• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Super Redhawk 10MM

Considering how low the cost is to run a line of any of their revolvers in different calibers you'd think there would be a lot more options than there are currently. However perhaps they're afraid of offering too many options and diluting their market?

It'd be easy and inexpensive for them to run Redhawk in 10mm, and with a 357 8 Shot LONG barrel, 44 magnum GP100, 475 Linebaugh Super Blackhawk, 41 Magnum 7 shot Super Redhawk (not the current 6) etc.

Considering how low the cost is to run a line of any of their revolvers in different calibers you'd think there would be a lot more options than there are currently. However perhaps they're afraid of offering too many options and diluting their market?

It'd be easy and inexpensive for them to run Redhawk in 10mm, and with a 357 8 Shot LONG barrel, 44 magnum GP100, 475 Linebaugh Super Blackhawk, 41 Magnum 7 shot Super Redhawk (not the current 6) etc.

I don't understand the diluting the market problem. If people would buy them why do they care if people buy an 8 shot 357 over a 6 shot? I get if retooling is expensive or they can't keep up with current demand

I don't understand the diluting the market problem. If people would buy them why do they care if people buy an 8 shot 357 over a 6 shot? I get if retooling is expensive or they can't keep up with current demand

I agree, but gun manufacturers have to be careful due to the way products are brought to market. For example, Smith and Wesson released the M&P 2.0 at a time when all my distributors indicated that they have warehouses full of M&P first gens. Not sure who eats that loss, especially when the margins are so small.

I agree, but gun manufacturers have to be careful due to the way products are brought to market. For example, Smith and Wesson released the M&P 2.0 at a time when all my distributors indicated that they have warehouses full of M&P first gens. Not sure who eats that loss, especially when the margins are so small.

That I completely understand. I was under the impression that revolvers are not as saturated a market as polymer striker semis, especially not big bores. If you get a 10mm s&w in your shop, how long does it sit around?

That I completely understand. I was under the impression that revolvers are not as saturated a market as polymer striker semis, especially not big bores. If you get a 10mm s&w in your shop, how long does it sit around?

610's are a rare bird. I had a pair of them in 98% in condition back in my shop in MA. We didn't really have the customer base to command a market premium for them and I believe they sold for around $600 a piece....really wish I had scooped them up when I did. Then again I also bought a Smith and Wesson 58 from a guy for $240....and didn't know the value they command either. Gunbroker and auctions has totally changed the nature of gun sales. People in MA other than collectors generally don't pay premiums for 41 mags...

I never understand why they make revolvers in pistol calibers. I'd opt for the 454. JMHO of course.

If you reload.... .your reloading one cal for your pistol and revolver. Plus.....9mm is dirt cheap compared to revolver calibers.

a lot of manufacturers are trying to target the hunting market with 10mm and ruger, I believe, is jumping on that train. probably why it's a super redhawk. ed brown, les baer and remington 1911's with the 6" bbl come to mind instantly. as I said in a prior post, i'd buy one but not the super redhawk, it would have to be the std redhawk. it would be a range toy for me.

as for the moon clips, I've just come off a bad experience with the redhawk 45 colt/45 acp. I waited 7 months on a list to get one and had a bunch of miss fires with the 45 acp using the clips. sent it back 3x and needless to say the experience was extremely disappointing. and I had $120 invested in proprietary full moon clips.

so that said, if it ever did come out as a redhawk I may have to wait to get. i'd want to see the initial reports before jumping in.

Ruger seems to have a problem with the Redhawk 45 Colt/45acp buddy of mine went thru the same thing with His. After a few cylinders of 45 acp the cylinder would drag to the point of seizing up. Super Redhawk in 10 mm run out of ammo use it as a club to beat your quarry to death.

given their track record I will be shocked if these SRH 10mm's run smoothly.

i also do not understand this revolver. sort of like the 44 special GP100. i thought ruger's investment cast steel was supposedly super strong. so why are they building such large revolvers in relatively meager chamberings? S&W has no trouble building the model 69 which is a badass 37 oz L-frame that flings 44 mag as well as the human wrist can handle them. ruger ought to be able to do something similar with their GP100. and the SRH in 10mm just seems pathetic. put the damn 10mm cartridge in a smaller gun or if going with the huge frame then at least make it like an 8 shot or something interesting.

that being said I suppose the SRH 10mm is cool in that it provides a 10mm revolver option. with the S&W 610 out of production, AFAIK there aren't any commercially produced 10mm revolvers until now so I guess that's cool for those reloaders who really want to keep their brass pretty and perhaps push the pressure limits of the cartridge.

but for someone like myself who is a fan of the 44 mag, I just see no purpose here. to me there is no better combination than a revolver matched with 44 mag chambering. it's a classy round that pushes the envelope between cool/fun and silly powerful. when people shoot my one of my 629's they always get a giant grin. they just hit a sweet spot.

Ruger seems to have a problem with the Redhawk 45 Colt/45acp buddy of mine went thru the same thing with His. After a few cylinders of 45 acp the cylinder would drag to the point of seizing up. Super Redhawk in 10 mm run out of ammo use it as a club to beat your quarry to death.

I am going through the same thing as greencobra and your buddy. Third time its been back at ruger (been there 1.5 months now). I hope they lost it and just send me a check. Anyway, I would wait at least a year on any gun that is "new" to ruger, like a SRH, RH, or an SP101 with moonclips.

I am going through the same thing as greencobra and your buddy. Third time its been back at ruger (been there 1.5 months now). I hope they lost it and just send me a check. Anyway, I would wait at least a year on any gun that is "new" to ruger, like a SRH, RH, or an SP101 with moonclips.

ruger has given me full replacements for several firearms. in each case i demanded it after the 2nd trip back proved unfruitful. if you're gun is burning up your time and patience, just tell them to issue a replacement. i'm convinced they hand pick a "good one" and have a smith look it over before issuing their replacements. all of my ruger replacements have been flawless; they way the product should be for all purchasers.

The other thing that's a killer is the obscene price Ruger wants for their moon clips,haven't looked lately but $9 for 3 moon clips keeps floating in my head.

The other thing that's a killer is the obscene price Ruger wants for their moon clips,haven't looked lately but $9 for 3 moon clips keeps floating in my head.
Well.....if I'm spending $800 on a handgun......$10 for 3 moon clips is not a deal breaker.

i would rather see ruger develop a .460 mag and perhaps a .500 mag. i dont need fancy colors, i dont need low cap semi auto caliber revolvers id like real innovations.

Back
Top Bottom