• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Survival food

Jacq

NES Member
Other than the basic but slightly more than you eat and stock up process, I am looking to get some initial survival food and possibly water to jump start the stocking up.

what is the best way to approach this? morning farm/mountain house or other? cant hurt to start looking with the coming deals.

appreciate the suggestions.

mypatriotsupply.com has some pretty good deals from time to time...i picked up 4-1 week supply kits for under $80 a month ago. i haven't tried it yet, but word is that it's pretty darn good for something that lasts 25 years!

http://beprepared.com/

They always have decent black Friday/cyber Monday sales. FYI pay attention to the serving size and weight per can. Don't waste your money on things you can buy at the store and put away cheaper like sugar/salt rice and beans etc.

i would start by getting a vacuum sealer and buy a bunch of rice. Put the 10lb bag of rice in the freezer for a week to kill off any insects or organisms that may be in the bag and then vacuum seal the rice with an oxygen absorber and store it in a food grade bucket. Do this with rice, beans, and next do flour, sugar and salt. i would do this until you have a few full buckets of each item then buy $100 worth of ramen noodles and $100 bucks worth of mixed pasta, canned veggies and tuna. Also look into water. either 55gallon barrels or milk crates full of gallon jugs. then worry about trying the pre packaged mountain house meals.

i would start by getting a vacuum sealer and buy a bunch of rice. Put the 10lb bag of rice in the freezer for a week to kill off any insects or organisms that may be in the bag and then vacuum seal the rice with an oxygen absorber and store it in a food grade bucket. Do this with rice, beans, and next do flour, sugar and salt. i would do this until you have a few full buckets of each item then buy $100 worth of ramen noodles and $100 bucks worth of mixed pasta, canned veggies and tuna. Also look into water. either 55gallon barrels or milk crates full of gallon jugs. then worry about trying the pre packaged mountain house meals.
+lots.

Only thing I would add is pnut butter. What tater said gives you long shelf life at very low cost. If you are bugging in, you can store canned products, meat, fish, veggies, beans, etc. Lasts forever, also source of liquid.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This. I started 2 yrs ago buying an extra $10/week. I've spent $1000 so far and have over 12 months of food for 5 people. IMG_20161122_50405.jpg IMG_20161122_44360.jpg 20160422_173139.jpg

Never buy Ramen, the nutrition is for shit. It's literally nutritionally unavailable, and the sodium is high.

Buy a foodsaver, and then buy the mason jar vacuum sealer. You can make meal or week-sized portions without needing to break seals on a 5 gallon bucket. Buy balanced nutrition - while you can live on rice, it's subsistence. Add beans, meats, honey/sugar and spices to keep appetite fatigue from becoming an issue. Also put some coffee/tea ahead, because you'll miss it. Store what you eat, and eat what you store. Watch for expiration dates, which are a guideline.

Here's a primer: https://survivalblog.com/newbies/

For a water filter, grab this for $30. A couple of home Depot buckets, instant gravity feed filter systemView attachment 183248

Get a water filter. Then a backup water filter. Katadyn is another name to look at. Berkey if you want to go large. At my cabin in NH, I have a dug well, a pond at the bottom of the property and a stream that runs even in February (although at a much diminished flow from the drought), and I still have 2 filters there. Nothing will take you out faster than no potable water.

Make sure you have a way t filter and store filtered water.

Went to the beprepared.com website. Saw some good prices on the "Pre Black Friday" sale. However, after reading two unfavorable reviews from people who complained about bulging cans I think I'll pass One person was told it was because they didn't store it below 70 degrees, Disappointing. Stick with Mountain House and watch for sales?

Went to the beprepared.com website. Saw some good prices on the "Pre Black Friday" sale. However, after reading two unfavorable reviews from people who complained about bulging cans I think I'll pass One person was told it was because they didn't store it below 70 degrees, Disappointing. Stick with Mountain House and watch for sales?

Were the 2 reviews on the same product? I recently saw something like that one product and also noticed they only gave a 2 year shelf life for that item. That item will probably end up discontinued. It was some kind of corn bread mix. I always check the reviews before buying any LTS foods. Also they have #10 cans of Mountain House if you are concerned about the Provident Pantry/Emergency Essentials brand not holding up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom