Supreme Court - NYSRPA v. Bruen - Megathread

I didn't think they could hand out the new one with the old one in effect....

If it was me, I would carry anyway like I think Picton said... But I'd be willing to be a test case given the circumstances.
It is common for PDs to post date LTCS, with the issue date being your birthday. This is generally motivated as a service to the renewing LTC holder so they get a full 6 years on the license, rather than just a bit over 5 years (6 years or less, must expire on your birthday).

We keep hearing that, but this state also voted against gay marriage. There's a major push in this state for people to just fit in and go with the flow along the path of least resistance. I happen to think if a lot of the non-voters in this state bothered voting it might be closer to a 50/50 split than we think. It's just the more conservative population of the state is so demoralized they don't bother voting.
Wasn’t it Gov Weld that complained the Mass GOP never did enough to expand the base, I.E. win more local elections and congressional seats? That the state GOP was too fixated on winning the governor race above all else

Note well: Eugene Volokh isn't just some member of the Hair Club for Civil Rights.
If Cal tried pulling that "good moral character == woke anti-racist" crap,
there is a very good chance he'd be in on the 1A aspects of the suit.
And I write that not assuming he's pro-gun.
He's Just That Good.

They are already doing things like defining "Any arrest withing the past 5 years, regardless of disposition" as evidence of bad moral character.
Boy does that sound like a non-starter...

If you have 2 hours; Grab a cold one or two, a pipe or smoke of your choice and sit back and give Andrew a chance. Very informal.
ETA: He is still understandable if you speed up the playback. ...

I doubt he's as funny as Charo was at 2x...
(You guys didn't think I was gonna watch
that whole Burt Reynolds clip at 1:1 speed, did you?)

MEDICAL records? Pretty sure that is illegal.
Illegal?
It's mandatory.

18 USC 922 Unlawful acts
...​
(g)It shall be unlawful for any person—​
...​
(4) who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or who has been committed to a mental institution;​
...​
to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce,​
or possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition;​
or to receive any firearm or ammunition​
which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.​

Now in reality they're only likely to see what NICS has to say about it.
But there's momentum towards involuntary commitment records
to be swept into NICS.

They are already doing things like defining "Any arrest withing the past 5 years, regardless of disposition" as evidence of bad moral character.
Boy does that sound like a non-starter...
Want to show folks their usefulness has passed? Use "any arrest" as a disqualifier, then start kettling and locking up protesters rioters even if just to ROR in the morning...

The far side of a cratering state high-tech economy and collapsing Hub infrastructure might do it.
I mean post-bankruptcy, etc.

Companies are moving the hell out of Chicago.
If Mass becomes a bad enough environment,
companies can bail outta here, too - whether to
Texas, Florida, the Research Triangle or just the land around Pease.
Isn't S&W leaving Springfield?

A civil right is not inalienable, a human right is.
Can you explain these, and how they differ?

AWB, SBRs, suppressors, “machine guns”, body armor, knives, etc etc etc.
Body armor? Is that illegal in MA? I did not think it was.

My friend is a cameraman for one of the big local stations. He works all that shit and said the same thing. Said there was a big protest on the common Saturday night and they were gearing up for big trouble. I texted him Saturday night and asked how the riots were going. Said it was a small turnout that lasted barley two hours before they all left. [rofl] Now you might get more of a reaction in the bigger shit hole cities but the general public aren't going to hitch their wagon to some freaks who threaten to intentionally get pregnant just so they can kill the baby. People will get behind climate change, police brutality, or gunz. But that three ring circus doesn't do anything to help their cause and has a shelf life.
Boston and Mass is about as safe a place in the US you will find for abortion and while people may be upset at other states, they're not going to riot around here.

Also, I think after a man nearly attempted to murder Brett Kavanagh that we're not going to see riots on the same scale that we saw with George Floyd and I think a large part of that was because Trump was President during the election year and people had been locked down for 2 months into Covid. If anything what we're going to see is smaller scale, but much more deadly attacks like with Kavanagh. In addition to continued attacks against SCOTUS justices, what I think will happen is attacks on state legislatures in states that have banned abortions, attacks on legislators, maybe governors in those states, mass shootings or bombings of churches on Sundays when the phews are packed... general terrorism type stuff.

The goal of the extremists now isn't so much to make abortion legal again nationwide because that is pretty much never going to happen, it's now about vengeance and if they can identify someone as their enemy thru bumper stickers, shirts, hats, etc. they may make them a target for attack.

The far side of a cratering state high-tech economy and collapsing Hub infrastructure might do it.
I mean post-bankruptcy, etc.

Companies are moving the hell out of Chicago.
If Mass becomes a bad enough environment,
companies can bail outta here, too - whether to
Texas, Florida, the Research Triangle or just the land around Pease.
It's gonna take a simple influx of people on the Right moving in or educating children who grow up to be more Right of center than their parents while people on the Left move out or die.

There's no reason for people out of state to move to places like Mass, RI, or Connecticut, the taxes, regulations, weather, traffic, cost of living, and density sucks. Down south in states like Texas, Florida, Georgia, Carolinas... better weather, better taxes, lower cost of living, and plenty of land to build.

Isn't S&W leaving Springfield?

Can you explain these, and how they differ?

Body armor? Is that illegal in MA? I did not think it was.
Not yet , it's coming up to be illegal just because it was thought the Uvalde shooter was wearing it, even though he was not. Nothing yet, but they're thinking about it

Monday at 9:30 SCOTUS will issue orders on the remaining 4 2A cases. 2 mag limit cases, an AWB case and the open carry case from Hawaii (George young’s story and the many years he has fought for his rights to be respected is very interesting. Similar to Otis McDonald in his fight against Chicago)

View: https://twitter.com/gunpoliticsny/status/1541075212162277384?s=20&t=-92C9omak-aCHFC_5z0yCQ

I see no reason to believe that SCOTUS will grant any of these when vacating them and sending them back to the lower courts is their SOP. Out of all of them the one I could see SCOTUS granting is the bump stocks because I believe that was from action taken by the ATF/DOJ and I'm sure Thomas would love to smack them around a bit.

I see no reason to believe that SCOTUS will grant any of these when vacating them and sending them back to the lower courts is their SOP. Out of all of them the one I could see SCOTUS granting is the bump stocks because I believe that was from action taken by the ATF/DOJ and I'm sure Thomas would love to smack them around a bit.

I think that’s the most likely course SCOTUS will follow. They don’t hear many cases, so vacate and remand and let the lower courts reverse their ruling and not waste our time on it. If they vacate and remand, their guidance is clear

They probably mean:
Miller
Heller
McDonald

This would be number 4.
If there were ever a prior SCOTUS decision that is a prime candidate for overturning it would be US vs Miller. The basic premise behind that the decision logic no longer applies and hasn't applied for decades now.

I think that’s the most likely course SCOTUS will follow. They don’t hear many cases, so vacate and remand and let the lower courts reverse their ruling and not waste our time on it. If they vacate and remand, their guidance is clear

That feels like it would give us a faster result as well, assuming that the lower court is willing to accept this new decision and rule correctly. If they decide to be dinks and rule in favor of the state again under some new ridiculous reasoning we are back where we stand today and we see how SCOTUS deals with it then.

I think the bumpstock is the least likely.
Mag limits and AWB are probably higher.

I hope if they take just one, they don't waste it on the bumpstock.

Unless someone can educate me on why a desicion on bumpstocks can have a more beneficial effect on the 2A than AWB or Mag Limits.

If there were ever a prior SCOTUS decision that is a prime candidate for overturning it would be US vs Miller. The basic premise behind that the decision logic no longer applies and hasn't applied for decades now.
If the basic premise is that SBS aren't valid militia weapons, it wasn't even true in 39. We were using them in WWI, but nobody bothered to push that argument at SCOTUS because Miller was (IIRC) already dead.

Unless someone can educate me on why a desicion on bumpstocks can have a more beneficial effect on the 2A than AWB or Mag Limits.
Bumpstocks could be interesting to the Justices not from a “guns” point of view, but more in its effect on administrative law. We’ll see.

Mag limits would infuriate Maura "Butt Plug" Healey the most, so I hope that is decided.

Yes you dolt, this is an imortant part of your commie inspired socia credit score.

Not just that but checking social media. It's a good thing I no longer have FB, instagram or twitter. But I suspect that even far left courts are going to have a hard time letting any of that slide in a court of law, because what comes around goes around.

Isn't it a bump stock considered a machine gun in MA and treated the same way for charges?

Looks to me like the next battle will be with these Moral Character clauses:

This is NJ law:

The application shall be signed by the applicant under oath, and shall be indorsed by three reputable persons who have known the applicant for at least 3 years preceding the date of application, and who shall certify thereon that the applicant is a person of good moral character and behavior.

No reference to this in the update AG guidance letter, thus it stands as part of the licensing scheme.

MA will likely do something similar by keeping this asinine requirement.

I hope Comm2A is ready to litigate this bullshit.

Back
Top Bottom