• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Suppressor Host Legality Questions

Hey guys-

I have a 2 part question. I'm in CT, and own a Ti-Rant 45 suppressor. I used to have a HK45 for it, but sold it (kicking myself now) before the recent bans. Ever since then, I obviously couldn't buy a new handgun with a threaded barrel legally.

My question is this. What LEGAL handgun could I buy and then get a threaded barrel for it right now? One gun store told me its legal to get a pre ban handgun and I could use that. Is this 100 percent confirmed and legal? If so, any recommendations on what to look for / where to look?

Any help MUCH appreciated. I really miss shooting through my can! I'm hoping there is legal a work-around.

ejewels,

You are kind of screwed. Its crazy, the fact that a standard semi-auto with a threaded bbl became an assault weapon slipped by a lot of people. I registered several glocks and every 1911 that I own. There was no reason not to. I have barrels that could be used in all of them.

The state already knows I have them, since they were purchased from dealers and a CT DPS-3 was completed with each purchase.

I was able to confirm this by checking the serial number against the CT Cary database we got from a FOIA request from the state. You plug your serial number in and it tells you if its in the registry, along with the town of the owner. These guns all came up so there was no down side to registering them all for use with silencers.

By the way, here's the link: http://ctcarry.com/WeaponsRegistry/Search
(you have to join to use the link)

Do you have any guns that you might have lawfully owned in another state that you could bring here? (don't answer that)

The alternative is to buy a barrel and only put it in the gun when you are actually shooting the can. Yes, you will be breaking the law when the barrel is in the gun, but otherwise you will be in compliance.

This came up in a question I had with from the DESPP. I told him I intended to register my Glocks as AWs, several of which I carried daily on my person loaded. The law says an AW can only be transported unloaded. So I wanted to know the DESPP's opinion if a registered gun was considered an AW when it was not in an AW configuration (with the non-threaded glock bbl on it). He said it was fine to carry as long as the threaded barrel was not in the gun.

I used to never mention things like this, but when those asshats in Hartford pass useless laws that do nothing but infringe on otherwise lawful gun owners. I'm definitely not advocating you break the law. But I at least want you to know how to mitigate your risks if you choose to do so.

If you are serious about fitting the Ti-Rant and doing it legally, send me a PM. I have an idea and a friend. The idea is to thread something other than the barrel. For example, on a 1911, you could come up with a threaded, extended barrel bushing. Once you had that, you would need a custom end cap for the silencer to fit the larger thread diameter of the bushing. This is where my friend who was one of the partners in SWR comes into play. He could point you in the right direction to get all this made.

If you are willing to spend the money, I'm confident we could get this made in a way that keeps you legal. But ultimately you have to weigh it against the other options, which are to never use a silencer again on a handgun in CT, or to do it illegally.

Don

p.s. to illustrate the absurdity of it all, the Ruger 22/45 Lite is now an assault weapon per CGS. The 22/45 lite, fitted with a small 3 oz silencer is the BEST gun for instructing new shooters I've ever used. It has no recoil. It is hearing safe, so you can instruct the shooter without hearing protection. This means they can hear your instructions more easily, you don't have to yell. Its great. And yes, I registered it.

Last edited:
Why would you do that? Replace the barrels and don't register them. Unbelievable.

I think he spelled out pretty clearly why he did it. CT already has them in their system because they were purchased through a dealer who "registered" them. If you have ever bought a gun from a dealer in CT that gun is registered as well. Unless you purchased all your firearms secondhand you're in the system.

Right but just because you purchased with a TB, has no bearing on whether you can remove the TB and just store all your TBs out of state. Now I never purchased a pistol with a TB and didn't get my tax stamp form my suppressor until this January. Wish I got to use it.

Right but just because you purchased with a TB, has no bearing on whether you can remove the TB and just store all your TBs out of state. Now I never purchased a pistol with a TB and didn't get my tax stamp form my suppressor until this January. Wish I got to use it.

So if they come with a list of items to confiscate they won't take your threaded barrels? I'm still not sure how you find what Don did to be "unbelievable".

I WANT to use them as suppressor hosts with a threaded bbl in CT. I did not buy them with threaded bbls. They are all afermarket. I didn't need to register them.
Since the state already knows about these NOTHING is gained by not registering other than making your self feel good.

I happen to be old enough that I have several lawfully off books pre bans that can serve the undocumented firearm purpose. With a little forsight its possible to both protect yourself against confiscation and have legally owned AWs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I guess we just have different philosophies. I wouldn't want to register a pistol I bought as an AW on the word that I could carry it without the TB and it would be OK. Which is why my suppressor serves as a nice paperweight now.

We seem to have some kind of disconnect. I didn't buy any handgun as an AW. They were purchased with plain barrels.

I bought the barrels after the fact because I shot them with both suppressors and muzzle brakes occasionally. And I didn't want to give that up.

I've also found that KKM barrels shoot my reloads better than the stock Glock barrel.

ejewels,

You are kind of screwed. Its crazy, the fact that a standard semi-auto with a threaded bbl became an assault weapon slipped by a lot of people. I registered several glocks and every 1911 that I own. There was no reason not to. I have barrels that could be used in all of them.

The state already knows I have them, since they were purchased from dealers and a CT DPS-3 was completed with each purchase.

I was able to confirm this by checking the serial number against the CT Cary database we got from a FOIA request from the state. You plug your serial number in and it tells you if its in the registry, along with the town of the owner. These guns all came up so there was no down side to registering them all for use with silencers.

By the way, here's the link: http://ctcarry.com/WeaponsRegistry/Search
(you have to join to use the link)

Do you have any guns that you might have lawfully owned in another state that you could bring here? (don't answer that)

The alternative is to buy a barrel and only put it in the gun when you are actually shooting the can. Yes, you will be breaking the law when the barrel is in the gun, but otherwise you will be in compliance.

This came up in a question I had with from the DESPP. I told him I intended to register my Glocks as AWs, several of which I carried daily on my person loaded. The law says an AW can only be transported unloaded. So I wanted to know the DESPP's opinion if a registered gun was considered an AW when it was not in an AW configuration (with the non-threaded glock bbl on it). He said it was fine to carry as long as the threaded barrel was not in the gun.

I used to never mention things like this, but when those asshats in Hartford pass useless laws that do nothing but infringe on otherwise lawful gun owners. I'm definitely not advocating you break the law. But I at least want you to know how to mitigate your risks if you choose to do so.

If you are serious about fitting the Ti-Rant and doing it legally, send me a PM. I have an idea and a friend. The idea is to thread something other than the barrel. For example, on a 1911, you could come up with a threaded, extended barrel bushing. Once you had that, you would need a custom end cap for the silencer to fit the larger thread diameter of the bushing. This is where my friend who was one of the partners in SWR comes into play. He could point you in the right direction to get all this made.

If you are willing to spend the money, I'm confident we could get this made in a way that keeps you legal. But ultimately you have to weigh it against the other options, which are to never use a silencer again on a handgun in CT, or to do it illegally.

Don

p.s. to illustrate the absurdity of it all, the Ruger 22/45 Lite is now an assault weapon per CGS. The 22/45 lite, fitted with a small 3 oz silencer is the BEST gun for instructing new shooters I've ever used. It has no recoil. It is hearing safe, so you can instruct the shooter without hearing protection. This means they can hear your instructions more easily, you don't have to yell. Its great. And yes, I registered it.

Thx Don. I'm confused because the guys at JoJos said I could get a preban handgun and do it. Thoughts?

Don - did you follow through with the pre94 handgun part of this question?

I just had a coworker ask me my opinion on this yesterday so I'm digging this thread up.

His question even has another layer: Can he thread a pre94 .22lr pistol barrel for use with a can, legally?

Damn.

Sorry about that.

I do know the answer to your friend's question. It depends on the answer to the first question.
Unlike the Rifle definition, the handgun definition has never differentiated between centerfire and Rimfire.

So if a Pre 94 handgun of any kind can't be an AW, then it applies equally to a .22.

I'll get on it again.

Don

Back
Top Bottom