• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Supply of 7.62X39 running low!!

Hi all,

My supply of 7.62X39 is running low. I haven't stocked up in quite a few years now.
Things must have changed a bit between now and then & I was wondering what you guys were using these days.
I only have a few concerns.

First is consistent ignition. I can't stand super hard primers that require a anvil to set off.

Second is accuracy. Nothing crazy, just acceptable groups at 75 yards or so.

Price is the least concern. I'd gladly pay a little extra to satisfy my first two concerns.

Lastly is availability. Take Mass out of the equation. I've got many friends & family who live in free states.

What do you guys like these days? Looking for prices & sources for decent ammo.

Thanks in advance. Saltydude. [grin]

You're asking for sources so I'll just leave this link here.

He's definitely not asking what companies ship to MA. He's asking what 7.62x39 has the best accuracy and consistent ignition. My main criteria is based on price so I just use wolf and find it plenty accurate for my AK. I remember Flintoid did an accuracy test of various 7.62x39 ammo a little while back. I'll try to find that thread

Last edited:
He did ask for sources...

How dare he ask for sources of ammo! Maybe it's just me but it didn't seem that the OP was asking for anything to be shipped to MA.

Saltydude I don't shoot 7.62x39 so no recommendation on what type but I've had success finding good deals on other calibers on SlickGuns http://www.slickguns.com/category/ammo?caliber=10 (I am not affiliated with this site in any way). Good luck!

Thanks for the link Marcus.
Hmmm Golden Tiger seems to be popular & I've seen people using it.
I suppose I should't care but I'd really like to continue using the surplus stuff but I cringe at the idea of using ammo that looks like it's marketed to children with cartoon characters on the box. Lions tigers & bears O-MY! [rofl]

Wolf smells bad but shoots straight, and I've never had a round fail to fire in my AK. Another plus is that if you miss a few pieces of "brass" when cleaning up after range time, it'll rust into the ground in a few days. [grin]

100_1602.jpg the yugoslavian x39 has been the best I tried(actual testing on my romanian sks that is)
best group @ 100 yards
Yugo
wolf
some old ass norinco
silver bear,brown bear,tiger this all seems to be about the same
I cant recall any of this stuff not going bang on any of my SKS. AK

these pics are of wolf and yugo surplus. Off the top of a plastic tool box @ 100 yards POA was the 6 O'c of the black. The wolf was closer on POA/POI thats about as good as this sks will shoot.

Attachments

• 100_1896.jpg
    100_1896.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Not 7.62x39, but I use Silver Bear .223 in my XCR and it seems decent. It's not the most accurate stuff, but that's not why most people buy steel cased Russian ammo.

I have been mostly shooting Tulammo that I get from Walmart for $4.97 a box. They don't always have it, but when they do I buy all of it.

I have a 500 round case of Brown Bear that I got at Rileys for $125. Last time I went, they were out.

And I have a full crate of Yugo that I haven't cracked open yet. That's my rainy day fund.

I haven't been able to tell much difference in accuracy. They all group decent at 50 and 100 yards.

There seem to be plenty of places online that will ship to free states.

i hit Manchester Firing Line this morning for another 700 round spam can for $179.99. that's the best price i've been able to find around me anyways until i find for myself a website that'll ship to MA at a better price, i'll keep going there. Stateline in Plaistow NH has 500 round boxes for $149.99 too.

Wolf smells bad but shoots straight, and I've never had a round fail to fire in my AK.

I've used Wolf. It works well.

I cant recall any of this stuff not going bang on any of my SKS. AK

I don't think I've had too many problems with it in my AK either. I did have problems in my Mini 30. Yes I know you need to install the stiffer hammer spring. I was going to dump some money into it. You can make them pretty sweet shooters. Then I just decided to sell the thing & buy an AK. Very glad I did. But still....... I hate any ammo with hard primers. I've had some surplus with very hard primers. There's just no need for some of those mothers. I don't need Military saftey bla bla bla for my applications.

hornady,black hills, and lapua made 762x39 BUT more money than it should be. I tried the lapua stuff as I got it for almost free. It was nice, great brass. It really did not shoot better in any of my 39 guns. Maybe in a long barrel bolt gun it might perform?

Ulyanovsk ammo is whats common these days. Black and white cartridge and comes in either case lots or spam cans. I've shot a bunch of this stuff out of several different 7.62x39 rifles without any issues. Primers fire fine and no duds yet.

AMM-6408.jpg

Other than that Tulammo is widely available but its really dirty and I've had about 30 or so duds out of a 1,000 rounds case of the 5.45x39

2-TLUL076201BX.jpg

And just recently some stuff started showing up from the Klimovsk factory in Russia but I haven't tried any of it yet.

Supposedly both Tulammo and Ulyanovsk are pretty much one in the same now as they're owned by 1 person but are still 2 different manufacturing plants. I'm pretty sure Tula made ammo for Wolf.

Golden Tiger is still IMO the best deal for 7.62x39 out there today but its getting harder to find. I don't even bother shooting it out of my AKs anymore but instead save it for when I want accuracy and shoot it through my SKSs only.

Last edited:
I 'm a big fan of corrosive surplus yugo ammo .It shoots great & its relatively clean (berden primers).
It can be found for cheap.

029.jpg

Golden Tiger is still IMO the best deal for 7.62x39 out there today but its getting harder to find. I don't even bother shooting it out of my AKs anymore but instead save it for when I want accuracy and shoot it through my SKSs only.

Manchester Firing Line has cases of Tiger for $229.99

Cabelas seems to be running sales on Herter's ammo for 3.79 - 3.99 / box frequently if you are willing to make the trip to CT or ME.

Golden Tiger is pretty much the best going, but I've also had good luck with MFS (the stuff in the black boxes) and even Tula/Wolf. I've used some Uly with good results, too. When you can find it in case lots from the right vendor, Uly can be found really cheap compared to the others.

ETA: The Yugo Corrosive stuff is the "best and the cheapest" but it is corrosive. So take that for whatever it's worth. If you're willing to clean your rifle after use, it's probably the
best deal if you can find someone selling crates for it. I want to say the crates hold like 1200-1300 rounds or something odd like that.

-Mike

Last edited:
I was at Riley's this morning, and they are very well stocked on 7.62x39. They have Wolf, Golden Tiger, Tula FMJ, Tula HP, and at least one other that I am forgetting. The prices range from $4.95 to $5.95 a box, all very reasonable. They also have 1,000 round cases for $239.

QUOTE: "I 'm a big fan of corrosive surplus yugo ammo .It shoots great & its relatively clean (berden primers).
It can be found for cheap."

Palmetto State Armory has this stuff for $199 for a 1260 round case. That price is delivered -- includes the shipping charge.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/747.php

Unfortunately that sale no longer exists. I emailed PSA about that deal and got a response that they no longer have any Yugo 7.62x39, all sold out.

I think the yugo might be drying up. Its still out there but seems to be selling out. Its great ammo minus the corrosive primers

Back
Top Bottom