great Preps!

I may have copied that list out to Keep + offline storage.

The biggest trick, and hardest to accomplish, is FIFO and rotation of your stock.
That list would make any bad situation better because if you are eating bland you are not thriving and "not thriving"
is detrimental to survival. You have to want "to go on". Bland food kills!

Spices and seasonings can go bad (mostly taste-wise) after some time, so you want to keep rotating in new supplies as you use your stores in daily/weekly/monthly meal preps.

There was a short-lived TV series during the end of the 1990's (if I recall correctly) which put together a few teams of homesteaders who were tasked to build shelter, hunt/trap and gather other edibles. My recollection is that many of the teams "tapped-out" because they had run out of sugar and other sweeteners and thus had very bland food.

Don't let your "Tastebuds" tap you out!

~Matt

Jay's gonna open up the first "Post-SHTF Restaurant Chain and Ammo Supplies"... [smile]

Great Preps!

I cannot stress enough the value of a foodsaver, along with a mason jar fitting. Standard and wide.

Most spices go 'bad' due to oxygen. O2 absorbers and vacuum dramatically extend shelf life of spices.

2 other things to add to the list:

Cinnamon
Vanilla (since it's in alcohol, very long shelf life)
Both 'sweeten' things when they are added.

For a long term sweet supply, I'll also go with 'plant fruit trees', because apples dehydrate nicely, and also make cider (and applejack) if you're trying to get away from the curse of the bland.

Don't forget the tart (granny smith) as a change-up flavor

People are going to eat to live and not live to eat. Taste will be optional IMHO. Pepper corns (ground), sea salt & red pepper flakes would be nice to have but not needed. YMMV.

A bump for this thread.

I just rotated some spices, etc and added
cumin,
sofrito,
tomatillo
lime juice concentrate.
cayenne
Also added sweet chili sauces,
honey
3 kinds of tea
more coffee, and a percolator to brew it
more dry milk
bought a case of those silly jelly containers you get at a restarant
and while it is not a spice, I have added fresh yeast and sourdough starter to this shelving unit

while it's not spices per se powdered gatorade in 2 flavors and some sweetened lemon iced tea too....for Hydration, a sweet treat and possible illness treatment for gastroenteritis

Do you guys notice a huge flavor difference between canned and dried beans? Dried seems like too much hassle for my day to day so I end up stocking up on canned. During the apocalypse I'll have more "free" time so maybe I'd enjoy taking more time to cook lol

Franks sauce
Siracha
Cholula
Chili powder
Tumeric
Pepper
Chipotle
Adobo
Honey
Soy sauce
dehydrated ginger
dried mustard
not-so dried mustard
Balsamic Vinegar
White vinegar
Cider Vinegar
Dried basil
Dried parsley
Liquid smoke
Molasses
Rum (just for flavor)
Cumin

I'd add in several containers of:

Pickling spice
Celery seed
Thyme
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Minced onions
Red pepper flakes
Cayenne pepper
Italian seasoning
Garlic salt
Dill weed
Sesame seed
Fennel seed
Millet seed
Ground Coriander
Cajun seasoning
Chives
Lawry's seasoned salt
Sea salt ( choose one)

Sorry for any dupes.
My favorite place for spices by the case is ( used to be Ocean State Job Lot).....they don't have them here but they have a place called Ollie's which is much the same.

Last edited:
Do you guys notice a huge flavor difference between canned and dried beans? Dried seems like too much hassle for my day to day so I end up stocking up on canned. During the apocalypse I'll have more "free" time so maybe I'd enjoy taking more time to cook lol

Dry store better and longer, but require a lot more water, so that is the trade off. I keep some of both.

For rotation, I have a five shelf wire bread rack that I take from one side to refill pantry and load fresh bought from the other side. A lot of it gets used and replaced with in a year, but nothing sits for more than two years and that includes the mountain house stuff.

Franks sauce
Siracha
Cholula
Chili powder
Tumeric
Pepper
Chipotle
Adobo
Honey
Soy sauce
dehydrated ginger
dried mustard
not-so dried mustard
Balsamic Vinegar
White vinegar
Cider Vinegar
Dried basil
Dried parsley
Liquid smoke
Molasses
Rum (just for flavor)
Cumin

Well I know where I'm going if SHTF! Can I bring my dog?

Anytime I use dried beans I soak them and cook them in chicken broth or bouillon. It adds some flavor.

I buy powdered spices out of the "bulk" section at whole foods. It's actually CHEAPER than buying the prepacked bottles and I can buy as little as I want, or more! Yes, because sometimes you want less of one spice than the bottle. Spices have a "shelf life" to them as far as flavor goes. I like as fresh as possible. I make my own "mixes" or combos. I mix up my own fajita seasoning and steak seasoning and a completely different one I call "red chicken" just because of the paprika, makes the chicken red, even though I have been known to put it on steak. I have also put my "steak seasoning" on chicken just because it's good. I often use onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne on anything and everything - chicken, beef, sausage, and even sauteed veggies. I have my own smokehouse rub I use in the smoker as well.

huge taste difference. but if you already used canned, then stock that. beans can be "tricky" to make from dried and require a lot of water and or heat/fuel. Not likely something you can count on in a SHTF scenario.

Back
Top Bottom