• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Surefire Making Magazines?

Duxprep

NES Member
Gee I wonder if these new magazines will be mass compliant? [shocked]

http://www.defensereview.com/dr-exc...60-and-mag5-100-high-capacity-magazines-hcms/

By David Crane
defrev (at) gmail (dot) com

December 3, 2010
Updated on 12/06/10

Since DefenseReview (DR) has been covering polymer AR magazines in our previous two stories, it’s only fair that we publish one on some very cool enhanced-capacity metal mags (aluminum mags)–and this one’s a biggie, folks. O.k., he’re we go: SureFire is getting into the tactical rifle magazine game with a vengeance; They’ll be debuting two very-high-capacity, expendable 4179 STANAG aluminum AR mags (AR-15/M16 rifle magazines) at SHOT Show 2011. One is a 60-shot (60-round) box mag called the MAG5-60 HCM, and the other is a 100-shot (100-round) box mag called the MAG5-100 HCM. “HCM” stands for “High Capacity Magazine”

SureFire_MAG5-100_HCM_High_Capacity_Magazine_100-Shot_AR-15_M16_Box_Magazine_1.jpg

The 60 seems kind of interesting, (assuming its reliable) anything beyond that is probably going to be stupid heavy.

-Mike

The 100 round mag weighs 3.3 lbs loaded and you can't go prone. If more people in the squad should have SAWs, why not just issue them SAWs?

The real reason the 100 was made was so people could use it for appliance or pumpkin hunting. [rofl]

-Mike

For all those that thought a BETA-C was just too damn inexpensive... I can't imagine what a company like SUREFIRE is going to charge for these.
I hope they will at least toss in a flash light with the purchase..

2sec is 2sec. Reloading is a valuable skill, but given the choice. I'll take the extra rounds.

How many stages do you see where a 48 round PMag isn't enough to let you reload on the move somewhere so it doesn't really cost you the full 2 sec? Even shooting 30 rounders, it's pretty rare to not have at least several steps to reload somewhere in local matches I've shot at least.

How many stages do you see where a 48 round PMag isn't enough to let you reload on the move somewhere so it doesn't really cost you the full 2 sec? Even shooting 30 rounders, it's pretty rare to not have at least several steps to reload somewhere in local matches I've shot at least.

every stage that is over 30 rounds will cost you time. You lose time reloading on the move, especially with a rifle.

every stage that is over 30 rounds will cost you time. You lose time reloading on the move, especially with a rifle.

I don't have much reloading practice on the rifle, so reloads definitely cost me plenty of time time. I don't think reloads on the move cost me much at all with the pistol, though I really need to put it on the timer to know for sure. I can see how it's much harder to get to that point with a rifle.

If you don't have to reload, you can't screw it up!
By the way, word is, that those mags worked just fine at Fort Benning last weekend.

If you don't have to reload, you can't screw it up!

Good point. Though it also depends on the reliability of the big mag vs the chances you'll biff a reload. I'm stuck with 30s in MA, though if I start traveling I'm at least getting a 48 round pmag or two to keep in a free state. I'll let some other people test these out before I pony up the cash.

I was surprised at the NB rifle match how many people, including some solid pistol shooters, failed to plan their reloads with the rifle. I saw way more standing reloads on a locked open bolt than I've ever seen in a pistol match.

I don't have much reloading practice on the rifle, so reloads definitely cost me plenty of time time. I don't think reloads on the move cost me much at all with the pistol, though I really need to put it on the timer to know for sure. I can see how it's much harder to get to that point with a rifle.

Oh It does, put it on your timer and see. This reload along cost about 2 tenths and its pretty solid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hznj-1aHyqM

Back
Top Bottom