• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Survival Deals

Augason Foods, 2 week organic food supply, $94. Use code "1FREE" for buy one-get one. Offer expires 8/20/18.

Have to admit I dont follow prices on emergency food so I cant really say for sure if $94 is an everyday price or a good deal overall other than the fact its its BOGO.

BePrepared has the Patriot Pantry 720 serving coffee kit(includes creamer and sugar pack) for $42.99 instead of the regular $77.95. Same 720 serving(excluding the creamer and sugar) on Amazon for $79.99.

I've no experience with the coffee, but it brought to mind the last time power went out this past winter. A neighbor stopped by to ask for some help with something and when I opened the door his jaw nearly hit the floor when he noticed the cup of coffee in my hand. He moved to look past me to the stove and asked where I had got the coffee with no power and no percolator so I pointed to the Keurig(while smugly taking a sip, lol). With him still looking slightly confused I pointed to the extension cord running across the kitchen floor which his eyes followed to the door leading to the deck and the genny.

He told me he'd give me $25 for two cups worth just to get his wife to shut up, I told him he could have them for free and dug out a insulated coffee car mug. [laugh]

Woot also has Mountain House #10 can case of Chicken a' la King on sale for $140, over $200 with shipping from Amazon and higher at BePrepared.

BePrepared has the Patriot Pantry 720 serving coffee kit(includes creamer and sugar pack) for $42.99 instead of the regular $77.95. Same 720 serving(excluding the creamer and sugar) on Amazon for $79.99.

I've no experience with the coffee, but it brought to mind the last time power went out this past winter. A neighbor stopped by to ask for some help with something and when I opened the door his jaw nearly hit the floor when he noticed the cup of coffee in my hand. He moved to look past me to the stove and asked where I had got the coffee with no power and no percolator so I pointed to the Keurig(while smugly taking a sip, lol). With him still looking slightly confused I pointed to the extension cord running across the kitchen floor which his eyes followed to the door leading to the deck and the genny.

He told me he'd give me $25 for two cups worth just to get his wife to shut up, I told him he could have them for free and dug out a insulated coffee car mug. [laugh]

Woot also has Mountain House #10 can case of Chicken a' la King on sale for $140, over $200 with shipping from Amazon and higher at BePrepared.
Add coupon code SURVIVAL15 to the coffee order for an additional 15% off.

For coffee I'll just use our propane-powered ranger stove to boil water and use the French press. We have a hand grinder that should still work. :) Since my wife is being stubborn about a generator. :(

Last edited:
For coffee I'll just use our propane-powered ranger stove to boil water and use the French press. We have a hand grinder that should still work. :) Since we wife is being stubborn about a generator. :(

How do you heat your house now and does that heating appliance require electricity for a thermostat? Do you or will you have an alternate, independent heat source like wood or coal and plenty of fuel on hand?

Making coffee falls low on the priority list when you're without heat in the winter months and your pipes are freezing.

Never understood how anyone could not have or want a back up generator, even a small one.

How do you heat your house now and does that heating appliance require electricity for a thermostat? Do you or will you have an alternate, independent heat source like wood or coal and plenty of fuel on hand?

Making coffee falls low on the priority list when you're without heat in the winter months and your pipes are freezing.

Never understood how anyone could not have or want a back up generator, even a small one.

We have an oil furnace, and a $900 Honda generator could run it with a few gallons a day. My wife obsesses about pipes freezing but refuses to get a generator, saying we've never lost power for more than a few hours. I'd explain the logic but I'm male, so I can't.

We have an oil furnace, and a $900 Honda generator could run it with a few gallons a day. My wife obsesses about pipes freezing but refuses to get a generator, saying we've never lost power for more than a few hours. I'd explain the logic but I'm male, so I can't.

Sadly, some people insist on learning the hard way.

Lol love that idea! She’d figure it out though

BUT! Would she realize the folly of her thinking/ways?

Its not about losing power for a few hours, its about losing power for months or even permanently and having a viable alternative source however temporary to fill the gap.

I suspect she would be very intolerable to deal with come a long term SHTF situation. To me that is UNACCEPTABLE IN EVERY WAY.

Personally, I would do what's needed and just ignore the resistance.

Get on board and help crew the ship or stay home.

Last edited:
I think my wife views getting a generator as giving validity to my prepping interests.

Stash small amounts of loot that won't be missed, maybe sell some infrequently used items(the story being that they just happened to break so you got rid of them[wink wink]). Once you get enough scratch together get the genny YOU want and hide it in a local storage facility. If you ever end up needing it she may be pissed but she'll be happy you did it(of course more than likely never acknowledging it), and if you never need it no harm no foul just sell it off later and buy her something pretty saying you hit a scratch ticket or something.

Just spitballing.

Have you tried the water bottle style? Seems easier since you can fill it at a water source and carry it around. I bought a couple yesterday.

Have you tried the water bottle style? Seems easier since you can fill it at a water source and carry it around. I bought a couple yesterday.

I haven't, but some of the puddles I drank out of with this, the bottle wouldn't have worked. I have them for emergency only. My sawyer filter is for regular fill ups. In Alaska I used it several times just drinking rain water off the tops of rocks. Never got sick, so I am assuming it works, lol.

I haven't, but some of the puddles I drank out of with this, the bottle wouldn't have worked. I have them for emergency only. My sawyer filter is for regular fill ups. In Alaska I used it several times just drinking rain water off the tops of rocks. Never got sick, so I am assuming it works, lol.

Yeah I have both the Sawyer and the bottles for emergencies and for when the kids are older and we do longer hikes. I'm not sure they will block heavy metals or viruses but should block bacteria for sure.

Back
Top Bottom