Support Our Troops

LenS said:
Lynne, there should be an "edit" button on the upper right of each message that you write.

Since I am not familiar with the nomenclature, I wouldn't know which items to delete in your post, so if you or our other Veterans (who are Mods) want to delete some portion of your post, I'll leave it to them.

There is an edit button which appears right after you write it and "click here" to view it, but not now. That's why I asked the guru's for help. :D

Lynne, hmm maybe the software only allows you a limited amount of time to edit your post? Don't know but I've seen a comment to this effect on another set of forums. As a Moderator, yes, I always see the edit button on every post.

If you know what you want me to delete, please send that particular info in a personal Email and I will gladly do it. Since I don't know what is sensitive and what isn't, I won't go in and edit the info without your input.

LenS said:
Lynne, hmm maybe the software only allows you a limited amount of time to edit your post? Don't know but I've seen a comment to this effect on another set of forums. As a Moderator, yes, I always see the edit button on every post.

It's not just for moderators; I get it on all of my posts, even the old ones. Maybe it's a Y chomosone thing. My wife claims that the computer never wants to work right for her. OTOH, the keyboard deliberately inserts misspellings in my posts.

Ken

Okay....did someone add the Edit key??? I swear it wasn't there before...I know I'm not dreaming....or am I? Maybe it's the voice inside my head again...< be quiet! I told you I'm busy >. You can ignore my PM Len. Thanks anyway. :D

Lynne, OK I see you found it and corrected it.

Any time there is a problem again and you can't fix it, give me a shout and tell me exactly what you want done and I'll take care of it. This was a case where I didn't know what parts should go vs. stay.

When I worked with the military it was on subs (in CT, I was land-based at GD/EB) and other than the boat number and port they were based at, nothing else was public info. Oceans don't have company or camp names/numbers (other than SUBLANT and SUBPAC which meant Atlantic vs. Pacific Fleets). Where the boats were at any given time was very top secret, as they were usually in places that they "shouldn't have been". [twisted]

LenS said:
When I worked with the military it was on subs (in CT, I was land-based at GD/EB) and other than the boat number and port they were based at, nothing else was public info. Oceans don't have company or camp names/numbers (other than SUBLANT and SUBPAC which meant Atlantic vs. Pacific Fleets). Where the boats were at any given time was very top secret, as they were usually in places that they "shouldn't have been". [twisted]

Well, they undoubtedly view their mission much the same way we used to see ours, namely if you weren't someplace we shouldn't have been, we weren't getting the job done. [twisted]

Ken

Ken, indeed!

My next door neighbor was a submariner (E5) and his boat was based out of Rota, Spain IIRC. He told me stories of being depth charged by the Russians during their "cat and mouse" patrols. He also related to me that one time he went up to the Con and took a look at the map (giving their location), he damn near had a shit when he found out where they were and he told me that he never wanted to know again!

God Bless them all for their efforts keep us all free! [It's the politicians who try to take away the freedoms!]

I'll second you on that one Lynne. My husband is writing a rebuttal to an editorial that was printed in yesterdays paper,basically it was asking our son's unit to desert,and not go to Iraq. I was seeing red yesterday,and twice today while I was in Northampton put 2 people in their place over it. I really hate the college area. Did I mention how much I hate the college area.

It is in the Daily Hampshire Gazette,and unfortunately you have to subscribe. But I did happen to cut it ou and I will type it out for you if you want.

MrsWildweasel said:
It is in the Daily Hampshire Gazette,and unfortunately you have to subscribe. But I did happen to cut it ou and I will type it out for you if you want.

If it isnt too long, I would like to see it.

Asks Florence guard unit to refuse Iraq Duty

To the editor:
When I read the March 1 article, "Florence guard unit may go to Iraq" I felt compelled to address a plea to it's members,the Bravo Company, 181st Engineerin Battalion:
Please do not go. Once in Iraq you will be taking part in a war crime. Over the years our presidents have signed and our Congresses have ratified international treaties that define this invasion as an act of aggression and therefore,outside the rule of law.
Refuse to go. This is an honorable course,and I believe that you are honorable men and women. If you go,you will be leaving your families,your loved ones,to go to Iraq and visit grief,despair,and death upon others and their loved ones.
The people of the world, not necesarily their leaders, are horrified by what our country is doing. Only we, the citizens of the United States can end this madness.
We hear again and again that you have to "get the job done" But what is that job? In spite of what we have been told, it has nothing to do with protecting and defending the Unied States. If that were the case, it would not be an international crime since all treaties give a sovereign nation the right to defend itsels. The job, then, is to bludgeon the Iraqis into submitting to our will by any means necessary.
We, the American people, have no grievance with the people of Iraq. In fact, they are the ones who have the law on their side in defending themselves against us as an invading force.
Many, Many people in this community stand ready to assist you and support you if you chose to take this morally and legally correct action.
This is the whole editorial.

Yes,but there was also an article about Town Meetin resolutions against Guard use. 3 of the towns Belchertown,Granby and of course Amherst,are taking up measures to call for the withdrawal of state National guard troops. Glenn's rebuttal to that editoral is good ,just too long for me to type.

Actually I figured out the cut and paste.. so here's hubby's reply
This is a rebuttal to the letter from Mary Wentworth in which she urged the
Florence based Army National guard unit to desert in time of war.
(You may try to call it anything else but that's what she is advocating.)
We are engaged in a struggle to bring Democracy to The people of Iraq.
Not the extermination of the people of Iraq.
Not quite the View that The Communist based
"Peace" Movement would like you to believe. (do some research on who Funds the Peace rallies
and you will find that US Communist party is behind most of them.)

As a U.S. Army Veteran and also former member of the unit in question,
I can say that the unit will uphold the highest traditions of the U.S. Army
and do their mission with Pride and the care that is needed to safeguard Lives on both sides.
I believe this as My only son is among the troops who will be deployed with B Company.

By and large the Iraqi people are happy we are there and do NOT want us to leave until
the political situation is properly stabilized. to pull out now would be a humanitarian disaster.
This will take time so the new government can be built and the Iraqi National Guard and police
can be trained to western standards (this includes Humanitarian standards) can we consider leaving.

The insurgency is Mostly funded/Manned by the Iranians and Syrians. (who do not want democracy to spread.)
This is the primary enemy along with elements of Al Quida. (You remember them? Remember Sept 11? ),
The people of Iraq, Empowered by the first free elections in decades are turning these Foreign fighters in at an
all time high.

Democracy is Spreading in the middle east- look at the revolution in Lebanon.
If this is able to continue and spread Perhaps to the people of Iran who have been
chaffing under the repressive hands of the Mullahs since 1981 can be freed from thier grasp.

If you want to find out more that the Print and TV media is not telling you about the good that is happening
in Iraq Do some searches on the Web for Blogs.
Our troops are daily ambassadors in Boots trying to get the
people of Iraq to see the good that can come out of this conflict and the opportunity that they are given.
We should not alow a vocal Minority here at home to remove this great gift that can come out of the turmoil.

I have been seeing red especially after dealing with two idiots today. One in Walmart and the other in the laudromat. The one in the laudromat,I basically told her to not say anymore or I was going to say something not so nice. She happened to be someone I knew from when I worked there. I would not have been ladylike. Glenn writes things like that better than I do, I can't be as tactful as him when it comes to something near and dear to my heart.

derek said:
More tactful than I would have written it. But very well written to say the least.

Thanks Derek, I had to really tone it down, I just want to choke the shit out of them.
But being at the U all these years paid off and I am Able to try to put down some words when needed.
I remember the Vietnam years and all this peacenik crap and it pissed me off then (both Uncles served at least 1 tour as 0311 Marines (one uncle 2 tours and the other 1) and dad was a Korea era Marine.
I served Post Vietnam (81-85) Army and was treated like lepers. untill after Granada and then it was sort of okay.

Kipling comes to mind with his Tommy Poem. - I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind",
But it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind,
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
O it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!

I remember and will do my best to not have it happen to the kids nowadays.

I'm really looking forward to meeting you two at the rifle clinic next month. It's going to be a great time.

I don't blame you for seeing red. I'm glad your hubby is writing a rebutal. In fact, if you know any of the other parents, have them write in as well. Of course you don't WANT him to go there, but God love him for wanting to. I'm amazed that you can type it and remain coherent - I'd still be a blithering idiot turning the air around me blue from swearing. Please have hubby (sorry dear heart, I forget your name) post his reply here?

I'M PO'd and I don't have family heading over there. [twisted]

Lynne she posted it allready. My name is Glenn BTW Nice to meet you.

The biggest issue I have with Al going over is I won't be there to protect him. If I was healthy I would rejoin the unit and say to hell with everything else. As I have had spinal fusion surgury and have a torn rotator cuff (along with Asthma) I am no longer eligible to serve. I am trusting in my Army and the Unit I helped place him in to teach him well and his buddys to cover him when needed.
His month Home will be filled with range work so he can get as much trigger time as possible.
He is our only child and We raised him to do the right thing and I have been training him on weapons since he was a pup. Now I have to admit that he is an adult and watch him go to war when I can't.
It is about the hardest thing as a parent we can do.

Wildweasel said:

The biggest issue I have with Al going over is I won't be there to protect him. If I was healthy I would rejoin the unit and say to hell with everything else. As I have had spinal fusion surgury and have a torn rotator cuff (along with Asthma) I am no longer eligible to serve. I am trusting in my Army and the Unit I helped place him in to teach him well and his buddys to cover him when needed.
His month Home will be filled with range work so he can get as much trigger time as possible.
He is our only child and We raised him to do the right thing and I have been training him on weapons since he was a pup. Now I have to admit that he is an adult and watch him go to war when I can't.

Glenn,

I can't imagine how hard it's going to be for you and your wife. Before he goes, just remind him not to take anything, anything for granted. He's been trained well enough to take care of himself, and he will. Just make sure he keeps his head up and he will come home.

Derek

Wildweasel said:

Hi Glenn - I knew your name but I had a brain cramp. :)

1) That response was awesome. Good job, and I know how difficult it can be when you're trying to be tactful to get a point across. Although some of my posts haven't suggested it, I *can* be eloquent when it's deemed appropriate. Sad part is, when speaking to a lib, diplomacy doesn't work...sometimes you need to slap them upside the head.

2) I just read this post of yours and I cried. I'm not a mom (excpet for the four legged and furry ones), but I empathize with your concern. The one thing I will say to you is trust the training you've given him. I've read things by you and the Mrs.. He had good role models growing up. He'll do his job and be one of the best soldiers we've got over there.

My heart and prayers go out to you and Mrs. W, as well as with Al. I hope he knows that the snots like the one who wrote the letter are far and few between in this country. For once, folks like us are in the majoirty. Give him a hug for me and tell him I said thank you. And thank you both for your willingness for him to serve. You are unsung heros too.

Glenn got a call from the Gazette and they are going to publish his reply,and I guess we'll see how much they butcher it.
Susanne

MrsWildweasel said:
Glenn got a call from the Gazette and they are going to publish his reply,and I guess we'll see how much they butcher it.
Susanne

Hopefully they won't, but depending on how much space they've got, or how many words they allow (if any limit) they might. Let us know when it goes in and what they do to it.

The Daily Hampshire Gazette actually printed Glenns rebuttal,but of course they cut out alot too. Most of the good parts Glenn wrote are there.

Back
Top Bottom