• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Survival Kits

O/U

Hey guys,

In light of this article about a Vermont hunter who got lost and managed to survive two nights in the frigid woods:

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=153164&ac=PHnws&pg=1

I wanted to start a thread dealing with the contents of small survival kits that are practical for field carry. I just re-made mine with some stuff I bought at REI, and while it's a bit bulky and heavy I think it's pretty good.

I'm going to post photos of it in a little while, but I wanted to get the ball rolling.

Let me give you a scenario to start discussion:

It's winter. You're in the woods and you're lost. What did you bring with you to survive? What's in your survival kit?

When I go hiking in the Winter this is what I bring: tent, ground insulation, upper/lower fleece, sleeping bag, fuel, stove, fire-starter, pot, 2 nalgenes [one water and one waste (this can also help you stay warm, use it carefully and close it all the way)], two pair of hand and feet chem warmers, knife, mitts, gloves, balaclava, midnight snacks, and a green laser pointer.

I camped out south of Mt. Cannon once and it was -20 outside my tent, about 20 in my tent by around 2am.

Have something to snack on in the middle of the night. Your body isn't active and as soon as your system cycles in the morning you are going to get cold. One granola bar can help you get through the night.

This is my default inventory when I go into the woods (though this particular version of my kit has not been out there yet):

6059gear.jpg

Now, I just added the Pelican case and some odds and ends. I'm still filling it out.

2269openKit.jpg

Here is the kit opened. I list the contents below:

6479kitDissected.jpg

I divide my kit into four basic categories, with redundancies for each category in case something fails:

1. Fire
2. Shelter
3. Water
4. Signal

1. Fire:

-stormproof matches and striker
-"Light My Fire" magnesium steel and striker
-magnifying lense
-4 Colgan tinder knobs

2. Shelter:

-Adventure Medical Kits space blanket
-plastic zip ties for building enclosure (not added yet)

3. Water:

-Potable Aqua tablets

4. Signal:

-whistle
-mirror
-fire

Additional items in kit:

30 yards waxed thread
Spyderco folder knife
iNove light
small compass
waterproof Pelican case

Carried outside of kit:

Leatherman Tool
Brusletto "Troll" fixed blade knife
Silva Guide Compass
Brunton Compass
Motorola walkie talkie
Cell phone
Topo of area
S&W 686 with 12 rounds (not pictured)

To add to kit:

monofilament line
fish-hooks
wire
clear plastic sheeting for solar still
plastic zip ties

Please jump in and critique my kit! I'm going hunting this weekend in Vermont, and we're going in deep.

Let's see what you bring into the woods!

Last edited:
No first aid?

My brother and I just had this discussion last night, and we both agreed that a survival kit is different from a medical kit. To us a portable survival kit has to be limited so that it is manageable to carry, even when you're not going far.

A medical kit goes above and beyond the survival kit, and this is the one I carry while hunting:

1206medKit.jpg

3512medKitOpen.jpg

A first aid kit is only good if you know how to use it properly.

Not entirely true. While I won't disagree that someone who knows first aid would be much better equipped to handle a situation, even a halfwit liberal could figure out how to cover an open wound.

Last edited:
Good choice, though personally I consider the ability to render first aid to myself or others, part of survival, and I combine them into the same category.

I think the biggest weakness of my kit is that it's bulky. Add food, a 6lbs shotgun, 10 20 gauge loads, vest, hat, jacket, gloves, nalgene with water, 50ft of 700lbs test rope, and a few birds in the bag and it becomes unwieldy!

I need to simplify. Any suggestions?

Good choice, though personally I consider the ability to render first aid to myself or others, part of survival, and I combine them into the same category.

I agree with you, Adam.

In fact, before I bought the Pelican case I lumped everything together into that OR med kit. One thing I noticed though during a fierce rainstorm early in the season was that the OR is not waterproof. I've been carrying it for years, and it was my main kit while trekking in the Himalayas.

I recently read a comparison article on survival kits in Field and Stream and none of them had any medical supplies. I think the idea is that you have two levels of protection: the first is the absolute necessities, the second is comfort.

You could argue that a first aid kit is not about comfort, but I would counter by saying that if you're wearing any kind of clothing (hopefully you're not hunting in the buff!) and have a knife, you can improvise all manner of slings and wound covers.

I do see your point though.

If it were me, I would drop the rope, and substitute some masonry string. It is strong enough to do most things you might need to do to survive without the weight. Also, you could probably get rid of 2 of your 3 compasses. Outside that, I don't think there is much extra you could drop. You might be able to pack down your first aid supplies, by losing the trauma scissors, and only keeping an ace bandage, triangle bandage, and some gauze.

If it were me, I would drop the rope, and substitute some masonry string. It is strong enough to do most things you might need to do to survive without the weight. Also, you could probably get rid of 2 of your 3 compasses. Outside that, I don't think there is much extra you could drop. You might be able to pack down your first aid supplies, by losing the trauma scissors, and only keeping an ace bandage, triangle bandage, and some gauze.

Thanks for the tips, Adam. I think you're right about the medical kit. It's very bulky as I have three packets of rehydration salts and some energy goo along with all manner of bandages, extra matches, slings etc.

I haven't heard of masonry string. I have that waxed string in the kit itself, but it's probably not very strong. I'll look for some to compare.

As for getting rid of a compass: I like to have at least two on me as if one fails I have a backup. I know compasses aren't particularly fragile, but just the other day my brother dropped his Brunton on a wood floor and it broke. Completely unusable. A cautionary tale, I think.

Masonry string can be had for short money at any hardware store. You can get it in tons of colors, and like I said it's strong. It's about twice as thick as the waxed string that I have, and holds up well.

I had the same issue as you with the med kit. That's why for going out hunting for the day, I have built my own. It has a couple band-aids, gauze pads, gauze wrap, vet wrap, and some of the single serve packages of ibuprofen. I keep it all double packed in heavy zip-lock bags, and it's all of 5"x3"x2" big.

Personally, I'd lose the Pelican case - it adds bulk. You can easily 'water resist' just about any nylon pouch with a can of Penguin non silicone spray. I put everything in tiny to large Zip-Loc's. They not only keep things dry, but can be used for transporting H2O. I also think you're too redundant with the compass. Silva makes one that's small and you can pin it inside your shirt or jacket. You can even have one from REI on your zipper. I've navigated with one and they work great. Beef jerky or Slim-Jims are fine, but they're too lean. I'd add a Coast Guard bar, pouched salmon, hard candy and some MRE meal packets, (they are thin). Masonry string is great - so is paracord. I also have what I call a "ditch kit". Some use an Altoids tin, I use a large perscription bottle. In it are bullion cubes, two small Slim-Jims, a small Bic lighter, waterproof matches, aluminum foil, water tablets, Motrin, fish hooks, sinkers, fishing flies, a small Swiss Army knife, bandaids, hard candy, tinder, fire cube, finger light, needle and thread. The outside is wrapped with fishing line and duct tape. This is in case my main gear gets compromised. I keep it in a cargo or jacket pocket. You can also thin the herd with first aid by sticking to essentals and even adding things like an Israeli pressure bandage, while you thin redundant items.

Large Backpack with Fanny Pack with survival kit to go.

Large Backpack with Fanny Pack with survival kit to go.

50 LB LIMIT! Remember your going to have to carry it!

One Per person

Large Knife and small Hatchet & Small pocket Knife
Leatherman type tool
Matches in zip lock bag
Fire Starters (Cotton Balls saturated in Vaseline and stored in 35mm film containers) in ziplock bag
Metal drinking cup/and or mess kit in zip lock bag
2 cans sterno in zip lock bag
Duck Tape in zip lock bag
1,000 feet of nylon line
2 rolls of plastice survey marker tape. different colors
fish hooks, sewing needles& nylon line, wine corks
1 Blanket in waterproof plastic trash bag
1 small plastic tarp
4 extra large waterproof trash bags
4 small waterproof plastic trash bags
2 Quarts of drinking water bottles
extra straw water filter, Iodine, ½ pint bleach or water purification tablets
FOOD & coffee/teas/ bulliuon cubes Non perishable, dryed, high energy low weight (5-7 days supply)
canned/potted meat
6 Fruit Juice Boxes
Can opener
Ivory Soap
Towel in zip lock
Roll of toilet paper in zip lock bag
1 space blanket
Mag light (1 small, 1 Large)
Extra set Batteries for flashlights
First Aid Kit with any special prescription medicines
General purpose firearm for protection & hunting .22/.410
Extra ammunition/ hand flares/ cemical light sticks.
Goggles & Sunglasses
Latex Gloves 20 pairs & Leather Work Gloves
2 T shirts, 1 Sweat Shirt, 1 pair Jeans, 1 Ball cap, 1 Watch Cap & 2 large bandana handkerchiefs.
Exta socks heavy & light & extra underwear
Handheld compass & Small mirror
Topo MAP
Crayons & pencils. Wax can be use for making fires & sealing wounds.

military 550 paracord, l.e.d. headlamp with flash or strobe setting, widemouth nalgene bottle cotaining powerbars,ramen noodles,tuna package, steri strip wound closures,surgical tubing for turniqut or slingshot,good old fashioned victor rat trap,snare wire,gerber folding saw,3 sharp broadheads,and a painkiller in case of a fracture,sprain,or dislocation

military 550 paracord, l.e.d. headlamp with flash or strobe setting, widemouth nalgene bottle cotaining powerbars,ramen noodles,tuna package, steri strip wound closures,surgical tubing for turniqut or slingshot,good old fashioned victor rat trap,snare wire,gerber folding saw,3 sharp broadheads,and a painkiller in case of a fracture,sprain,or dislocation

I love the rat trap idea! A little bulky, but it sure would do the trick in a pinch.

Still, a person can go a long time without food. I think for a small kit I'll throw in some energy packets and leave it at that.

I agree that the Pelican case is bulky, but I hunted this weekend in the snowy pines and we got hit with a heavy snow squall. Between dustings from snow-laden pines and the squall, my vest pockets managed to get quite wet and I had a half inch of water in my game bag. The kit stayed dry and survived me falling on it several times.

A waterproof bag may be more convenient, but the hard case sure handled the rigors of wet weather hunting very well. I'm going to stick with it for now.

My small survival kit (give or take) which I carry everytime I go out. It is attached to my belt in a nylon cordura pouch...
- Leatherman Wave multi tool
- Metal match (a.k.a. "FireSteel")
- S/S snare wire
- Fishing kit
- Water puri tabs
- 550 cord
- 1 large (heavy duty) trash bag
- Bandages & anti bac soap/creme

That's what the 550 cord is for, I always carry plenty as it serves many different uses, from certain deadfall traps and snares, to shelter building and fire making (bow and drill), etc, etc. In my pack, I carry a med specific kit along with the rest of my gear. My small surv kit is my lightweight/bare essentials kit secured to my person in the event I lose my pack in the process.

Back
Top Bottom