Surprised he wasn’t charged with NFA violation

Or at least whether it was referred to the AFT

36FDE36C-3C4D-4F45-8982-115B51F49BBC.jpeg

TROOPERS ARREST REPEAT FIREARMS OFFENDER WITH FIREARM

At approximately 1030 a.m. yesterday, Trooper Jeffrey Lang, assigned to State Police-Weston, was conducting speed enforcement on Route 90 eastbound in Framingham. At that time he observed a brown Kia sedan pass his location traveling at a speed of approximately 85 miles per hour. He entered traffic then caught up to the Kia, activated his cruiser’s blue lights, and stopped it at the 119 mile marker in Natick.

Upon the vehicle coming to a full stop, Trooper Lang approached it and informed the operator why he was being stopped. The operator, eventually identified as ROBERT CEPHAS, 30, of Webster, informed the Trooper he did not have a driver’s license on him and provided his information verbally. After returning to his cruiser, Trooper Lang conducted an electronic RMV inquiry multiple ways using the information the vehicle’s operator provided him, but was unable to find a match. Trooper Lang was eventually able to locate a record showing a suspended driver’s license and multiple felony arrest warrants, then was able to confirm and match the operator’s identity as CEPHAS using the RMV photo. Additional Troopers then arrived on scene to assist.

CEPHAS was removed from his vehicle and placed under arrest. Prior to the vehicle being towed from the scene, Troopers conducted an inventory of its contents. They located a loaded .22 caliber Taurus pistol, CEPHAS does not possess a license to carry firearms.

CEPHAS was transported to State Police-Weston for booking. A bail commissioner was contacted and set bail at $150,000. He was held pending his arraignment at Natick District Court on the following charges:

1. Illegal Possession of a Firearm, Second Offense;
2. Possession of a Firearm with Prior Violent/Drug Crime;
3. Carrying a Loaded Firearm;
4. Possession of Firearm Silencer;
5. Possession of Ammunition without FID Card;
6. Operating a Motor Vehicle with a Suspended License, Subsequent Offense; and
7. Following Too Close to Motor Vehicle.

prohibited person in possession and an unregistered suppressor might get him fed time he’s an easy plea deal case. He’s F’d.

If you're breaking one law, try not to break another in the process. I mean, it's criminal 101. Carrying a gun as a felon? Don't drive 85! Seems simple.

I recall reading/watching something recently where drug smugglers with zero records would admit readily to speeding when the officer came up to just get the ticket and go - with 100's of 1000's of blow in the trunk of the car.

Of course that would fail with this guy because HE DIDN'T HAVE A DL EITHER!

prohibited person in possession and an unregistered suppressor might get him fed time he’s an easy plea deal case. He’s F’d.

Meh, then we find out 8 years from now that the cop was really crooked, planted the gun, the whole thing was a frame up over not sharing some drug money. The guy gets out of prison, comes here and asks about getting an LTC and we all collectively go "Where you been all my life?".

If you're breaking one law, try not to break another in the process. I mean, it's criminal 101. Carrying a gun as a felon? Don't drive 85! Seems simple.

I recall reading/watching something recently where drug smugglers with zero records would admit readily to speeding when the officer came up to just get the ticket and go - with 100's of 1000's of blow in the trunk of the car.

Agree.....
Like if you're driving drunk, at least drive the speed limit, dumbass.
:rolleyes:;)

a few years ago, I was heading up thru NY on 87 north to Montreal on my bike and was pulled over going 5mhp over the limit.
I had a fully packed backpack for the trip and was told 87 was a major drug smuggling route and he thought I was a mule running drugs across the border.

My point is you don't even have to break laws to get pulled over.

a few years ago, I was heading up thru NY on 87 north to Montreal on my bike and was pulled over going 5mhp over the limit.
I had a fully packed backpack for the trip and was told 87 was a major drug smuggling route and he thought I was a mule running drugs across the border.

My point is you don't even have to break laws to get pulled over.
umm...you did break the law.

well, if you go the speed limit on 87 you will get killed
I've been there. I hear you.

Nevertheless, you were speeding. He was able to pull you over for speeding because you did, in fact, break the law.

None of this changes that he can pull you over for just about anything, e.g., your full backpack. It's just to say that your example doesn't support your position.

the pistol was after all, a taurus. the cop was doing him a solid figuring the ridicule he was going to get was enough. no need to pile it on knee deep. guys who commit crimes using a taurus pistol are harassed mercilessly in prison.
My Taurus TX22 is one of my favorite pistols to shoot. Super reliable and the trigger is like 4lbs

They typically have two vehicles, one vehicle has the load, and the other vehicle is totally clean.

They hire ordinary people with clean records to drive. The vehicle with the load leads the way and the clean vehicle stays a ways back.

If the first vehicle with the load gets pulled over the second vehicle comes up and does something crazy like a drunk driver would (goes on and off the road, buzzes the cop, anything to appear dangerous and out of control). At that point usually the cop will leave the first car and start pursuit of the second car instead. I say “usually”

Wasn't there case law saying prohibited people can't be charged with NFA as applying for a stamp is self incriminating?

NFW. Guys got at least 18 month coming.

People on NES get confused, these guys are convicted and do time. They just get out and act a fool again and again until they get a big enough sentence to take them off the street for good.
I was being facetious

I don't know if it specifically covered NFA items, but there was a case where SCOTUS ruled that charging a felon for not registering a pistol that he was prohibited from having was unConstitutional. I think that was from the early 1980s. Someone mentioned it on a different forum just the other day.

Wasn't there case law saying prohibited people can't be charged with NFA as applying for a stamp is self incriminating?

Nah, too busy stringing up people for misspellings on a 4473.
Half my 4473's I write Hamden or Hampton instead of Hampden in the county box because I can never remember what's correct. How long until I need to get a dog?

Back
Top Bottom