surplus

whats the oldest surplus that you hve shot? Curious as i just got some more, but is quite older

Ammo? I've shot .45 acp that said it was loaded in the 1920's on the boxes. I've heard of stuff loaded in the teens shooting quite well but I've never had any personally.

thanks. I did not really have much of a concern, especially the way it is stored, but curious what others have seen. Shot some from 70s and I couldnt tell.

I shoot some 1940s stuff, and tons of 1950s. Wouldn't hesitate to go back to the 20s-30s.

About the same for me.
A coworker had some 30-06 that was marked from 1919. He shot a couple from a partial box and held the full boxes. He also had some .45-70 that he had no idea how old it was. My coworker retired last year (to give you an idea on age) and this ammo came from his grandfather, he remembered it sitting around when he was a kid visiting grandpa.

I shot 5 rds of pre 1900 45-70. 3 went off. I have about 30 .45ACP rds dated 1911. I want to shoot a couple just to see. I regularly shoot stuff from the 30s-50s.

I was just preparing .45 acp cases to reload and my primer pocket cleaner wouldn't fit into the primer pocket. Turned the case over and it's marked REM-UMC on top and below are the numbers 17. Nah, this can't be a piece of military brass from 1917, ya think? I'll see if I can grap a photo and put it up later.

I've come across a lot of 1917 .45 ACP, but it wasn't REM-UMC. It was one of the arsenal headstamps, but I don't recall which ones at the moment. I have some 1914 as well, but much fewer. I've shot some of it, but ignition was faulty on a few of them. It's not ammo I'd use in a match or for personal defense use, unless it was the last few rounds available.

Not really that old, but I just bought some HXP 30.06 surplus... mostly 1977, 1978 vintages, but a few 64, 66, 71, and 74. All have shot fine so far with the exception of one '64 dud.

NavelOfficer:2374555 said:
I've come across a lot of 1917 .45 ACP, but it wasn't REM-UMC. It was one of the arsenal headstamps, but I don't recall which ones at the moment. I have some 1914 as well, but much fewer. I've shot some of it, but ignition was faulty on a few of them. It's not ammo I'd use in a match or for personal defense use, unless it was the last few rounds available.

I noticed the primer flash hole is huge on this one piece, it's been reloaded before but I'm thinking it was a range pick up, maybe someone reamed it open. I prime with a hand tool and the primer wouldn't go in. Have you ever noticed oversize primer flash holes on the older stuff you've shot?

The flash holes do vary...whether by design or inconsistent manufacturing procedures.
I know Winchester has some very large flash-holed brass, presumably the forerunner to their Win Clean loads (so I was told once).
If you come across brass modified for X-ring rubber bullets, you may find enlarged flash holes, too.

Back
Top Bottom