• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Surefire: WARDEN Direct-Thread Blast Regulator

Reptile

NES Member
A direct-thread version of the best-selling Fast-Attach® Warden Blast Regulator we designed for use with SureFire 5.56 mm and 7.62 mm muzzle devices, the SureFire Warden direct-thread blast regulator is precision-machined of rugged stainless steel, heat treated and coated with a durable Cerakote™ finish. The Warden enhances the refined appearance of any weapon with a 1/2-28 or 5/8-24 threaded barrel, protecting the barrel’s exposed threads from damage or fouling in lieu of a flash hider or muzzle brake. Its diffuser design directs the muzzle blast forward when the weapon is fired. Measuring just 3.0 inches in length, the Warden adds a mere 6.1 ounces to the weight of the weapon, minimizing any effect on weapon handling characteristics. Unlike our award-winning sound suppressors, the Warden is not an NFA device and is available wherever SureFire products are sold, without any of the restrictions associated with suppressors.

SureFire Warden Direct Thread Blast Regulator

Looks nice.

Mass legal?

I can think of ten other more useful shooting related things to better spend my money on right off the top of my head.

Not a flash hider, so yes.

I think they look cool, but in theory would cause more muzzle flip directing all the gases forward, rather that to the side.

What is the difference between this and any other linear compensator?

Yes, exactly. I have a number of linear comps, and I think they are the best for noise redirection forward and no annoying side blast, which I especially like on my bullpup. It is a good looking compensator, but this is ridiculous marketing;
  • Not an NFA device, the Warden can be purchased without any of the restrictions associated with suppressors"
And kind of stupid if you ask me as they are indicating that it is like a suppressor, but it isn't wink, nod. But it really is NOT a suppressor. I wouldn't want to link an NFA device to my NON NFA device under any circumstances on a marketing brochure.

And $180! I guess the price explains the marketing Hype about "purchasing without any of the restrictions associated with suppressors"

My Levang linear compensators, while aren't beautiful, where $21, and they work incredibly well.

You would also need to use Surefire's muzzle device that accepts the Warden. So it'll end up being a $300+ combo. Probably does the same job as a $20 Kak flash can or $40 Kaw VAlley linear comp. The cool factor of the Warden may be worth it though. Ferfrans, Griffen, and Fortis has similar options and appearances.

Shooting my SIG556 SBR, the blast was rough for me and worse for my neighbors, so I just sent for a SureFire Warden Direct Thread blast shield. Let the fireballs fly!

Last time I checked, EBay was full of muzzle brakes with screw on blast forwarders for short money. I strongly doubt the Surefire will do something differently than these things, except making your wallet substantially lighter.

Wast of money looks stupid and would be very hard to pin and weld. Also why would anyone pa $180.00 for something that is Cerakoted when there are a number of other products that do the same thing. Unless you just want to brag and do show and tell. Firearms are utilitarian tools.

Wast of money looks stupid and would be very hard to pin and weld. Also why would anyone pa $180.00 for something that is Cerakoted when there are a number of other products that do the same thing. Unless you just want to brag and do show and tell. Firearms are utilitarian tools.

Pin & Weld? You must be from MA - sorry to hear that…

Pay $180? Nope, I paid <$100 delivered, with points and coupons

Utilitarian? Like I said, the concussive blast from a SIG556 SBR w/FH is very nasty, even plugged & muffed. The last time I had it in a shoot-house exercise, the unanimous vote was I not come back without a blast shield.

I’m looking for plans to make such devices on my lathe & mill and figured better to copy a marketed non-NFA device.

Pin & Weld? You must be from MA - sorry to hear that…

Pay $180? Nope, I paid <$100 delivered, with points and coupons

Utilitarian? Like I said, the concussive blast from a SIG556 SBR w/FH is very nasty, even plugged & muffed. The last time I had it in a shoot-house exercise, the unanimous vote was I not come back without a blast shield.

I’m looking for plans to make such devices on my lathe & mill and figured better to copy a marketed non-NFA device.
honest question - what's the difference between this and a linear comp?

Like, I understand the QD one if it's spinning onto a brake in place of a can. But for the direct thread version, why not go with one of these:
or

honest question - what's the difference between this and a linear comp?

Like, I understand the QD one if it's spinning onto a brake in place of a can. But for the direct thread version, why not go with one of these:
or

And a good question at that!

The volume of a Blast Shield is greater than a Linear Compensator, so more of that (1/r^2) sound dissipation occurs axially within a Blast Shield, even if the linear distance is about the same (~3in). But these devices aren’t sound “suppressors” - they just change the sound density and direction…where it’s louder than hell.

WRT recoil, the forward gas emits over a larger area in a Blast Shield. Maybe less reduction in muzzle rise? For 556, not much of an issue vs 30cal+.

In short, I probably could have gotten a Linear Compensator, but the guys would have said “Didn’t we say not to come back without a Blast Shield?” 😉

Back
Top Bottom