Survey: What prep turned out to be most useful in Pandemic?

What prep turned out to be most useful in Pandemic of 2020?

• Total voters

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
When the SHTF, what turned out to be the most important prep you had made?

For this particular Incident, the n95 mask. I had about 5 boxes of them. I gave away quite a few, I am on queue at my local lumber yard and hardware stores for more.
I work in construction so I have them on hand for work related projects and they came in handy.

I have carried a 100 pack of latex (I am not allergic) gloves in my truck forever. They were in case I had to render first aid while on the road. They fit well and were invaluable when gloves went OOS. Did not see gloves on the list.

Masks. Shipped some to my mom out of state (were supposed to arrive friday so may have been donked by usps on those) and gave some to a hospital worker friend of mine.

To be honest, it hasn't been that difficult and part of it has even been enjoyable.

What has helped me the most was our well stocked chest freezer. When the panic hit for meats, we didn't need any.

I already had TP, hand sanitizer, soap, cleaning wipes, alcohol wipes, gloves, and masks.

my borderline personality disorder is the tool being used the most at this time. i basically hate people and could care less if i'm around them so this social distancing is nothing new and actually, i'm happy people have to stay away. as an at risk person, i started my self-imposed isolation the 2nd week of january and i'm lovin' it.

I said N95 masks, but I'm really glad my wife got a good stash of Microban-24hr disinfectant spray and alcohol gel. One of my boys is on the front lines (asst mgr at Market Basket). While home he keeps himself in healthy-quarantine, but having gel in various places around the house and being able to wipe down the door knobs, light switches and etc. in the few parts of the house where we have to overlap with our son has been comforting.

Frog lube.

Dan-Bilzerian-guns.jpg

my wife, accomplished seamstress, made over a hundred high quality masks to send out those in need. Worked with me to install 2 12'x6'x12" raised gardens, been cooking up a storm. She's SHTF approved, hopefully I am. Also, ammo prep is good for the head. Haven't bought a round but made plenty and had plenty.

Honestly, it was just generally being ready to not leave the house for a couple weeks. Had TP and food. About the only thing lacking was only two days or so of fresh fruit and veg as we normally stop at a store twice a week to get stuff for the kid.

Had a bunch of N95 masks at each house but I gave them to family, doctor and nurse, who need the rating more than I do. Have been using bandanas with a section of HEPA vacuum cleaner bag in the middle. More comfortable than the manufactured masks in all honesty. Was them every so often and replace the vacuum bag piece. Since I really only go into a store about once a week to get produce, I am not too worried. Take the kid for a walk twice a day, but the streets are pretty empty.

I have a few hundred nitrile gloves, but so far have not used them. Wearing them the whole time you shop doesn't really protect you that much, I just use hand sanitizer when I get back to the car and wash my hands when I get home.

So far I have not needed any firearms related stuff, but am well supplied if I do. Also not needed the water filtration and have used some frozen and canned food but not touched any of the freeze dried stuff.

I recently topped off the oil in the lamps as we had used them a bit over the winter, but doubt they will be needed. Also changed batteries in everything, but I do that when the clock change regardless.

Did have two thermometers die, not just batteries, but how many of those are you going to keep around? Got a mercury one along with two more electronic. I like the electronic as they give a reading faster and are easier to read.

N95 masks are useful, don't get me wrong, but last summer I started baking bread, and that has paid off so much more than masks.

Just like anything else, you have to put in the reps. I'm glad that I did it all last year so that I don't have to screw around and waste food now that it's a little harder to come by.

On a serious note, ammo and TP. I have plenty of both and they are nearly impossible to obtain as of today. Wish I had more masks.

None of my preps, sans a chest freezer we've always had.

It was my wifes germophobia. We still have a fair amount of wipes, cleaners, hand sanitizers etc.

So far I have found that just the fact that I stock up on daily use items has been very helpful. When I shop, I get 3 tubes of toothpaste instead of one. 2 cases of TP instead of a 6 pack, etc. this has saved me from needing to fight the hordes.

I also loaded up my Kindle Paperwhite with books a while back and am finally getting to dive into them.

In January just before everything went nuts I decided to buy 3 months worth of emergency food supplies. If I have to stay in place for 3 months I'm good. I didn't buy it because I knew we would be where we are today because honestly I was clueless to the onslaught. I bought it because I felt it was something I've always wanted to have in the house.

Truthfully I've lucked out, and it's nothing but pure luck that last year between November and Christmas when all the crazy sales were going on for ammo I stocked up so I'm good. I bought a vintage turntable last year and wanted extra isopropyl alcohol in the house to clean records. Just crap luck. Last weekend I mixed up a big batch of hand sanitizer and recycled old soap dispensers to be hand sanitizer dispensers. I figure I can make sanitizer for a good year before I run out of supplies.

Where I did screw up is not having any masks. I do have many doubts as to the effectiveness of masks. They don't essentially protect me as much as they protect everyone else from me if I am infected and don't know it.

If people are still hoarding toilet paper, then it's just a waiting game for them to kick the bucket so that everyone else can have some toilet paper. I did manage to actually buy one fo those giant TP bundle packs on a sh*t luck trip to the store, so as far as TP I am good for a while.

One thing I've always wanted in my house is a comprehensive medical pack and there are several options from giant backpacks of bandaids, to backpacks with vital medications that are legally prescribed and included in a bug out situation. I haven't made a decision but at some point I'll get something.

For me, keeping gallons of water around the house. Had a well water pump shit out on me. Thankfully, the stored water allowed me to take military showers, brush teeth, hydrate, etc. I have water filtration for camping, but that's on a small scale.

Back
Top Bottom