Supreme Court - NYSRPA v. Bruen - Megathread

I CAN'T STAND watching this guy! His head moves around like a bobble-head doll. He is always squirming like he has ants in his pants. I just feel uncomfortable, even if he has something worthwhile to say, I can't stand it.

I didn’t know the Guns n Gadgets guy is a Mashhole. Is he on here??

I'm actually/unfortunately old enough to remember when Bradlees was Orbits 😩

Just sayin'

I’m only Shaws was BPM old.

per Target Corporation - Wikipedia - The first Target discount store opened in Roseville, Minnesota, a suburb of Minneapolis–Saint Paul, on May 1, 1962.

So I'm going to go with "the Midwest"
I grew up in Minneapolis and Target was the discount version of the big Dayton's department store in downtown Minneapolis (think of Filene’s and Filene’s Basement). It was where the “po’ folk” who couldn’t afford Dayton's went to shop. In 1969, Dayton’s merged with Hudson’s of Michigan to form the Dayton-Hudson Corporation. It kept that name until 2000, when it finally changed its name to the Target Corporation because by then Target represented by far the majority of the business.

So what are you saying, Mr. 7,000 posts? ;)

(I know. Pot. Kettle. Black. ROFL!!!!)
In order:
  1. I'm not all that smart
  2. I don't maintain a public personality as a YouTuber, such that my presence on NES could negatively affect my audience there, nor that I get baited (further) into arguments here.
  3. Did I mention, guilty as charged?

In order:
  1. I'm not all that smart
  2. I don't maintain a public personality as a YouTuber, such that my presence on NES could negatively affect my audience there, nor that I get baited (further) into arguments here.
  3. Did I mention, guilty as charged?

I cannot recall the username, but i thought for sure he was on here summer of 2016. He was putting links to his videos here. He also showed up in the GOVT facebook group sharing his videos there as well. His youtube channel started with reviews of stuff. Healy got him into the legal and policy update stuff - seems that is what got his channel making money.

Seems like nobody on here complaining about anything to do with licenses any more. So, is everything working now? Everyone's restrictions gone and new licenses issued everywhere?

What about "NYSRPA vs. Bruen" and the new law? Has the governor even signed it yet? Maybe he won't. Is there a time deadline?

Thinking of getting a Med card to buy your legal weed cheaper and thinking all is clear with the recent Supreme Court decision, think again. The Govt doesn't quit that easy:

The Biden administration yesterday urged a federal judge to dismiss a lawsuit challenging the ban on gun possession by medical marijuana users, saying that law is consistent with a long tradition of firearm regulation in the United States. Furthermore, the Justice Department says, that prohibition makes perfect sense because marijuana use impairs the ability to handle guns responsibly.

The government's lawyers were responding to a lawsuit by Nikki Fried, a Democrat who runs the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. Fried, whose department oversees concealed carry permits and some parts of Florida's medical marijuana industry, argues that prohibiting all cannabis consumers from owning guns violates the Second Amendment. She also claims that the policy violates a congressional spending rider, known as the Rohrabacher-Farr Amendment, that bars the Justice Department from interfering with the implementation of state medical marijuana laws.

Thinking of getting a Med card to buy your legal weed cheaper and thinking all is clear with the recent Supreme Court decision, think again. The Govt doesn't quit that easy:

The Biden administration yesterday urged a federal judge to dismiss a lawsuit challenging the ban on gun possession by medical marijuana users, saying that law is consistent with a long tradition of firearm regulation in the United States. Furthermore, the Justice Department says, that prohibition makes perfect sense because marijuana use impairs the ability to handle guns responsibly.

The government's lawyers were responding to a lawsuit by Nikki Fried, a Democrat who runs the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. Fried, whose department oversees concealed carry permits and some parts of Florida's medical marijuana industry, argues that prohibiting all cannabis consumers from owning guns violates the Second Amendment. She also claims that the policy violates a congressional spending rider, known as the Rohrabacher-Farr Amendment, that bars the Justice Department from interfering with the implementation of state medical marijuana laws.
They do some basic political math every time a contradiction happens. They desire to legalize weed, but their desire to f*&k over gun owners is stronger. Therefore, weed bad.

I think that over hte next 50 years, future judges will use Thomas' language to further expand gun rights without an additional SC decision. He stuffed that thing so full of nice little nuggets that judges can hang onto. I could see a future judge in 15-20 years taking Thomas' words to mean that we shouldn't have licensing at all. Despite Thomas saying we needed licensing. Because a lot more of his language goes back to a historical "test" where. . . . . a license would be invalid.

I think that over hte next 50 years, future judges will use Thomas' language to further expand gun rights without an additional SC decision. He stuffed that thing so full of nice little nuggets that judges can hang onto. I could see a future judge in 15-20 years taking Thomas' words to mean that we shouldn't have licensing at all. Despite Thomas saying we needed licensing. Because a lot more of his language goes back to a historical "test" where. . . . . a license would be invalid.

I like what you're saying but I'm more cynical. Unless there is a major upheaval the trend has been towards more personal politics on the bench, not less. It's going to entirely depend on who the judges are and how willing they are to rule against their own politics in favor of the rule of law.

I like what you're saying but I'm more cynical. Unless there is a major upheaval the trend has been towards more personal politics on the bench, not less. It's going to entirely depend on who the judges are and how willing they are to rule against their own politics in favor of the rule of law.
Am also cynical, but the Bruen case has already had at least one unexpected ruling in a criminal case regarding possession of a firearm. The charges were dropped on constitutional grounds. Did not think this would happen this soon. (Sorry could not find a link to the particular story - it may have been posted on NES?)

Think the key issue will be getting cases to percolate up through the court system to have unconstitutional regulations tossed and to flesh out the limits to the 2A. Anyone think MA will prosecute someone for violating the AWB now? Or the 2017 reinterpretation of the AWB by the AG? Seriously doubt it. So long as it is not tossed out by a court and remains on the books, the state can use it to intimidate dealers and those who don't want the hassle, wanting to just be left alone.

We don't need every case to go our way. Thomas wrote the opinion in a way for further historic interpretation of 2A. He's like Howard Stark. He lacks the technology of his time to fix this wrong. His greatest achievement is, and has always been, putting words into decisions that allow other judges to expand rights as time progresses. ;)

The way I read the decision, he very much left the door open for the elimination of licensing in the future, and simply was not at this time making a conclusion on the subject, rather simply setting the standard that must be used should it come up later.

If that makes sense.

The way I read the decision, he very much left the door open for the elimination of licensing in the future, and simply was not at this time making a conclusion on the subject, rather simply setting the standard that must be used should it come up later.

If that makes sense.
right.

It's not that he said we need licensing. All he said was that the facts and question of this case don't lead him to say it's unconstitutional...and that it might behoove those who like licensing to not make him consider that in the future.

Except it's not valid given the historical context of 2A. He basically is allowing the elimination of licensing for some future judge. There were no licenses in 1776.

I'm buying a howitzer. ROFL.

Correct. The case that was before him challenged the need of a reason in order to get a license. I think if the plaintiff (petitioner?) went as far to say that needing any license at all was not in the spirit of the 2nd amendment, Thomas would have taken the bait. Not sure he would have had the support of the rest of the judges though.

Except it's not valid given the historical context of 2A. He basically is allowing the elimination of licensing for some future judge. There were no licenses in 1776.

my suggestion

1660156154492.png
MY SUGGESTION.

Correct. The case that was before him challenged the need of a reason in order to get a license. I think if the plaintiff (petitioner?) went as far to say that needing any license at all was not in the spirit of the 2nd amendment, Thomas would have taken the bait. Not sure he would have had the support of the rest of the judges though.
Even Kagan pointed out during the oral arguments that we don't require licenses for other Constitutional rights. At the end of the day, though, she voted her party line and I think shooting down licenses altogether would have been a bridge too far for Roberts and probably Kavanaugh.

Back
Top Bottom