• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Supreme Court - NYSRPA v. Bruen - Megathread

It has been my theory since this passed that NY and CA and to a lesser extent MA and HI will F this up beyond what they could ever imagine. Sure. They're gonna push. And push hard. And they'll probably win at a district level and maybe even an appeals level. But at some point, they're going to get in front of the SC one more time and it gives the Supremes a chance to strengthen their position. While I don't THINK they'll come back with Con-Carry, there is a risk of it. And these petulant lawmakers will be SHOCKED, SHOCKED I TELL YOU when they get mega-b-slapped by the SC. They just can't imagine actually losing this decision.

This is what happens when you pass legislation as a fast knee-jerk to an event. You come up with feel-good shitty legislation.

Hawaii is probably the most anti carry state in the country. 4 licenses issued in the last 22 years (population of 1.5 million). MA pols are lazy, they are anti gun but don’t seem to be very active. CA passes 5 new gun control laws every 2 years and they are the inventor of most of the newer infringements. NJ passes new ones every few years too. I’d put CA, NY, NJ and Hawaii in a separate category from MD and MA. Will Massachusetts chance if Healy is in there? Very possible.

Oh I think 98 was so epic as to not need a new gun law for a while. We were #1 for too long. I would be wary of new gun legislation in the next 8-12 months before the challenges to the NY/CA BS are decided. You can see these toolbags in Boston deciding to just start passing laws to make themselves feel good.

The state wouldn’t be the one filing the suit, so they wouldn’t judge shop. Also, then2nd circuit court of appeals has 13 members, 6 are GOP nominees including 5 from trump. The 2nd isn’t a left wing circuit at all any longer.

A judge could put an injunction on the law preventing it from going into effect while the case proceeds. As @Rob Boudrie said, the statements from the NY politicians were very clear. Also the timing of the law. NY never cared about all these “sensitive spaces” unlit like the NYSRPA case and it’s clear the goal is to make it impossible to carry especially in the city.

But they have painted themselves into a corner.

SCOTUS can stop this pretty easily if they had the balls to. Issue in all rulings the government agents are stripped of immunity and may be sued for civil damages.

This.

All it takes is penalties. Make them pay ALL legal fees for both sides and a civil penalty that goes to supporting the shooting sports.😆😆😆

I’ve emailed my chief and he himself hasn’t gotten back to me
It looks like you got in touch with Com2A so you should be in good hands.
General statement:
A generic email to the chief isn't going to help unless it has a clearly defined demand and timeline.

Chief LowIQ
I am writing in regards to the restricted LTC your department issued to me, against my request for unrestricted, on (date). My previous request, dated xxx, may not have made my position clear - I wish to exercise my right to bear arms in public immediately. To do so lawfully I must demand that my license be changed to unrestricted per the Supreme Court's opinion on Bruen.

The Supreme Court published it's decision regarding the right to carry arms in public on 23 June. Since then multiple jurisdictions across the country have published responses stating that unrestricted carry permits would immediately become available.
I am again asking that your department similarly act by removing the restrictions from my license in any and all databases, request the license to be reprinted showing no restrictions, and respond with an official notice that I may lawfully carry during the interim while waiting for the reprinted license.
Given that you likely are receiving numerous requests, official notice to all (town) licensee's that their LTCs are now unrestricted posted to your department's or the towns official websites within 3 business days is good faith notice of compliance with the Supreme Court's order for states to stop infringement of the right to bear arms in public.

Respectfully
The thorn in your side.

But they have painted themselves into a corner.

Dench is very pessimistic about 2A cases, he looks at heller and McDonald and the gap between those and NYSRPA vs bruen and doesn’t think SCOTUS will take up more 2A cases. SCOTUS did take up a NYSRPA vs NYC in 2019 when Ginsberg was still on the court but NYC changed the law and mooted the case.

The court has changed without Kennedy and especially without Ginsberg. It’s much more conservative and much less risk averse. Kavanaugh knew he was on a short list to be on SCOTUS yet voted to strike down the DC AWB. That’s not a meek person. The smears he endured during his confirmation and he didn’t back down an inch. He didn’t withdraw, didn’t play the game, he stood strong and went at them. Remember his speech at the hearing? He was in full IDGAF mode and went at every democrat senator.

SCOTUS takes few cases, 75 ish per term, so they don’t have time to hear everything. I think they look at the NYSRPA decision and think they’ve made it clear to the lower courts and expect them to rule in the proper manner. I think SCOTUS would always prefer lower courts rule correctly so SCOTUS never needs to hear cases. If the lower courts ignore NYSRPA I think SCOTUS will step in quickly.

It’s a very different court, people need to hold fire for a few years and see what they do. I think SCOTUS will be very annoyed with NY. They absolutely are giving SCOTUS the finger and those statements from the drunk mouse hochul, etc will be used against NY.

Last edited:
I still haven't heard back from Boston about removing my restrictions after asking at the end of last week. So they are either overwhelmed, on vacation, or someone up the food chain decided to stall lifting restrictions after the initial flurry last leek.

I still haven't heard back from Boston about removing my restrictions after asking at the end of last week. So they are either overwhelmed, on vacation, or someone up the food chain decided to stall lifting restrictions after the initial flurry last leek.

Have you contacted Com2A?
Did you use a method of contact that is trackable?
Did you demand with a timeline or simply request?
Have you sent another demand by trackable means demanding a response within a specific timeline?

Dear Chief Ass Fister,

I formerly request that my current LTC restrictions be lifted effectively immediately upon receipt of this letter.

Most Unkind Regards,

DungeBerry63

Take the above letter to the station with your phone video camera rolling and ask to hand it directly to Chief Ass Fister or Licensing Officer Knucklenuts.

Don't leave until your request is granted.

Dear Chief Ass Fister,

I formerly request that my current LTC restrictions be lifted effectively immediately upon receipt of this letter.

Most Unkind Regards,

DungeBerry63

Take the above letter to the station with your phone video camera rolling and ask to hand it directly to Chief Ass Fister or Licensing Officer Knucklenuts.

I would change it to Chief Fisted Ass so as to not give hime suggestions.

Dench is very pessimistic about 2A cases, he looks at heller and McDonald and the gap between those and NYSRPA vs bruen and doesn’t think SCOTUS will take up more 2A cases. SCOTUS did take up a NYSRPA vs NYC in 2019 when Ginsberg was still on the court but NYC changed the law and mooted the case.

The court has changed without Kennedy and especially without Ginsberg. It’s much more conservative and much less risk averse. Kavanaugh knew he was on a short list to be on SCOTUS yet voted to strike down the DC AWB. That’s not a meek person. The smears he endured during his confirmation and he didn’t back down an inch. He didn’t withdraw, didn’t play the game, he stood strong and went at them. Remember his speech at the hearing? He was in full IDGAF mode and went at every democrat senator.

SCOTUS takes few cases, 75 ish per term, so they don’t have time to hear everything. I think they look at the NYSRPA decision and think they’ve made it clear to the lower courts and expect them to rule in the proper manner. I think SCOTUS would always prefer lower courts rule correctly so SCOTUS never needs to hear cases. If the lower courts ignore NYSRPA I think SCOTUS will step in quickly.

It’s a very different court, people need to hold fire for a few years and see what they do. I think SCOTUS will be very annoyed with NY. They absolutely are giving SCOTUS the finger and those statements from the drunk mouse hochul, etc will be used against NY.

I think that if lower courts attempt to apply the old intermediate scrutiny standard that there will be GVR's coming out of scotus but I can't see them taking much else other than possibly reciprocity. But it's very likely that some circuits will do this and it's very likely that once again it will be a patchwork where people in the middle of the country think 'what's the big deal?' whereas as folks on the east and west coast are stuck wrestling the alligator 24/7. I'll go out on a limb and say at the rate that they are going most gun laws will end up being struck down because they can't help themselves. Then they will finally have no fig leaf left to hide behind and they'll give up. Even Carrie Nation put her axe away when she figured out that prohibition didn't work

You know what I would love? I would love to see the left finally acquiesce on this subject so that as a society we can have other productive conversations about our veterans, police, college tuitions even gaso health care rather than just making handfuls of lawyers rich fighting unwinnable battles. But they cling to the Bloomberg bucks like a drunk to a lamp post so there's no productive conversation to be had which unfortunately sucks for everyone.

Dear Chief Ass Fister,

I formerally request that my current LTC restrictions be lifted effectively immediately upon receipt of this letter.

Most Unkind Regards,

DungeBerry63

Playing the Scrivener here

Did you email?

More than one member has posted screenshotted reply emails from BPD telling them their restrictions are no longer meaningful.

Is it even neccessary to "remove" restrictions, I thought this new ruling made all that null and void.
If I had a restricted I would disregard it all together and definitely not wait for permission to do so.

I think that if lower courts attempt to apply the old intermediate scrutiny standard that there will be GVR's coming out of scotus but I can't see them taking much else other than possibly reciprocity. But it's very likely that some circuits will do this and it's very likely that once again it will be a patchwork where people in the middle of the country think 'what's the big deal?' whereas as folks on the east and west coast are stuck wrestling the alligator 24/7. I'll go out on a limb and say at the rate that they are going most gun laws will end up being struck down because they can't help themselves. Then they will finally have no fig leaf left to hide behind and they'll give up. Even Carrie Nation put her axe away when she figured out that prohibition didn't work

You know what I would love? I would love to see the left finally acquiesce on this subject so that as a society we can have other productive conversations about our veterans, police, college tuitions even gaso health care rather than just making handfuls of lawyers rich fighting unwinnable battles. But they cling to the Bloomberg bucks like a drunk to a lamp post so there's no productive conversation to be had which unfortunately sucks for everyone.

If the lower courts use intermediate scrutiny I doubt it even gets a GVR, they’ll per curiam it and issue a ruling from SCOTUS without oral arguments. I doubt SCOTUS will accept insubordination, Thomas and Alito in particular have been very upset about the post heller lower court rulings and have been vocal about it.

Dear Chief Ass Fister,

Most Unkind Regards,

DungeBerry63

Did you email?

More than one member has posted screenshotted reply emails from BPD telling them their restrictions are no longer meaningful.
[email protected] is the address I have and it didn't give me a bounce back, so I presume it is still valid.

I'm going to wait a few days to see what happens and if anyone else reports the same non-responsive issue.

Last edited:
Is it even neccessary to "remove" restrictions, I thought this new ruling made all that null and void.
If I had a restricted I would disregard it all together and definitely not wait for permission to do so.
They will attempt to make the case that you do not currently have an unrestricted license to carry, and that even though you were eligible for one post-bruen you did not apply for one or attempt to acquire an unrestricted LTC.

Best to contact your PD and request one, after that if they do not respond or deny to issue it at least you have established proper standing.

Last edited:
Dear Chief Ass Fister,

Most Unkind Regards,

DungeBerry63

Certified mail, return receipt requested. Be precise: "I request the restrictions be removed from my LTC: a replacement ordered; and you to confirm that has been done and if I should pick up the replacement in person or if you prefer to mail it to me".

Certified mail/return receipt is an ideal "polite threat" - if asked, you just want to make sure he got it. It will be obvious you are preparing a paperwork trail for a reason.

My guess is stall as long as possible, emailed BPD two weeks ago, one week ago, left a voicemail this week… emailed GOAL… 🤦🏻‍♂️

SCOTUS can stop this pretty easily if they had the balls to. Issue in all rulings the government agents are stripped of immunity and may be sued for civil damages.
Can you imagine how much crap in general would come to a screeching halt if these dickheads had to ante up personally for their nonsense ?

Dear Chief Ass Fister,

Most Unkind Regards,

DungeBerry63

The above letter I definitely plan on using

Back
Top Bottom