Survival/Bushcraft Knife - There can be only one (or two)

76Too

NES Member
Ok, dudes...since Enbloc cost me half my weeks pay today so I can go spend a 3 day weekend in November running around in the woods with what will likely be a bunch of fat tacticool guys, I need to pick you creepy knife guys collective brains for some advice on a survival knife.

The course is ‘Basic Survival’ put on by self reliance outfitters.com, but from what I’m reading, there’s nothing basic about it. If I’m going to do this right, I’m expected to follow their gear list as close as possible so I can have the best chance to ‘patch in’ at the close of the class. I could really care less about the patch itself, but knowing that I did something not everyone CAN or would ever even WANT a to do might mean something to me in the long run.

Gear list recommends knife criteria and a few examples (of which they sell, of course) as follows:

1) Cutting Tools:
I have a few Gerber and leather-man tools, as well as a Swiss Army knife and an assortment of various solid buck knives for hunting/skinning and a variety of folders for EDC and just to keep around the house in different places so I never need to walk that far if I need one.

I know next to nothing about knives except that I have cutting myself and one of my worst irrational fears is getting stabbed (hasn’t happened yet, thankfully) to death or actually more horrifying might be having to live through getting stabbed...that probably leaves a mental scar that one doesn’t simply shake off.

anywho...of the knives listed, do any of you have any preference to brand/model for the intended purpose (think bushcraft), or could you recommend something else perhaps that might fit the need even better?

it’s explained elsewhere on the gear description that the 90deg spine is for the sole purpose of starting fires, so that NEEDS to be a feature if I want to survive/thrive/not freeze my dick off at the end of November.

If you want to recommend a backup with similar features too, that’s perfectly acceptable, but I’ll probably just bring one of my buck knives for that if the spine checks out?

please don’t stab me.

Last edited:
Ok, dudes...since Enbloc cost me half my weeks pay today so I can go spend a 3 day weekend in November running around in the woods with what will likely be a bunch of fat tacticool guys, I need to pick you creepy knife guys collective brains for some advice on a survival knife.

The course is ‘Basic Survival’ put on by self reliance outfitters.com, but from what I’m reading, there’s nothing basic about it. If I’m going to do this right, I’m expected to follow their gear list as close as possible so I can have the best chance to ‘patch in’ at the close of the class. I could really care less about the patch itself, but knowing that I did something not everyone CAN or would ever even WANT a to do might mean something to me in the long run.

Gear list recommends knife criteria and a few examples (of which they sell, of course) as follows:

1) Cutting Tools:
I have a few Gerber and leather-man tools, as well as a Swiss Army knife and an assortment of various solid buck knives for hunting/skinning and a variety of folders for EDC and just to keep around the house in different places so I never need to walk that far if I need one.

I know next to nothing about knives except that I have cutting myself and one of my worst irrational fears is getting stabbed (hasn’t happened yet, thankfully) to death or actually more horrifying might be having to live through getting stabbed...that probably leaves a mental scar that one doesn’t simply shake off.

anywho...of the knives listed, do any of you have any preference to brand/model for the intended purpose (think bushcraft), or could you recommend something else perhaps that might fit the need even better?

it’s explained elsewhere on the gear description that the 90deg spine is for the sole purpose of starting fires, so that NEEDS to be a feature if I want to survive/thrive/not freeze my dick off at the end of November.

If you want to recommend a backup with similar features too, that’s perfectly acceptable, but I’ll probably just bring one of my buck knives for that if the spine checks out?

please don’t stab me.
😯
Aaaaaand it’s about 2 minutes from my LGS. There goes my paychecks for the foreseeable future.

Tell me about it! @enbloc just cost me $450 for a survival course and unknown, but likely thousands in equipment.

Not [pot], I promise. What do You want out of this course if you don't care about the patch?
For a "basic course" that relies on the 5C's, or 10C's, they can't decide and have both on their website, they have a pretty specific gear list for a basic-survival course.
Their links are pretty expensive such as this one for a $245.00 wool blanket. November in Ohio can get pretty damn cold this may make the first night rough.

Start posting up some questions here, NES has a shit-ton of knowledge on Woobies/rations/shelters/signaling/navigation in the desert, mountains and jungle.
For You is this along the lines of a Hunter's Safety and Survival? Lost camper scenario? Trucker/Remote worker? Woodsman?
Are you interested in getting in to Community Search and Rescue?
Are you planning to build a survival kit for a vehicle, camp or backpacking coming out of this course?

As @Mtn_Guy posted the ESEE Knives are quite good.

Best of luck. Matt

"on what he coins the 5C's of Survivability" or "the knowledge to survive a 72 hr. emergency scenario, using the 10 C's of Survivability (kit items)."
or (this style only, no others are acceptable)
or

CURRENT ITEM: 100% WOOL QUEEN BLANK​

$245.00 USD

Last edited:

😯

Not [pot], I promise. What do You want out of this course if you don't care about the patch?
For a "basic course" that relies on the 5C's, or 10C's, they can't decide and have both on their website, they have a pretty specific gear list for a basic-survival course.
Their links are pretty expensive such as this one for a $245.00 wool blanket. November in Ohio can get pretty damn cold this may make the first night rough.

Start posting up some questions here, NES has a shit-ton of knowledge on Woobies/rations/shelters/signaling/navigation in the desert, mountains and jungle.
For You is this along the lines of a Hunter's Safety and Survival? Lost camper scenario? Trucker/Remote worker? Woodsman?
Are you interested in getting in to Community Search and Rescue?
Are you planning to build a survival kit for a vehicle, camp or backpacking coming out of this course?

As @Mtn_Guy posted the ESEE Knives are quite good.

Best of luck. Matt

"on what he coins the 5C's of Survivability" or "the knowledge to survive a 72 hr. emergency scenario, using the 10 C's of Survivability (kit items)."
or (this style only, no others are acceptable)
or

CURRENT ITEM: 100% WOOL QUEEN BLANK​

$245.00 USD

training...and training. And they can GFThemselves with their $245 wool blanket...I’ll go with the surplus option, thank you very much.

I’ve never regretted a learning experience, no matter how tough/shitty it was.

Just building on my existing skill sets/training from years as a former boy scout/backpacker/outdoors enthusiast and US Marine.

another feather in my cap, if you will? I’m a fairly newly certified wilderness first responder (this past spring) and I guess I’m kinda unintentionally geared toward being a wilderness/hunting guide? Not sure I’d ever want to walk out in the woods with people I don’t know and possibly have to babysit them, but who knows.

oh, and I still have my pilfered woobie :)
...best piece of equipment the marine corps ever gave me (ok, they didn’t exactly ‘give’ it to me...I digress).

Last edited:
for a knife, I would go with a Mora with carbon blade, not stainless, or TOPS Knives Scandi Trekker Fixed Blade Knife (3.5" Stonewash) - Blade HQ

ETA, if this is a Dave Canterbury course please post up a review after. I really think I need to start offering courses.
It looks like it is a Dave Canterbury course...forgive me because I don’t know who that is?

I’ll definitely post up a review! Not sure how good I’ll be at taking pictures because I have a tendency to become immersed in my training, but I’ll do my best.

I’m toying with the idea of taking the ‘instructor level’ course catalog, but I want to talk to someone about it first before I pay $1500. I realize these are probably all things I could learn on my own, but doubt I’ll get as much out of it if I’m being taught in an immersive environment dedicated to the skills I’m trying to learn.

1) Cutting Tools:

please don’t stab me.

I like the Mora recommendations. You don't need a massive blade, but you do need a full size handle that doesn't weigh a ton. Looks like for fire starting you need good 'ol carbon steel, so you'd have to be absolutely certain that's what you get if you go a different direction. I have a larger fixed blade I keep in the truck, but it's stainless so I can use when saltwater fishing. Those Moras are cheap enough I may grab one. I like the folding saw too. I used to carry the folding buck saws for long backpacking treks but honestly they were longer and bigger than I ever needed.

Seems like they have specific requirements for the course and this won't work, but a classic option and its current gen version for a bug out bag or other survival needs:

31+7KnEW8IL._AC_.jpg
514wQrvRHNL._AC_SL1035_.jpg

Dad had the former when flying for the Marines before and during Vietnam. Since I have one of the leather handled ones, I need to remember to put it in my Oh shit! pack.

The course syllabus seems pretty basic and for a 72 hour survival scenario all I really need is to prevent hypothermia & dehydration plus some cookies and beef jerky LOL. So based on the syllabus it didn't look that interesting to me but when looking at the equipment list it seems that they will teach some interesting makeshift survival skills. For people who don't already have wilderness experience I think it could be very beneficial and the cost for 3 days of instruction seems reasonable. Honestly, other than that blanket price I think their suggested equipment is all fairly if not economically priced.

The big ferro rods fire starters they recommend are a little heavy for long distance treks but a more reliable option than the little plastic handled ones. I keep one of those larger ferro rods in my Oh shit! pack. Dryer lint mixed with wax shavings makes a great fire starter. It can be done but it's really f-ing hard to start fires with natural materials when everything is soaking wet from lots of rain.

Ever have a gunny or two yell at you to take care of your feet? Be sure that you have good boots that you have broken in and trained with carrying a heavy pack. I've had some dipshit teens and even dads practically ruin a trip because they did not have proper boots nor condition their feet. 3-4 miles isn't much even in rough terrain but carrying a pack is harder on your feet so why be miserable?

All excellent advice/observations. I’m definitely counting on it being ‘more than meets the eye’, and the class reviews tell the story a little better than the official syllabus.

I forgot you were really involve with the scouts with your sons. Also something I’ve toyed with getting involved in at some point if they’re still accepting un-woke non-transgender people into the organization? Might seem a little weird for a guy with no kids to want to get involved with a youth group, but I was in big brothers/big sisters for a while too when I was back in MA and it was a really rewarding experience.

anyway, back to the knives, I’ll probably take your advice on one of the Mora’s, but can’t bring myself to buy a k-bar, lol. I refrained from buying one through 8 years in the corps because I never wanted to be ‘that Marine’...there are plenty of those guys out there to satisfy the quota. That being said, it WAS a standard issue item to some (like your dad), which is totally bad ass. I’m not that cool...all I got was an m16 and an m9.

training...and training. And they can GFThemselves with their $245 wool blanket...I’ll go with the surplus option, thank you very much.

I’ve never regretted a learning experience, no matter how tough/shitty it was.

Just building on my existing skill sets/training from years as a former boy scout/backpacker/outdoors enthusiast and US Marine.

another feather in my cap, if you will? I’m a fairly newly certified wilderness first responder (this past spring) and I guess I’m kinda unintentionally geared toward being a wilderness/hunting guide? Not sure I’d ever want to walk out in the woods with people I don’t know and possibly have to babysit them, but who knows.

oh, and I still have my pilfered woobie :)
...best piece of equipment the marine corps ever gave me (ok, they didn’t exactly ‘give’ it to me...I digress).
How's that USMC woobie? Is that made of the Polartec stuff?

one thing on the Mora I suggest is to square off the back, since the bladed are stamped cut and the back isn't ground it will give you better striking surface for use on ferro rods

All excellent advice/observations. I’m definitely counting on it being ‘more than meets the eye’, and the class reviews tell the story a little better than the official syllabus.

I forgot you were really involve with the scouts with your sons. Also something I’ve toyed with getting involved in at some point if they’re still accepting un-woke non-transgender people into the organization? Might seem a little weird for a guy with no kids to want to get involved with a youth group, but I was in big brothers/big sisters for a while too when I was back in MA and it was a really rewarding experience.

anyway, back to the knives, I’ll probably take your advice on one of the Mora’s, but can’t bring myself to buy a k-bar, lol. I refrained from buying one through 8 years in the corps because I never wanted to be ‘that Marine’...there are plenty of those guys out there to satisfy the quota. That being said, it WAS a standard issue item to some (like your dad), which is totally bad ass. I’m not that cool...all I got was an m16 and an m9.

That's the problem with Scouts- lots of troops went woke. There are still some holdouts- you just have to find them. Our troop in TN was run by a retired USMC guy with people mostly like me to assist, so there were plenty of kids & parents that ran away when their feelings were hurt. We were pretty much on the permanent shit list for the Mid TN Council. That said, there was always a single mom or two who wanted their sons to experience specifically what we had to offer. And for the select few who were up for it, we'd take them on 50 to 130 mile treks in the wilderness. We were lucky that a lot of the kids were athletes and/or hunters.

Your wilderness first responder training is super kick-ass. I have Red Cross Wilderness First Aid certification and was going to recommend it. If I can stay healthy enough and not blow up anymore joints playing Bode Miller wannabe in the winter, when retired I'm thinking about volunteering to help pull numbnuts out of the Whites.

Warning- get the eye bleach handy before clicking on this link. You have been warned...

Some great Finnish bushcraft knives. Supposedly the blade material supposed to be harder and tougher than Moras. WTF? distributor web page- should be right up @76Too 's alley...

Varusteleka's Terävä
I can honestly say, I was not expecting that.

I can honestly say, I was not expecting that.

Nor I, especially involving Finns. Looks more like a @Broccoli Iglesias avatar.

@76Too , a solid yet inexpensive compass for orienteering, if you don't already have is the Brunton Nexus standard. About $10 to $14 and all you need, plus a map. :)

Back
Top Bottom