• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sunday hunting hearing sept 18 results?

I believe if you ask bikers, walkers, joggers and picture takers to pay a use fee....you are labled as a statist on NES by some.

There fore I suggest the following. as hunting fees are statist as well, ...we do away with the hunting license fees, Pittman -Robertson 11% tax on guns, ammo, bows and arrows used for hunting, all game stamp fees, moose lottery fees, land stamp fees, all game seasons.....etc.

We then just then walk out into the woods and hunt anytime of the day, and any day of the week, any day of the year, and with any weapon we want. Equal rights I say, and no one can call me a statist for asking other to pay anything. So it must be A OK.

Got problems with it? Then your the statist.....

How many other states dont ban Sunday hunting?

I just want to hunt on Sunday. Is that too much to ask?

Last edited:
I have never been hunting before, but this no hunting on Sundays has got to be the dumbest frackin law on the books in MA. And that says A LOT!!

We have unbelievable over-populations of deer and many other animals in this state. A simple stroke of the pen could solve these problems, but narrow and uneducated thinking allows them to persist!

I just want to hunt on Sunday. Is that too much to ask?

dude...his ****ing KIDS and WIFE like to walk in the woods on Sunday. Can you stop being so selfish? HIS KIDS!!!!! You want people out with GUNZ that shoot BOOLITS in the woods with his KIDS??? Jerk.

hed_revised3.gif

SundayHuntingMap.jpg

11 States have some form (not all) of a ban on Sunday hunting......as usual we are in the "stupidity minority"

CT just passed Sunday Bowhunting on private lands last year.....

I'm sure by now you've heard of the exponential, no astronomical... rise in hunting accidents and dogs, cats and people shot with arrows. No?...FUNNY...I didn't either?

11 States have some form (not all) of a ban on Sunday hunting......as usual we are in the "stupidity minority"

CT just passed Sunday Bowhunting on private lands last year.....

I'm sure by now you've heard of the exponential, no astronomical... rise in hunting accidents and dogs, cats and people shot with arrows. No?...FUNNY...I didn't either?

This!

The two two twatwaffles on this thread that support Sunday ban........yeah.......they can eat a bag of dicks

- - - Updated - - -

No...it isn't.....especially since you PAY for it!

I've also written my rep and said if $ is an issue to get more epo to cover Sundays.....I would pay more for my license. The Sunday ban is bullshit.

This!

The two two twatwaffles on this thread that support Sunday ban........yeah.......they can eat a bag of dicks

- - - Updated - - -

I've also written my rep and said if $ is an issue to get more epo to cover Sundays.....I would pay more for my license. The Sunday ban is bullshit.

Typical Hunter.....offering to pay their fair share [smile]

I hunt CT....its a much better state to hunt and I can hunt Sundays.

4 states with a total Ban.....even Commiefornia and NY doesn't match us on this one. WTF.

Last edited:
I don't hunt in MA but I do in ME. I'd love to hunt on Sundays but according to SAM many smaller landowners say they will post their property if Sunday hunting is allowed.

Sucks when my round trip is almost 9 hours. The woods are packed on Saturday so I do my best to escape during the week but that doesn't always work in my favor. At least I've seen birds around!!!

I don't hunt in MA but I do in ME. I'd love to hunt on Sundays but according to SAM many smaller landowners say they will post their property if Sunday hunting is allowed.

Sucks when my round trip is almost 9 hours. The woods are packed on Saturday so I do my best to escape during the week but that doesn't always work in my favor. At least I've seen birds around!!!

I used to hunt NH for the Sunday hunting, and their non-res license is reasonable.

Puritans bedamned. I support the current law only b/c wife and Daughter #2 are big woods-walkers and love the Fall. It's nice to have a day where you can be RELATIVELY sure that there are no hunters about.

It is my one selfish desire within the laws, I believe. But it's not for economic benefit. It's for my family's peace of mind. :)

I hear ya, and I can understand your desires. I can't say that I agree with them but that is OK, I'm certainly not trying to be inflammatory or criticize you or your families recreational choices thats for sure.

I'd just like to ad that 99.9% of hunters don't want to interact with your family either, not in a bad way. We don't want to go into a treestand and have families strolling by or pets running amok, above all we emphasize safety and like to be as far away from the general public and non hunting members as much as possible. Additionally, we (at least I) don't want to drag a kill past your family, you might not like it, your little girl might not care to see a double lunged bambi, and I respect that. It's easier to just wait, or choose a path that might not interfere with those that don't care for hunting. Respect goes both ways. Not all hunters are these "display your deer on your car hood in the parking lot" type guys.

I understand there's a segment of the public that dislikes hunting, I don't feel it does anyone a favor by rubbing it in their faces though, have some class and respect for your quarry and others around you.

That said, even if I disagreed with you, I wouldn't want your legal activities limited in any way, especially if you paid to participate in them. I most certainly wouldn't curtail you from enjoying something for the sake of MY perceived safety and comfort.

Is been an ongoing debate up here, too.
Two things that hunters should be aware of if there is a chance to allow Sunday hunting:

1. More land will be posted. No way around it. Not saying those landowners are right or wrong, but it is their land.

2. The season will have to be shorter. You will be adding 3 or 4 days to a season with those Sundays. Very productive days if the proponents are to be believed. The kill will go up, so the season will have to be adjusted.

Two things that hunters should be aware of if there is a chance to allow Sunday hunting:

1. More land will be posted. No way around it. Not saying those landowners are right or wrong, but it is their land.

2. The season will have to be shorter. You will be adding 3 or 4 days to a season with those Sundays. Very productive days if the proponents are to be believed. The kill will go up, so the season will have to be adjusted.

In mass for most zones they want the success rate to go up on deer. They have not reached the desired population and are managing down......so what's the problem?

For small game......it won't matter too much not that many folks hunt rabbit and squirrel anyway.

Pheasant......that's a put and take program so added days means nothing.

Only game I see Sundays effecting the harvest rate is turkey. Add Sundays and lose a couple of weekdays and I'd be happy......I'd still get more hunting days in.

Last edited:
You don't want to know how many hunts we have had queered up by people out for their trespassing stroll on private property that WE have permission to be on and they don't.
With their mutts, horses, and ATVs .
Oh and how indignant they get when they are told they are trespassing.
After all they do feel they own all that is before their eyes.
We have a couple of weeks a year to hunt and if I can get a couple of more days that don't burn up my vacation time that would be sweet.
Selfish dicks that want all 52 weeks of the year for themselves and exclude everyone else from THIER woods, meet my friend Haywood.

The guy who works a full day on Saturday to pay for everybody else's health insurance and just maybe put a little towards the kids college doesn't really need to go hunting anyways, right?

As a hunter and some one who also enjoys family time in the woods I am against Sunday hunting. Hunters have the six days to hunt imo there is no need for adding Sunday. Take a day off call in sick but the excuse that Sunday is the only day is just that an excuse. In a state that is so anti why do anything to give them more to dislike? Leave things alone.

I work - what six days do I have to hunt? Why don't you and your family call in sick to enjoy the woods?

As a hunter and some one who also enjoys family time in the woods I am against Sunday hunting. Hunters have the six days to hunt imo there is no need for adding Sunday. Take a day off call in sick but the excuse that Sunday is the only day is just that an excuse. In a state that is so anti why do anything to give them more to dislike? Leave things alone.

Why do you get 7 days in the woods and I get 6?

Also.....some of us have work ethic and/or real jobs where Mon to Fri we are busy earning a living and don't leave our team mates in a bind by calling out sick.

I get the feeling you may not have the same ethics.....yes? No?

- - - Updated - - -

I work - what six days do I have to hunt? Why don't you and your family call in sick to enjoy the woods?

He clearly does not have a work ethic with the suggestion of Calling out sick.

Thinking that you need a Sunday ban on hunting so you can walk in the woods and feel "safe" is about the dumbest and most insulting thing (as a hunter) that I have ever heard.... and I seriously doubt those supporting the ban while claiming to be hunters are actually hunters.... Either that or they're projecting their own poor safety practices and judgement onto others...

Last edited:
Thinking that you need a Sunday ban on hunting so you can walk in the woods and feel "safe" is about the dumbest and most insulting thing (as a hunter) that I have ever heard.

But....but....you can call out sick and hunt.....it's for the children. [puke]

Puritans bedamned. I support the current law only b/c wife and Daughter #2 are big woods-walkers and love the Fall. It's nice to have a day where you can be RELATIVELY sure that there are no hunters about.

It is my one selfish desire within the laws, I believe. But it's not for economic benefit. It's for my family's peace of mind. :)

I am sooooo glad that they have metal detectors and bag inspections at the Big E. It is nice to have a day at a fair where you can be REATIVELY sure that there aren't any of those rednecks carrying those black extra killy guns about.

It's for my families piece of mind. [/sarcasm]

I was very surprised that Connecticut passed the limited Sunday bill last year. I can't imagine it passing in Massachusetts. It would be nice for the people that work and cart their kids around to various sports on Saturday to be able to get in the woods.

Bob

Hikers have the woods every other day in the year. So let hunters hunt on Sunday. If you go into the woods then wear hunter orange.

I am a service tech and I work Monday-Friday, I'm also on call some nights and 1-2 weekend every month. That leaves me with 2 of 3 saturdays to hunt for two and a half months. Do the math and I'm lucky to be in the woods about 6-8 times at best unless I'm fortunate enough to have vacation time.

To the guy saying we should use our vacation time to go hunt weekdays, you try telling your wife or girlfriend your spending your vacation time without her and see how well that works out. And I don't even have kids yet.

My brother is in a similar situation but he does have two young kids. Sometimes he will take his son into the treestand with him and give him the experience and knowledge of what it means to be a hunter and provide for the family. That leaves him with even less time to go hunt on his own because we all know how kids are and can't always sit still.

I am all for Sunday hunting because it allows us a little more precious time in the woods, and also give us some options to use our time with family and/or hunting. If you do not feel safe in the woods because someone "might" be hunting, there are plenty of pieces of woods that are posted and no hunting is allowed. Feel free to go on a nature hike 365 days a year to ease your mind. But MA hunting is a very short season and I cherish my time in the treestand.

Last edited:
I'm a bow Hunter that spends mornings in a very busy (hikers and bikers) public Conservation Land. Everyone gets along fine. I think it's convenient for the antis to say that the Sunday ban is needed to give non hunters safe access in the Fall.

That said, a Compromise could be to allow it until 10a on Sundays. The walkers should be in Church anyway.

Most places I've ever walked/hiked in MA had marked trails I stayed on and enough foot traffic that no hunter would be dumb enough to try to find an animal anywhere near there. For many years it never even occurred to me that people were in the same woods as me with shotguns. The "but mah childrenz!" argument is incredibly selfish and downright ignorant.

I don't have a problem with shortening seasons, when you can add a day that most can hunt because they have it off. Rather than adding 5-6 days that most cannot because they are working.

They have the right to post it if they disagree with Sunday hunting. IMHO, you should have permission if your on private land anyway as a courtesy to the landowner. I'm used to dealing with private land laws down in CT and the Berkshires anyway, where by law you must have written permission. It's pretty much how I hunt up in MA too. I don't want to be on anyone's land if they don't know me or at least have an idea I might be out there.

The private land laws in the northeast are weird to me where if its not posted you can just walk on....disrespectful IMHO. And like Sunday hunting bans, most of the country is written permission laws, not like the Northeast walk on if its not posted.

Last edited:

We legalized Sunday hunting on private land in Virginia several years ago and the seasons are still the same length.

Do you support the ban on "assault weapons" and 10+ round mags too? I mean, more days for hunting means more people dying, just like more rounds in a mag means more people dying, just look at the rest of the country where these bans don't exist....oh wait...

Back
Top Bottom