Survival Bread

SR556

Banned
Not sure if this has been posted, but I found a recipe for some survival bread online I thought I'd share. The "keeps indefinitely" part really had me interested, so I am going to eat half and store the other half and see how long it actually keeps. It's really heavy on the oats and more like a granola bar than bread, but it still in the oven so I will let you know how it tastes.

Survival Bread
2 cups oats
2 ½ cups powdered milk
1 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons honey
1 package orange or lemon Jell-O ® (3oz.)
3 Tablespoons water

Combine oats, powdered milk and sugar. In a medium pan, mix water, Jell-O and honey. Bring to a boil. Add dry ingredients. Mix well. If the dough is too dry, add a small amount of water – a teaspoon at a time until you can handle it.
Shape dough into a loaf, while it is still warm, and make it about the size of a brick. You might want to use a small loaf pan to help you shape it. Place the loaf on a cookie sheet, without the pan you used to shape it, and bake at 350 degrees for 15- 20 minutes. Cool.
Wrap in aluminum foil to store. This bread will keep indefinitely and each loaf is the daily nutrients for one adult.

Source: Ready or Not #78: Survival Bread | A Prepared Home.com

Tried it and it's not bad. Very lemony but definitely edible, and mine came out a little too moist so I doubt it will keep for very long. It's supposed to be dry.Next time I'm going to try a different flavor of Jello-O, or try unflavored gelatin, and cooking for 25-30 mins.

The recipe looks a lot like the ANZAC biscuit

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anzac_biscuit

Hard tack is the historical survival bread:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_tack

ype3asyp.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, maybe tomorrow I'll try making some Hardtack.

The "bread" I made hardened up like it's supposed to once it cooled. Not sure how easy it is to eat now. I'm pretty sure you could beat a man to death with a loaf.

Any bread you can make yourself is "survival" bread.

Put up a couple pounds of flour for the short term.

Buckets of wheat, corn and a grain mill for the long term.

I bet dollars to doughnuts any bread you make will be fresher and taste better than any "survival" bread.

...and you could make you own doughnuts too ! [rofl]

Only issue with being able to make donuts is that the shortening doesn't keep as long.

When you eat hard tack, soak it in coffee or water to soften first. That's how you're supposed to eat it. A little bit of salt or butter and it actually tastes pretty good. You can also crumble it up and put in a meat broth to give the broth a thicker stew-like consistency.

If you use a high-energy grain like spelt for the flour, you'll be packing a lot of nutrition in a food that can you can store literally for decades.

Last edited:
Doesn't look like there is much to go rancid in the original recipe. Looks the they are trying to make their own Mainstay type bar.

Back
Top Bottom