• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Supreme Court - NYSRPA v. Bruen - Megathread

But this is what so many of us have been telling you. Courts ALWAYS affect you. It’s far more important to understand the judicial structure in this country than the legislative structure, IMO, and it’s easy to learn.

And post NYSRPA there is going to be A LOT of court activity. SAF founder Gottlieb was on a podcast a month ago and he said his group alone is involved in over 40 current lawsuits with more to come. Add in FPC, GOA, NRA state California 2A groups, etc.

We’ll see a lot of movement on restoring 2A rights in the next few years

But this is what so many of us have been telling you. Courts ALWAYS affect you. It’s far more important to understand the judicial structure in this country than the legislative structure, IMO, and it’s easy to learn.
Someone up above here just said the opposite of this.

"Antonyuk is not the only ongoing case dealing with sensitive places. Angelo v. District of Columbia, currently pending in the federal district court in Washington, D.C., was filed on June 30 and involves a challenge by several permitholders to Washington D.C.’s designation of the Metro as a sensitive place where guns are banned (the law was passed in 2014, and went into effect the following year)...

As to the Metro specifically, the District seems more likely to succeed on its activities-based argument: that the Metro prohibition is sufficiently similar to “early American laws prohibiting the carrying of arms near parades and on trains” because such laws illustrate a historical tradition of prohibiting guns in areas of dense congregation or around official government activities. Specifically, the airport/airplane comparison seems apt, as those are also locations which simply did not exist at the time of the Founding but where few doubt that guns can be banned today...

The plaintiffs cite an 1803 observation by St. George Tucker that it was common for Americans to leave home armed with a rifle or musket. The District, on the other hand, relies on historical laws in the militia context as evidence that normal civilians did not commonly carry arms in public at the time. If judges are to evaluate modern gun regulations by reference to historical laws, there should presumably be some showing that people actually used guns in the manner contemplated during the Founding Era. If guns were not normally carried in certain public settings as a matter of custom, then what we today view as a lack of regulation may just be evidence that there was no need for government to regulate in that setting. The difficult question, of course, is how courts should resolve differing accounts of social custom that might exist in the historical record.
"
More

The anti-gun legal academics really have their shorts in a knot, especially over sensitive places. In their view, the commonality of historical analogs where guns are prohibited in some places where some people gather is sufficient to call any places where any people might gather sensitives places. They are truly freaking out that honest, law-abiding citizens with CCW licenses might legally carry guns where criminals do so every day.

"At the outset, Judge Suddaby made two observations about the Bruen test. He articulated a standard for judging historical laws under which “a historical statute cannot earn the title ‘analogue’ if it is clearly more distinguishable than it is similar to the thing to which it is compared.” Second, he stated that he would “generally . . . look[] to instances where there have been three or more . . . historical analogues (specifically, three or more historical analogues from states, given that such analogues from territories deserve less weight under NYSRPA . . .).” In other words, Judge Suddaby found that three historical laws is the relevant cutoff—anything less than three is an “aberration” or a “mere trend,” but adoption by a majority of states at the time is not required."

"The opinion uses an extremely narrow frame to evaluate potential analogues to locations on New York’s sensitive places list. Do historical laws banning guns in schools support a prohibition on guns in summer camps? No, the opinion says, without any analysis. May guns be banned on the subway and other modes of public transportation? No, because historical laws banning concealed carry often made explicit exceptions for travelers, as travel was considered dangerous. Are historical laws prohibiting guns at “public assemblies” sufficient to support a modern ban on guns in stadiums, performance venues, and concert halls? No, the judge says, because in his view “the term ‘public assembly’ appears somewhat like the term ‘popular assembly,’” which “appears to involve a focus on one’s constitutional rights.” Are historical laws banning guns on enclosed farms or plantations analogous to a modern law enacting a presumption that guns are prohibited in privately-owned businesses? No, because the historical laws did not apply to buildings, only farmland."

And post NYSRPA there is going to be A LOT of court activity. SAF founder Gottlieb was on a podcast a month ago and he said his group alone is involved in over 40 current lawsuits with more to come. Add in FPC, GOA, NRA state California 2A groups, etc.

We’ll see a lot of movement on restoring 2A rights in the next few years
Not going to hold my breath. They will pull the shit NY just did.
Until people can carry in all 50 states without permission. We will never have a true and honest 2A

Not going to hold my breath. They will pull the shit NY just did.
Until people can carry in all 50 states without permission. We will never have a true and honest 2A

I agree constitutional carry nationwide is the goal and obviously the elimination of the NFA, GCA of 68, etc

A federal judge just issue a temp restraining order against most of that NY bill, NY is appealing the TRO to the 2nd circuit today.

The AWB and mag limits will be ruled unconstitutional before January in CA by judge benetiz again, then we’ll see how the 9th will follow or not follow NYSRPA vs bruen. The Maryland AWB will probably be ruled unconstitutional by the 4th circuit early next year. An Obama judge issued a TRO on the AWB in Colorado saying it’s likely unconstitutional.

A key is to win the senate next month and stop biden from putting more liberals on the courts and to win the senate and WH in 2024 and fill the courts with more 2A judges. The need for good judges to uphold the NYSRPA case and the constitution is vita”.

The one exception, and this is what I think they've been hanging their hat on, was alcohol. Under prohibition, some was taken and destroyed without compensation. Admittedly, I don't have a lot of time to find the examples right now, but I'll force myself to find time over the weekend to re-search it...

Alcohol was/is a consumable. This is a durable good.
But more importantly, there was "due process of law" in the case of alcohol.
In fact it was an enormous amount of due process. Have you ever looked at what needs to happen for a constitutional amendment. More due process than even a normal law.
In the case of the bump stock ban, the ATF administratively reclassified something in a way that made it illegal. No due process.

Alcohol was/is a consumable. This is a durable good.
But more importantly, there was "due process of law" in the case of alcohol.
In fact it was an enormous amount of due process. Have you ever looked at what needs to happen for a constitutional amendment. More due process than even a normal law.
In the case of the bump stock ban, the ATF administratively reclassified something in a way that made it illegal. No due process.
I completely agree. Just saying that so far they've seemed to use that as an excuse. Until they're told they can't, I'd expect them to continue on that path.

More

The anti-gun legal academics really have their shorts in a knot, especially over sensitive places. In their view, the commonality of historical analogs where guns are prohibited in some places where some people gather is sufficient to call any places where any people might gather sensitives places. They are truly freaking out that honest, law-abiding citizens with CCW licenses might legally carry guns where criminals do so every day.

"At the outset, Judge Suddaby made two observations about the Bruen test. He articulated a standard for judging historical laws under which “a historical statute cannot earn the title ‘analogue’ if it is clearly more distinguishable than it is similar to the thing to which it is compared.” Second, he stated that he would “generally . . . look[] to instances where there have been three or more . . . historical analogues (specifically, three or more historical analogues from states, given that such analogues from territories deserve less weight under NYSRPA . . .).” In other words, Judge Suddaby found that three historical laws is the relevant cutoff—anything less than three is an “aberration” or a “mere trend,” but adoption by a majority of states at the time is not required."

"The opinion uses an extremely narrow frame to evaluate potential analogues to locations on New York’s sensitive places list. Do historical laws banning guns in schools support a prohibition on guns in summer camps? No, the opinion says, without any analysis. May guns be banned on the subway and other modes of public transportation? No, because historical laws banning concealed carry often made explicit exceptions for travelers, as travel was considered dangerous. Are historical laws prohibiting guns at “public assemblies” sufficient to support a modern ban on guns in stadiums, performance venues, and concert halls? No, the judge says, because in his view “the term ‘public assembly’ appears somewhat like the term ‘popular assembly,’” which “appears to involve a focus on one’s constitutional rights.” Are historical laws banning guns on enclosed farms or plantations analogous to a modern law enacting a presumption that guns are prohibited in privately-owned businesses? No, because the historical laws did not apply to buildings, only farmland."
The entire subway, public places as sensitive is just plain nuts. Sensitive places what is sensitive about a subway or a city/town square.
post offices etc.....

Moreover, the Second Amendment guarantees an “individual right to possess and carry weapons in case of confrontation,” id., at 592, and confrontation can surely take place outside the home. Pp. 23–24.

The entire subway, public places as sensitive is just plain nuts. Sensitive places what is sensitive about a subway or a city/town square.
post offices etc.....

Moreover, the Second Amendment guarantees an “individual right to possess and carry weapons in case of confrontation,” id., at 592, and confrontation can surely take place outside the home. Pp. 23–24.

Right after the SCOTUS decision Houchul said they’d aake it impossible to carry a gun in NY, that was how they designed the bill. All private businesses were by default gun restricted unless allowed by sign, they made Times Square 10 times what it is, public parks, subway, etc. they wanted to restrict so many places so it would be impossible to carry especially in NYC.

Maryland will have a loony democrat governor in 2023, they try similar. California will next year since their emergency bill didn’t get the 2/3rds required for it to pass. They fell one vote short of 2/3rds so they’re definitely passing crazy stuff with a simple majority. I’m sure Healy will push crazy stuff next year too.

MA
Right after the SCOTUS decision Houchul said they’d aake it impossible to carry a gun in NY, that was how they designed the bill. All private businesses were by default gun restricted unless allowed by sign, they made Times Square 10 times what it is, public parks, subway, etc. they wanted to restrict so many places so it would be impossible to carry especially in NYC.

Maryland will have a loony democrat governor in 2023, they try similar. California will next year since their emergency bill didn’t get the 2/3rds required for it to pass. They fell one vote short of 2/3rds so they’re definitely passing crazy stuff with a simple majority. I’m sure Healy will push crazy stuff next year too.
MA will have a Looney Dem Governor in 2023 also. But Fuher Healey so far seems to be mostly following the law as AG.
From the AG's office:

"“Licensing authorities should cease enforcement of the “good reason” provision of the license-to-carry statute in response to Bruen. Authorities should no longer deny, or impose restrictions on, a license to carry because the applicant lacks a sufficiently good reason to carry a firearm. An applicant who is neither a “prohibited person” or “unsuitable” must be issued an unrestricted license to carry.”

MA

MA will have a Looney Dem Governor in 2023 also. But Fuher Healey so far seems to be mostly following the law as AG.
From the AG's office:

"“Licensing authorities should cease enforcement of the “good reason” provision of the license-to-carry statute in response to Bruen. Authorities should no longer deny, or impose restrictions on, a license to carry because the applicant lacks a sufficiently good reason to carry a firearm. An applicant who is neither a “prohibited person” or “unsuitable” must be issued an unrestricted license to carry.”
Like I stated earlier after Queen Maura's coronation she will be free to do whatever she wants because she has no challengers in the State. It seems she doesn't want to die on the hill of anti-2A gun control after the Bruen decision. She had bigger fish to fry (climate change and oil companies) and she has National ambitions. Next year will be interesting especially after the Dems get destroyed in the midterms and R's control the House and hopefully the Senate.

Like I stated earlier after Queen Maura's coronation she will be free to do whatever she wants because she has no challengers in the State. It seems she doesn't want to die on the hill of anti-2A gun control after the Bruen decision. She had bigger fish to fry (climate change and oil companies) and she has National ambitions. Next year will be interesting especially after the Dems get destroyed in the midterms and R's control the House and hopefully the Senate.
lets hope so

MA

From the AG's office:

The dems don’t seem to prioritize gun control like the dems in NY, NJ and CA do. NJ and CA especially pass several gun control bills each year and continue to come up with loonier ideas each time.

I expect dems to increase the red tape and bs in the gun license process and a few other things I don’t want to mention on a public board but you guys know what they are.

GOAL's has a new NYSRPA vs. Bruen t-shirt featuring Justice Thomas.

BIDGaCX.png

At the GOAL store

And they have big boy sizes.
I am 6'4" (yes unusual for a tabby cat) and anything under 4x shrinks in length first wash to show my belly button (also unusual for a tabby cat).

Get a cool shirt, tout the Bruen decision, honor Justice Thomas, and support GOAL all at the same time.

Too cool, yes?

Note: I had to go to the bottom right corner to set currency to US $ it defaulted to Euro

🐯

Bought this t-shirt a few weeks ago and didn’t bother to open the package till yesterday and I’m sorry I recommended it here. The detail of the silkscreening is dismal. The lower lettering with Justice Thomas and NYSRPA is mostly unreadable with portions of the letters missing (largely due to the font used I think).

I would have rather just given the money straight to GOAL than a third party vendor for a subpar product.

Maybe it’s a one off dud, did anyone else buy one?

🐯

Perhaps the most important empirical question in the aftermath of Bruen will be whether the decision leads to a statistically significant increase in gun violence in former may-issue states.

“Gun violence” is the wrong measure - “criminal victimization” and “lawful defense gun use” are relevant measures. The left will be counting every gun and bullet legally bought, every bullet fired, month by month to claim a rise in gun violence before any statistical significance emerges. And they will scrupulously avoid gathering any data or doing any analysis that doesn’t support their ends.

What is it about honest, law-abiding citizens of NY, CA, NJ, MD, CT, DE, HI, RI & MA that would induce them to become violent felons if readily given shall-issue RKBA? Even with the more rigorous state background checks, application requirements & reviews and training requirements of these states, are citizens of these states somehow more mentally unsuitable or prone to criminal intentions? Of course not.

Is there something about the decaying urban centers lead by Democrats that might see more guns brandished and bullets fired post-Bruen? If good citizens decide to venture once again into misbegotten parts of town - maybe so. If residents of these misbegotten parts of town decide to walk their own streets again - maybe so.

I call this a good thing - not gun violence.

The authors do pay lip-service to DGU statistics, but find good reasons to be critical of self-reported DGUs, even if paragraphs earlier they reference “30% of surveyed Generation-Z members had experienced gun violence personally and an additional 24% had a friend or family member who had” Without such a caveat. They are prepared to dismiss any data/analysis showing a positive impact of Bruen before such any such data/analysis exists.

Motivated Cognition is a self-imposed blindness that particularly affects those who believe they have the power to see what other cannot see.

Last edited:
Seems like it did not take long....but I am not up on usual timelines for this stuff...

Perhaps the most important empirical question in the aftermath of Bruen will be whether the decision leads to a statistically significant increase in gun violence in former may-issue states.

“Gun violence” is the wrong measure - “criminal victimization” and “lawful defense gun use” are relevant measures. The left will be counting every gun and bullet legally bought, every bullet fired, month by month to claim a rise in gun violence before any statistical significance emerges. And they will scrupulously avoid gathering any data or doing any analysis that doesn’t support their ends.

What is it about honest, law-abiding citizens of NY, CA, NJ, MD, CT, DE, HI, RI & MA that would induce them to become violent felons if readily given shall-issue RKBA? Even with the more rigorous state background checks, application requirements & reviews and training requirements of these states, are citizens of these states somehow more mentally unsuitable or prone to criminal intentions? Of course not.

Is there something about the decaying urban centers lead by Democrats that might see more guns brandished and bullets fired post-Bruen? If good citizens decide to venture once again into misbegotten parts of town - maybe so. If residents of these misbegotten parts of town decide to walk their own streets again - maybe so.

I call this a good thing - not gun violence.

The authors do pay lip-service to DGU statistics, but find good reasons to be critical of self-reported DGUs, even if paragraphs earlier they reference “30% of surveyed Generation-Z members had experienced gun violence personally and an additional 24% had a friend or family member who had” Without such a caveat. They are prepared to dismiss any data/analysis showing a positive impact of Bruen before such any such data/analysis exists.

Motivated Cognition is a self-imposed blindness that particularly affects those who believe they have the power to see what other cannot see.
Also, if this is happening at the same time that police are being defunded and officers that are working are afraid to be proactive, then crime or "gun violence" may go up.

In 1994, the year the original AWB passed, violent rime in America peaked. When it started to go down the anti gun nuts said "See!!".
But then again AWs were only used in about 250 murders per year. This was easy to tease out of the data. Further, when the AWB sunsetted in 2004, crime continued to go down until about 2018.

Also, if this is happening at the same time that police are being defunded and officers that are working are afraid to be proactive, then crime or "gun violence" may go up.

In 1994, the year the original AWB passed, violent rime in America peaked. When it started to go down the anti gun nuts said "See!!".
But then again AWs were only used in about 250 murders per year. This was easy to tease out of the data. Further, when the AWB sunsetted in 2004, crime continued to go down until about 2018.
Good point - most junk gun control studies will not adequately control for confounding variables. ”Former” May-Issue states were deep blue with cities doing a lot of defunding and losing LEOs by the hundreds. Dems are “tough on crime” in word only until mid-November this year, so their continued demise will drive increased crime unrelated to Bruen.

Seems like it did not take long....but I am not up on usual timelines for this stuff...

Four boxes diner said that this is normal process for a case incoming to the 3 judge panel. He said the stay will be put back in place as soon as the judges are announced. So it's like a couple of days at most.

Not only that, as a result of the ban, the sale of ARs (and other affected rifles) skyrocketed, just in the AWB compliant configuration; and yet murder rates fell.

Almost like crime is caused by something other than guns.

"Also, if this is happening at the same time that police are being defunded and officers that are working are afraid to be proactive, then crime or "gun violence" may go up."

I read news article recently that said Boston Cops are quitting and joining the Boston FD because of mandatory OT and lack of respect and Harassment from Pols and citizens.
91 yr old Black Boston civil rights activist was attacked/stabbed in Franklin Park the other night while walking her dog. Watched Wu, Wu's tearful press conference and laughed, you get what you pay for Mayor. No mention of attacker's race but anyone who knows Franklin Park knows it wasn't a White Supremacist.

"Jean M. McGuire, 91, a cofounder of the Metco program and the first Black woman to be elected to the Boston School Committee, was walking her dog, Bailey, when she was attacked by a man who stabbed her multiple times Tuesday night, police said.
According to the police report, McGuire was discovered by people walking through the park after visiting Boston Lights at the Franklin Park Zoo. She was able to ask for help and the people called 911, police wrote in the report.
McGuire’s friend, Jeriline Brady Mcginnis, said McGuire fought back and Bailey also helped repel the attacker.
“[Jean] attacked this guy. She was kicking him in the (groin) while Bailey was working him over. And he tried to run, and the dog chased him. And [the attacker] disappeared out of sight,” Mcginnis said. “Bailey stood up for her.”

Continue reading

Back
Top Bottom