• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Supreme Court schedules Friday Conference.

what does it mean when the court relists a case? does that mean they are going to consider hearing it or that they have decided to hear it?

what does it mean when the court relists a case? does that mean they are going to consider hearing it or that they have decided to hear it?
It is listed for consideration. Last time they passed over all of them but none were denied. This means any or all of them could be selected for hearing. Most likely there's some horse trading going on...

It is listed for consideration. Last time they passed over all of them but none were denied. This means any or all of them could be selected for hearing. Most likely there's some horse trading going on...
If, by "horse trading", you mean Bloomberg is spending tons of money and peddling influence to make backroom deals, most likely.

If, by "horse trading", you mean Bloomberg is spending tons of money and peddling influence to make backroom deals, most likely.
Maybe.
I have no special information, but I expect there's a conversation to the effect of "we have to take something. What is going to result in a decision that actually provides guidance to the lower courts without also causing a collapse of trust in the 'least dangerous branch' and the government as a whole? "

Have a little faith. Easier said than done, but at least this pandemic panic is starting to open people's eyes to the absurdities of these laws. Many people, both anti's and those who have neither been 2A friends or enemies have suddenly jumped on board to getting a gun "for protection" and are finding just how hard it is to get one, let alone how to understand the existing laws. Trying to be optimistic I guess...

Now is the best time for them to take this burden on. News media is still frenzied about the pandemic. No new school shootings to posion the emails to the court.

I think they will take on either the California case, or the NJ case about extending self defence outside the home.

I wish they would take the state commerce one. That would possibly be a hallmark. There are far fewer landmines in it for them, too.

Notice also, I haven't heard anyone yapping about the 57 genders in months!

Which reminds me. I need to get more ammo.

I think they will take on either the California case, or the NJ case about extending self defence outside the home.

I'm selfish and want them to take on the MA cases (Gould for CCW and Worman for so-called assault weapons) because they both impact me personally, particularly the former. I'm not sure for the matter of CCW, if Gould or one of the several NJ cases is stronger or has a better chance, if selected.

Which regime of CCW licenses is a bigger infringement? I say MA, because it is very obvious that it is unfair and arbitrary. 90% get to CCW but 10% don't, almost purely because of geographical location. But NJ seems to apply the same principle as the minority of MA towns--requiring a "special need." It's just that NJ applies that to the entire state.

SCOTUS gave MA a good bitchslapping when it ruled on Caetano so I'd love to see it again with Gould.

Now is the best time for them to take this burden on. News media is still frenzied about the pandemic. No new school shootings to posion the emails to the court.

I wish they would take the state commerce one. That would possibly be a hallmark. There are far fewer landmines in it for them, too.

Notice also, I haven't heard anyone yapping about the 57 genders in months!

Which reminds me. I need to get more ammo.
Is that the one that challenges restriction of sales to out of staters? That one really doesn't make any sense (the restriction) at least at an FFL. They all use the NICS to do a background check on sales at dealers. My background check isn't going to show differently in a state I don't live in than in TX. FFLs can and already have guidance on what they are allowed to sell to residents of other states. Like NH dealers selling rifles/shotguns to MA residents. This guidance can include handguns as well.

Does all this get pushed off to the next Friday? Does that mean there is something to expect tomorrow?

Back
Top Bottom