• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Surplus Underground Missile Base For Sale In Arizona

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Only $400k!

Group buy ?

Maybe use it as the NES timeshare ???

It sits on 13 acres, plenty of room to build a slew of outdoor ranges.

Only $400k!

Group buy ?

You obviously haven't checked out the google maps for the area, there's already (double checks...) 2 ranges setup by the National Guard nearby.

Edit, Google search of the address point to something completely different. The correct coordinates are 32.652493, -111.028565

32°39'09.0"N 111°01'42.8"W

Also, no utilities of any kind, so bring your surplus GenSet with you

Last edited:
You obviously haven't checked out the google maps for the area, there's already (double checks...) 2 ranges setup by the National Guard nearby.

Even better!
The .50 cal guys will love it!

Also, no utilities of any kind, so bring your surplus GenSet with you

No problem.
I'm sure many of us already keep them handy for those EOTW situations anyway.

Better check the seller's lead paint declaration and have some testing done before you buy.

Also have to figure out how the complex deals with sewage.

Asbestos and a ton of other harmful stuff too. Looks dry as a bone at the bottom though. I wonder how much deeper you'd have to go to hit water?

Dannng... maybe the house deal i was trying to buy here in AZ for 400k fell through for a reason.

60 Minutes did a segment on a large former site that's now used for high value antique car storage.

I'm in on a private group buy. Too many Negative Nancys here.
[wink][grin]
There's power at the main road, not far away.
Water and sewer are just holes in the ground. It was there 30 years ago, so there's an existence proof.
Lead and asbestos ain't nothing that a case or two of Tyvek suits, several good respirators, a couple of months of dustless high-pressure sandblasting, paintguns, several hundred gallons of Rustoleum, and a good waste disposal company can't fix.
Not enough land for long-range riflery, but should be good for a few nice 15-200 yard ranges.
A little sweat equity and it could be a really good place.

I'm in on a private group buy. Too many Negative Nancys here.
[wink][grin]
There's power at the main road, not far away.
Water and sewer are just holes in the ground. It was there 30 years ago, so there's an existence proof.
Lead and asbestos ain't nothing that a case or two of Tyvek suits, several good respirators, a couple of months of dustless high-pressure sandblasting, paintguns, several hundred gallons of Rustoleum, and a good waste disposal company can't fix.
Not enough land for long-range riflery, but should be good for a few nice 15-200 yard ranges.
A little sweat equity and it could be a really good place.

Without volunteering to organize the effort, if such a group buy were to come about, I'd be interested. But the general idea has been floated several times, once to the extent of meetings and property searches. It always falls apart.

Were I to win the Powerball* I would buy it and turn it into a museum. I'd want the snowflakes to see it: this is the reality anyone over the age of 40-ish grew up with. Titan II is an Intercontinental Ballistic Missile. It carried nuclear warheads. It was housed in an underground silo, with a crew - also housed underground - prepared to send it to wipe out millions of people on the other side of the planet, who were likewise sitting in wait to send missiles to wipe out us. That was our reality growing up. It could happen at any time. It almost did, a couple.

Fortunately, we had guys like:
ronald_reagan_1986.jpg

so cooler heads prevailed.

Just imagine similar circumstances with:
bernie.jpg

or:
Alexandria.jpg

or:
maxresdefault.jpg

* Doubtful since I don't play the Powerball.

I met a guy at a work site that had his own bunker and everything to go with it. During an enthusiastic conversation with him and a couple of observers I mentioned that if the SHTF all his buds were going to his bunker and crazy glue all the locks! He went silent for about 20 seconds with everyone looking at him, had absolutely no response, and walked away. We then laughed our asses off.

A couple of tubes of crazy glue can lock you in or out of one of these sites.

Only $400k!

Group buy ?

actually, 13 acres is not much for a range. My brother had 75 acres, and he had to carefully position it to avoid neighbors who would have been in the line of fire, albeit far away. It would help if there were a bowl shaped depression to some of the property, to act as a natural berm.

as i recall, those missiles had some pretty toxic rocket fuel in them. Is the site guaranteed to be free of such nastiness??? Perchlorate contamination for one.

also:
“Our servicemen maintained these missile sites by using vast amounts of trichloroethylene or TCE to clean rocket fuel lines.

“These soldiers had no idea that decades later, that practice would create a serious negative environmental legacy.

“Today, there is groundwater contamination from the TCE."

Last edited:
as i recall, those missiles had some pretty toxic rocket fuel in them. Is the site guaranteed to be free of such nastiness??? Perchlorate contamination for one.

also:
“Our servicemen maintained these missile sites by using vast amounts of trichloroethylene or TCE to clean rocket fuel lines.

“These soldiers had no idea that decades later, that practice would create a serious negative environmental legacy.

“Today, there is groundwater contamination from the TCE."

Those sites are full of TCE, fuel related contaminants, lead paint, and asbestos which in the confined closed quarters isn't great. Ground water and radon infiltration is also sometimes a problem. It's why the facilities are so cheap despite costing millions to build. The clean up to make them safely habitable is many times over the cost of the base itself.

Back
Top Bottom