Survival/Bushcraft Knife - There can be only one (or two)

"Back in the day" (of M81 camo w/ Elvis collars) I carried a BFK in the field for a short time.
It was a cool blade (despite the finish flaking off), but it proved to be too unwieldy for use in the field opening MREs, cutting 550 cord, and opening mangos.
Even for cutting aiming stakes and building shelters, it was just too much knife (heavy).
I gladly sold the knife to another Marine, who seemed to enjoy it.

The first Marine on the left (still buddies with today) carried an SRK (Survival Rescue Knife) from Cold Steel and he still has it.
I thought that was a really good knife also.

Colombia, July 1990:
View attachment 520106
Just wondering...why would you guys be sleeves up in a field environment?

Yep, winter is coming- which means Winter Warrior postal match. And ski racing, and skiiing at Cannon, and the Leominster winter offhand match series, and ...

I hope it's COLD with TONS of snow.
What's that matter with you? That's just not right. Tons of snow? Really?

BHK is one company that offers high carbon non-coated steel blades with 90deg spines for your ferroRod.
I've had bad luck with ColdSteel (kinda junky in the handle department).
Mora (as boghog noted) is a good value that will get the job done.

It's also possible to 90deg the spine of any knife with a pipe wrapped in sandpaper, clamped in a vice.

-also curious about Canterbury's quality of courses.
-please report back.
:)

BHK is one company that offers high carbon non-coated steel blades with 90deg spines for your ferroRod.
I've had bad luck with ColdSteel (kinda junky in the handle department).
Mora (as boghog noted) is a good value that will get the job done.

It's also possible to 90deg the spine of any knife with a pipe wrapped in sandpaper, clamped in a vice.

-also curious about Canterbury's quality of courses.
-please report back.
:)
I use a draw-file for a very sharp 90...

1631209724197.png

Nice! ^ will try that next time.
I did a Bark River with a thumb rise and worked the 90 right up the ramp - pipe worked well for that partial radius.

As mentioned. Not having a 90 degree spine doesn't hurt the striking on these.

As mentioned. Not having a 90 degree spine doesn't hurt the striking on these.

DBK has great and entertaining videos. Funny as Hell...

I've loved my Mora knives, but was somewhat surprised to see how much tip deformation my companion received upon making a coke can stove (for S&G). I can correct it through grinding and honing, but the aluminum chewed through the tip much deeper and faster than I would have expected. I've done this with a Gerber before and didn't see this type of damage.

Still, they are otherwise one of the best bang for the buck type of utility knives on the market. Grip feels great in the hand and the blade seems to take an edge really well.

I had one of the very earlier Busses - battle mistress - I believe, wish I kept it.

I have had a bunch of newer ones but the only one I still have is a 2007 HOGFSH chopper. after chopping my way through a lot of small trees, I can attest that INFI is a good steel...

How well is the leather sheath made/functions? I stuck with the polymer...
Not bad, functional. Snap seems to open a little too easy for me. How is the polymer one?
i was going to write them with my concerns but probably not worth it. I will buy an aftermarket sheath, there are many available for the Garberg.

It's a basic design but very well fitted and the leather has some sort of heavy duty treatment.
how is the snap? Does it open easily? I agree well fitted, prob wouldn’t come out, even if snap was unsnapped.

Not bad, functional. Snap seems to open a little too easy for me. How is the polymer one?
i was going to write them with my concerns but probably not worth it. I will buy an aftermarket sheath, there are many available for the Garberg.
I like the polymer case a lot. All my Mora's came with them and they just seem to work well. Zero maintenance too, but not a huge factor.
Hell, write to Mora and they might send you a poly sheath gratis. Doesn't hurt to ask...

Enjoy your knife!

Back
Top Bottom