Survival Deals

Forgive me for being a food storage noob.
Instead of paying for a gamma bucket, couldn't you just get the food containers from a bakery? they usually had frosting in them.
I know they don't have a rubber seal like the gamma buckets. But, if the food you are storing is already in mylar, why not use those? The MB near me just throws them out, unless I go up to the counter and ask.
I've gotten 1 gallon and 5 gallon buckets, with lids, for free. They are great for storing all kinds of items, like grass seed.

You're correct, there's no real utility in a fancy bucket if you're already using mylar. I don't even use buckets, I use 1 gallon mylar bags so its easy to just bring up a portion to the pantry and then it goes in regular tupperware. The 1 gallon bags in the basement are just stored and stacked in totes. Some might claim there's a rodent risk here, but I haven't encountered that... plus my maine coon keeps a watchful eye down there.

Forgive me for being a food storage noob.
Instead of paying for a gamma bucket, couldn't you just get the food containers from a bakery? they usually had frosting in them.
I know they don't have a rubber seal like the gamma buckets. But, if the food you are storing is already in mylar, why not use those? The MB near me just throws them out, unless I go up to the counter and ask.
I've gotten 1 gallon and 5 gallon buckets, with lids, for free. They are great for storing all kinds of items, like grass seed.

You're correct, there's no real utility in a fancy bucket if you're already using mylar. I don't even use buckets, I use 1 gallon mylar bags so its easy to just bring up a portion to the pantry and then it goes in regular tupperware. The 1 gallon bags in the basement are just stored and stacked in totes. Some might claim there's a rodent risk here, but I haven't encountered that... plus my maine coon keeps a watchful eye down there.

I buy buckets cheap wherever I can find them and buy gamma lids seperate for some. If it's a bucket I will be accessing frequently it gets a gamma lid. Less frequent buckets or those intended for real long term storage get a regular lid.

Oh.. today only.. Sportsman's Guide is doubling the member discount for members on everything except ammo.

Someone posted in the subforum campbells at MB for $1. There's that and 69c boxes of Prince pasta this week.

How much was shipping?

I just got my box of 10 delivered today. Shipping for 10 of them was $15.95. They just removed two from a case of 12, and shipped me the rest of the case.

They all arrived in good shape and look great. They are about 2x the size of the little ones you get at Walmart.

I am giving two lanterns and a half gallon of fuel to each of my siblings for Christmas. I am trying to find a good way to package them up which will work as a gift box and storage container. I thought about putting them inside a 5 gallon pail with gamma seal lid, but they are too tall.

I'm going to look for some kind of ammo crate or similar container.

These are a nice deal. I may need to order a few more.

Lanterns001.jpg

Last edited:
I got my lanterns today. ordered 12/7, received 12/12, not bad at all. very nice lantern for the money, I see them selling elsewhere for as much as $29.
This is not the place to buy the fuel though. They get $19.95 for it, Lowes has the exact same fuel (kleanheat) for $10.98 and no shipping.

I got my lanterns today. ordered 12/7, received 12/12, not bad at all. very nice lantern for the money, I see them selling elsewhere for as much as $29.
This is not the place to buy the fuel though. They get $19.95 for it, Lowes has the exact same fuel (kleanheat) for $10.98 and no shipping.

Can I get a quick schooling on this? How cost effective are they relative to hording candles? How long does that $11 worth of fuel light one of these suckers? Also, safety factor... I take it the days of one of these falling off a table causing an inferno are over? Easy to use?

Still waiting for mine, thanks for the tip on the oil

first noteworthy week in awhile at Market Basket March 3-9:

24 pack of Charmin Double Rolls, $10.99 ($4 off normal, this back up the truck pricing. I usually pick up 2 years supply when generic is a dollar less)
29oz cans of sliced peaches, $99c (51c off)
11oz cans of whole kernel sweet corn, $.50c (50c off)
101oz Can Capatriti Olive oil, $9.99 ($4 off)

Soup sale season is back on...

Campbell's Homestyles (12 varieties) on sale at Market Basket this week for $1.25, there's also 50c off two coupons printable off their website for $1 can.

10~oz regular can chicken soup and tomato cans are 5 for $3

Last edited:
Excellent week at Market Basket coming up, staring Sunday:

**HOT** Prince Pasta, 1lb Boxes - 50c
Campbell's Chunky Soups: 4 for $5
Store Brand, 15oz Canned Vegetables 5 for $3
Comstock, Pie Fillings $2.50
Rinaldi Pasta Sauce - 99c

I've never seen pasta so cheap per pound. They usually have another brand for 79c which is cheaper than Costco/Sam's Club bulk as is. If you have any Mylar bags left, this is perfect for them. It does fairly well in a Rubbermaid style containers boxed as well, even in a damp basement for a few years thus far in my testing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom