• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sunday Steel

As a New Hampshire resident, can I legally travel with my handguns (locked in a box) to the Mass Rifle steel shoots in Woburn? I would like to give it a try this Sunday. I have shot the plate racks up at North Berwick, Maine. This 25 plate format that I've read about on this forum sounds like even more fun than N.Berwick. Also, can you reload with a round in the chamber, (at Mass Rifle) or do you have to shoot to slide lock? Not a big deal, but I like to count rounds and reload with a loaded chamber.

Thanks, Sydney

I can not comment on traveling out of your state with guns but as far as the match goes, 10 rounds to start, load as soon as you like with no more than 10 rounds and your good to go.
Hope to see you there.

If you are entering a competition, you don't need a non-res MA LTC. Please make sure you don't bring any large capacity mags here unless they pre-date the Federal Assault Weapons Ban. Post-ban over ten round mags are not legal to possess here.

Transport your guns unloaded (no round in chamber and no loaded ammo in gun) and secured in the trunk, a gun case, or another locked container.

It can help to have a printed copy of the competition announcement just in case as it is the competition that is the exception and would be your 'defense' in violating the license law.

Also, non-residents can not but ammo in the state. Bring what you need.

I was at the last steel Sunday match last month but only as an observer and was very impressed at how fun it looked. I want to attend, but a little intimidated because it would be my first time. Are beginners welcomed and can I compete with my Beretta 92FS and/or S&W 40VE? Is standard target ammo okay to use? sorry for all the questions, but I am new to the sport... Thx

I was at the last steel Sunday match last month but only as an observer and was very impressed at how fun it looked. I want to attend, but a little intimidated because it would be my first time. Are beginners welcomed and can I compete with my Beretta 92FS and/or S&W 40VE? Is standard target ammo okay to use? sorry for all the questions, but I am new to the sport... Thx

New shooters are always welcomed - Just let Rich know.
Either pistol will work and you will want at least 4 mags - you can do it in 3 mags, but it's best to have more - I usually go to the line with 5 mags just incase I drop one or have a brain fart.

As far as loads, lighter loads work well with falling steel - If you reload, Power Factor (bullet wt. x velocity) of around 125 -130 works. If you don't reload factory ammo is ok as long as it's not "complete metal jacket (ball) ammo"

Have fun!

Last edited:
Either pistol will work and you will want at least 4 mags - you can do it in 3 mags, but it's best to have more - I usually go to the line with 5 mags just incase I drop one or have a brain fart.

As far as loads, lighter loads work well with falling steel - If you reload, Power Factor (bullet wt. x velocity) of around 125 -130 works. If you don't reload factory ammo is ok as long as it's not "complete metal jacket (ball) ammo"

Have fun!

Thanks, I will be there....

Have fun!

I do use reloads (115gr) that I purchase for Roach’s for my Beretta 92FS for target practice and Winchester target ammo (165gr) for the S&W 40VE. Do you have any suggestions or know what others are using…? If something different is used, I want to pick it up tonight or Saturday before the match. Thanks again for the info
Patrick

Pat-

The ammo you listed should be fine. Most people have their own preference for what they like to shoot for ammo in different types of matches. It really depends on what you are comfortable with.

For steel I usually use copper plated bullets:
158gr over 5 gr of 231 powder (I like heavier bullets) in my Round guns - 38spec.
155 gr over 4.5 gr 231 in my .40
124 gr (cant remember the charge) for 9mm

In addition to complete metal jacket, magnums are not allowed either.

If you come, I think you will find that many are willing to offer help to new shooters and you will have a great time. [smile]

Pat-

The ammo you listed should be fine. Most people have their own preference for what they like to shoot for ammo in different types of matches. It really depends on what you are comfortable with.

For steel I usually use copper plated bullets:
158gr over 5 gr of 231 powder (I like heavier bullets) in my Round guns - 38spec.
155 gr over 4.5 gr 231 in my .40
124 gr (cant remember the charge) for 9mm

In addition to complete metal jacket, magnums are not allowed either.

If you come, I think you will find that many are willing to offer help to new shooters and you will have a great time. [smile]

You are the best.... Thanks![grin]

Back
Top Bottom