Surgery prep - what to do with the armory? JIC

SteelShooter

NES Member
I go in for surgery next week on a broken heel. Being the doom and gloom prepper I'm concerned if the worst happens what happens to all my weapons and ammo? I don't have anyone in the family licensed in MA, most live in NH. The last thing I want is for my wife to get jammed up by some legal eagle looking for a headline.
If I don't come down for breakfast, what does she do? Can I proactively move them to NH to a relative? Anyone have any real world experience with this situation?

While it's always good to have a plan in place, provided you don't have some pre-existing life threatening condition, your risk of dying from the surgery is (much) lower than your risk of dying in a car accident on the way to the hospital.

I have a close friend who I've briefed to come and take it all. My wife knows if I croak she should call him. I'm not sure which she's looking forward to more, me gone or the firearms gone. [smile]

Not to be a dick, but why does your wife not have an LTC? She does realize that she's potentially in a heap of legal trouble if you die and she suddenly comes into possession of a bunch of guns and doesn't have an LTC, right? Anyway, you probably won't die from foot surgery, so you'll probably have plenty more time to convince your wife that its a good, pragmatic idea for her to get licensed, even if she doesn't like guns.

Last edited:
She does realize that she's potentially in a heap of legal trouble if you die and she suddenly comes into possession of a bunch of guns and doesn't have an LTC, right?
Nope:
(n) The transfer of a firearm, rifle or shotgun upon the death of an owner to his heir or legatee shall be subject to the provisions of this section, provided that said heir or legatee shall within one hundred and eighty days of such transfer, obtain a firearm identification card or a license to carry firearms if not otherwise an exempt person who is qualified to receive such or apply to the licensing authority for such further limited period as may be necessary for the disposition of such firearm, rifle or shotgun;

Don't worry about the heel operation - worst case if things go retrograde is they cut off the foot, or maybe the leg [rofl]

Last edited:
Not to be a dick, but why does your wife not have an LTC? She does realize that she's potentially in a heap of legal trouble if you die and she suddenly comes into possession of a bunch of guns and doesn't have an LTC, right? Anyway, you probably won't die from foot surgery, so you'll probably have plenty more time to convince your wife that its a good, pragmatic idea for her to get licensed, even if she doesn't like guns.

She had her license but it expired last year. She just refreshed at MFS but hasn't submitted the paperwork yet, that will be remedied this week.

- - - Updated - - -

Assuming that your wife is your heir, she has at least 180 days to get a firearms license or sell/give away the guns, according to MGL ch. 140 sec. 129C. Don't worry about it. Good luck with your heel.

Thanks, I did not know that. One less thing to worry about.

/close thread

Last edited:
Write down the name and phone number for your trusted FFL. They can come and take the firearms from her and liquidate them at her direction if she doesn't want to keep them.

Think good thoughts. What is the next piece on your list? Pistol? Rifle? Good luck, ~Matt

She had her license but it expired last year.
If she has not been denied a renewal, or become a prohibited person, she enjoys a lifetime of protection from criminal conviction. Possession on an expired LTC is a civil violation only - though if you expire, she will be covered by the heir exemption.

My wife has instructions to contact 2 friends to come over for their pick of the litter. 1 have 1 rifle that is not to be given away It's to be sold at a set price and no lower. Hard to come by as the last I heard there's at least a 2 year waiting list.

Assuming that your wife is your heir, she has at least 180 days to get a firearms license or sell/give away the guns, according to MGL ch. 140 sec. 129C. Don't worry about it. Good luck with your heel.

Partially and substantially wrong.

She does realize that she's potentially in a heap of legal trouble if you die and she suddenly comes into possession of a bunch of guns and doesn't have an LTC, right?

Absolutely wrong!

Don't worry about the heel operation - worst case if things go retrograde is they cut off the foot, or maybe the leg [rofl]

Always the optimist Rob! [rofl]

This is not from date of death but settlement of estate.

Correct. Nice to see someone paying attention.

I go in for surgery next week on a broken heel. Being the doom and gloom prepper I'm concerned if the worst happens what happens to all my weapons and ammo? I don't have anyone in the family licensed in MA, most live in NH. The last thing I want is for my wife to get jammed up by some legal eagle looking for a headline.
If I don't come down for breakfast, what does she do? Can I proactively move them to NH to a relative? Anyone have any real world experience with this situation?

If you are worried about this for surgery, shouldn't you have this set out in a will? What if your parachute did not open, or you got caught in the gears of a combine? Both of which could happen any day, any time. All my immediate family are non-gun or anti-gun, so I specifically dictated in a will what would happen to my guns so they would not go to some buyback or worse.

I would:

Is possible: move the guns to your buddy's house in NH.

If not possible: have your wife start the process to get an LTC, and leave your guns locked. There are qualified members here thst could give her a class and you can submit the paperwork to the PD before your surgery. If anything happens to you, she can take over the guns legally in a few weeks.

I will give you some friendly advice.......DO NOT TRUST A MASKED WITH A KNIFE.... that said good luck and do not worry too much it is a simple procedure.

bob [smile]

Last edited:
I broke my ankle back in the early 90's. Last summer I was having some issues and it was determined that the screws loosened up and one worked its way through the back of my tibia. So I had to have them removed. It was no big deal. I took a cab to the hospital and the wife picked me up after it was done. Same thing when I tore my biceps tendon. That one sucked though. They had to dig through up to my shoulder to find the tendon. That freakin hurt for a while after. Double hernia....same thing. And out of all those times I didn't die. So don't worry about that. Like others mentioned...just get your will done soon. Then when these things sneak up on you there is nothing to worry about.

Its gotta be exhausting worrying this much.

Pro Tip: If your talking about whats gonna happen to your stuff when you die, I got a secret... you won't care :)

The last angioplasty and 4 day hospital stay was nothing compared to the ****ing flu virus I caught while I was there, it reared it's ugly head the day I came home.

She had 180 days to get her license.

Back
Top Bottom