Survival and Orienteering - my introduction

Hi all:

Well, I am a new member here so, I will make an introduction about me.

I am fully dedicated to the training and professional teaching on Survival and Orienteering skills, something I`ve been doing for many years in several locals landscapes of jungle, forest and mountains of Argentine, the country where I was born and live, located at the southern end of the South american continent (World`s End).

The reason why I have joined this forum is because I see that some of your like to deal with the "Survival" world and so, I would like to keep in touch with yours, to learn from you and to contribute too. In other words, I like to share information regarding to the survival.

My sporting activity is not only Survival, I also like the "Orienteering sport" with compass and topographic map as a main elements to navigate and also, the Moutaneering and Trekking, sporting activities I have been doing since the beginning of 1998.

Gabriel Esquivel
www.northlatitude.com.ar

Hi all:

Well, I am a new member here so, I will make an introduction about me.

I am fully dedicated to the training and professional teaching on Survival and Orienteering skills, something I`ve been doing for many years in several locals landscapes of jungle, forest and mountains of Argentine, the country where I was born and live, located at the southern end of the South american continent (World`s End).

The reason why I have joined this forum is because I see that some of your like to deal with the "Survival" world and so, I would like to keep in touch with yours, to learn from you and to contribute too. In other words, I like to share information regarding to the survival.

My sporting activity is not only Survival, I also like the "Orienteering sport" with compass and topographic map as a main elements to navigate and also, the Moutaneering and Trekking, sporting activities I have been doing since the beginning of 1998.

Gabriel Esquivel
www.northlatitude.com.ar

That sounds pretty cool. I do a little bit of hiking and camping (not campground camping, but the real thing) myself. Probably not as extreme as the level that you are used to, but still I enjoy it. Are you into firearms at all?

Welcome to the forum.

Most of us will be plenty interested to hear about every aspect of firearms use, ownership, and lifestyle in your country

Many of us (myself included) will be happy to talk survival and some of us have not let our brains deteriorate to the point of being dependent upon GPS. [wink]

We do discuss the topic of survivalism/preparedness from time to time, but it's a small part of what we do here. There are many other sights that focus on the topic.

All the best,

Raoul Duke

Dears Bobcat and Raoul:

Thank for your warm reception to the forum!!.

Well, first of all, I would like to give my thanks to Mr. Derek for allow me being member on this forum. You both know which are my interests on the forum (sports mostly) but I must respect the rules of the forum and your point of views about those subjets that need to be dealed here. On another side, I used to carry some weapons while I was on duty guard at the Air Force in my country (now I am retired). I wouldn`t like to dissapoint you but I am not interested in firearms, though, I own a weapon for my personal safety. Thank you both for your kind welcome and may be we would find ourselves on other parts of this forum . Gabriel :)

Adam: thanks for the welcome !!

Elw: no, I do not run any classes there in the US northeast because I live far away from USA (I am from Argentine). Maybe you know that the original language I speak is the Spanish because it is the offical language spoken in my country but, I studied English language very much, specially enough technical English to be able of running courses on Survival and Orienteering in English in my country, mainly.

At the beginning of this year I almost traveled to USA to attend a Woodland Survival and and Orientering/Land navigation courses but, I couldn`t . I wish I can do it one day.

Gabriel

Gabriel,

Welcome.
How is it that you instruct individuals to allow for the lack of dead reckoning and additional landmark bearings after taking the initial bearing to get from point A to point B, when there is no opportunity to get additional input other than the compass enroute?

john

Welcome! I teach compass use and basic orienteering to the boys in my sons Boy Scout Troop. Nothing too advanced, but they are getting there.

Dead reckoning - double steps

Hi Setterguy: Nice to meet you and sorry for my delay in answering (I`ve been very busy these days).

Answer: To get from a point A to a point B on the ground, using only a magnetic compass and no other navigation instrument, I teach individual to apply the technique named “DOUBLE STEP”. It is very much effective if you use it in daylight.

Well, let’s start at once…what a Double Step is? It is a method used mostly in an Orientation / Land navigation competition or even, in a Survival situation (when someone lack of knowledge about a certain distance to follow), in which you need to figure out how many double steps you can cover by walking in a distance of 100 meters (328,1 foots) on the ground.

For example, in order to make a double step you need to put the heel of your right foot on the ground and then, walk ahead and put the heel of your left foot you the ground (up here, a simple step) and after that, put the heel of your right foot again (up here, a double step –what you are looking for-).

Step 1: now you know what a double step means.

The second thing you have to do is to mark the distance of 328,1 foots on the ground (using a long metric tape for example, rather difficult to get one of this but not impossible), calculate how many double steps you can make in that distance and mark it with two landmarks for example (for example, you made 65 double steps in that distance).

Step 2: now you know how many double steps you have made in a distance of 328,1 foots.

Now that you know the number of double steps you have made in that distance, get a small paper, write that information down and keep it with you wherever you go to the outdoor. Now, with that information in hand, it will be helpful for you to know how long would you have to walk on the ground to get from a point A (a starting point for example) to a point B (a finish point) of a small circuit, when you only have a compass needed to follow a certain course on the ground (215° i.e.). Here you just have one part solved of your problem: the compass and the bearing but, you need to find out the other part: how to cover the distance of 3 kilometers without having idea of it. In order to do it you need to make 65 double steps on the ground (always following the original course set in your compass) and multiply it by the number of 30.

65 double steps means = 321,1 foots (100 mts) of distance on the ground (your personal measure).

65 double steps X 30 = will give you the approximate distance to run (the 3 kilometers).

But..how can you manage yourself to count every unit of distance (321,1 foots) would be walking? Well, there are a few options to choose: you can write it on a paper, get a lot of little stones and for each unit of distance you run, keep one stone in your packet and besides, you can get a small cord and make a little knots for every unit of distance you have walked until you have made 30 knots, that would indicate you have reached the 3 kilometers approximately.

I hope to have answered what you asked.

Gabriel

Hi everybody

Sorry but after posting my answer to Setterguy I just noticed about your welcome to the forum.

Hi Stixnstones:

Thank you for your welcome also!! I am sure you would be delighted with my contribution to the forum about the Survival techniques used in South America. I hope the same from you.

Mrs. Wildweasel:

I already enjoy being here on this forum. Of course I enjoy being here !

Dips_jr:

I am from Buenos Aires city, the capital of Argentine…and where are you from?

Tim_J:

Glad to hear from you too. I used to be a Boy Scout by the year 1975/76 and I remeber have learn the very basic on survival but, I was too young. We can share information here and if you need anything I can help you, just let me know.

Gabriel

Back
Top Bottom