Surplus Anterless Tags

I don't shoot the does. They carry next spring's fawns.
Same here. Unless they are in very overpopulated area.....and very "easy" to shoot. Meaning it would take 1 or 2 hunts to fill a tag.

Yet I know guys in this state that go years without filling a doe tag with some hard hunting. Now you have to question whether you should be shooting them at all.

Same here. Unless they are in very overpopulated area.....and very "easy" to shoot. Meaning it would take 1 or 2 hunts to fill a tag.

Yet I know guys in this state that go years without filling a doe tag with some hard hunting. Now you have to question whether you should be shooting them at all.
Zone 9 eastward there are plenty but as my cams over the last year have proven, there are not too many westward. And I run 10 cams on 25 acres in Zone 5 as you well know. No doe for me in this area.

Exactly why in zones 10 to 14 they authorize so many tags.....the management plan is to reduce the population.
I understand this well. I hunt urban CT. But there I kill a doe with archery equipment on a one day sit or less. Its easy, access is the hard part. If your not able to do that I question whether the insurance companies are running the show or not.
But zones 1-8 should be zero doe permits given the herd is low, available land high, hunting pressure high, and coyote and bear predation high. Guys see a few deer and think its all good….LOL. Most of them kill the one deer they see. What a joke. In PA I see 20 a sit.

I think you guys should hunt other states like NY or PA to see what a herd is like. One buck tag with antler restrictions. Limited doe tags. Deer all over the place even on public land. MA is a management joke.

I checked today and the only 2 zones left were Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket lol.
Your way late for inland hhnting zones.
Guys here love to buy all the tags they can and usually any extras for zones 9-12 are bought up the same day. Many times by people in zones 1-8 even though they dont hunt 9-12.
No one wants to buy island zones because you cant shoot a doe in zone 5 then claim you shot it on nantucket.

Your way late for inland hhnting zones.
Guys here love to buy all the tags they can and usually any extras for zones 9-12 are bought up the same day. Many times by people in zones 1-8 even though they dont hunt 9-12.
No one wants to buy island zones because you cant shoot a doe in zone 5 then claim you shot it on nantucket.
I'm surprised there's even any land left undeveloped on those islands to even shoot a deer. Property values are so high figure there'd be nowhere that's less than 500ft from a house

There are certain landowners on those islands and golf courses that will let you hunt. Not easy to gain access and a lot of anti's as well. Also, its all scrub oak, tough to treestand there.

One of my buddies did the Nantucket hunt they had years back and said it was the stupidest thing he ever did. He ended up paying like a grand for 4 days, with lodging, food, and ferrying his truck over. Ended up shooting like 2 little does, now this was with a shotgun....said he crawled thru the thickest tick infested crap he'd ever dealt with. He said never again, as he hunted urban CT, and its way easier there even with bow only, and way better hunting, and WAY cheaper.

Ahhh yes. The infamous any zone tags.; and they wonder why the population out here isn’t bouncing back.

Bob

Its really a tough thing. Even if they outlawed all doe hunting in the central/west people would still try and kill does here and use tags from the east. Though it would make it easier to nail someone who's taking one out. If there's no does allowed there's no questions on if you have a permit or not.

There are several groups of guys that do shotgun push hunts around my area that get all their "tags" together go in, push and just shoot whatever's brown, not caring who shoots what, or whatever. Then tag it with whatever surplus zone tag they bought online Certainly not a zone 5.....as most of the guys don't get a Zone 5.

Last edited:
I'm surprised there's even any land left undeveloped on those islands to even shoot a deer. Property values are so high figure there'd be nowhere that's less than 500ft from a house
Look up the Nantucket land bank and look who funds it.

Its really a tough thing. Even if they outlawed all doe hunting in the central/west people would still try and kill does here and use tags from the east. Though it would make it easier to nail someone who's taking one out. If there's no does allowed there's no questions on if you have a permit or not.

There are several groups of guys that do shotgun push hunts around my area that get all their "tags" together go in, push and just shoot whatever's brown, not caring who shoots what, or whatever. Then tag it with whatever surplus zone tag they bought online Certainly not a zone 5.....as most of the guys don't get a Zone 5.
And these guys will be the first to complain about no bucks and lack of deer. Not a huge fan of driving deer but I know it works and is legal . Just not my thing but poaching pisses me off and guys tagging deer out in zone 2 with tags for zone 10 is no good and the EPO don’t do much about it.

And these guys will be the first to complain about no bucks and lack of deer. Not a huge fan of driving deer but I know it works and is legal . Just not my thing but poaching pisses me off and guys tagging deer out in zone 2 with tags for zone 10 is no good and the EPO don’t do much about it.
Sad but true.

With the current tag system it is hard to catch them unless they do something really stupid.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom